The Death Of DALnet

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA -- DALnet's nightmare keeps getting worse as the beleaguered network lost the typhoon.dal.net hub and its all-important twisted.dal.net server in one fell swoop.

The admin of both these servers, frink, delinked them for what two high-placed sources at the network are only calling "personal reasons".

frink told IRCNews, "For the past two years I have operated twisted.dal.net, the largest irc clientserver to my knowledge, having held 58391 users at one point. Due to irreconcilable differences of opinion with other DALnet administration, I have decided to discontinue my link to DALnet. I wish DALnet the best of luck in the future."

With all other DALnet servers suffering under the crushing load of its client-base, the loss of twisted could prove to be one of the final nails in the coffin for DALnet - who were the world's largest IRC network as recently as August 15th, 2002. The network has since plummetted to 5th and all indications are that DALnet may be a sinking ship.

"Running a dalnet server hasn't been fun for a long time. And I finally reached a point where it made sense to just stop," said frink.

Enough said.

(Care of http://www.ircnews.com/index.php)

Things are looking grim for my second favorite way to communicate via the internet. Anyone have any thoughts on this news and how it will affect #Wingnut?

well being that nobody is in #wingnut right now cause nobody can connect to DALnet, probably means #wingnut should move. My gaming clan, Drakhai, has already moved our channel to another provider. Smaller and not as many users but we get left alone. No stupid spam bots or anything like that, I think we had a split briefly once last month. Other then that never had a problem connecting to craplink or getting disconnected by peer. Just other networks are so damn evil, Hades, LOAF, Kris, Death, ect should search our another friendly IRC network to inhabit

Well, Fucking DALnet, like an hour trying to join Wingnut and all the servers are full...but if Wildfire (and Death *rimshot* ) is the only one there i´m not missing too much.

I was never on, I talked to Trelane who was on matrix.dal.net before he went off to a party

It seesm that DALnet is really fucking broken, 2 hours of Server Full in every server, if someone want to join i´m in AFTERnet in the wingnut channel.

Hades and I have been on kernel-c.nj.us.dal.net most of the evening. A few disconnects and some lag, though.

I'd be much inclined to stay on dalnet if they can reshuffle their load and sort their servers soon. At the same time, we can't very well operate an irc channel on a network that is split all to hell for hours each day. If you do a /links you'll see there's like eight new servers, including kernel-c.dal.net that aren't in things like mirc's latest server.ini update. Perhaps if those pan out and those take some of the load off the primary hubs, things will fix themselves. It's no secret that I want to have a big Prophecy launch party on irc next month, and I want everyone to be able to connect to that.

I haven't invited anybody yet.. primarily because the date has kept shifting.

I still can't see to conect under any form or fashion to IRC...

From www.dal.net:

"DALnet Message Of The Day
It is a sad fact that it has been somewhat difficult to connect to DALnet for some time. There are several reasons for this, including ongoing attacks and a loss of servers.
This weekend, these problems have increased. DALnet has been under an unusually strong, unusually persistent attack. These attacks are directed at all DALnet client servers, rather than just a few.

The DALnet administration is working with service providers and with law enforcement to stop these attacks, but this is not an easy task. We apologize for the disruption, and ask that you bear with us through these difficult times."

Update: Eight hours after the initial post of this news item, DalNet even completely dissapeared from the top 30 list of networks on NetSplit.de. The current statistics page for DalNet showed the bot could not get connected to any server.

http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/DALnet/current.var

That puppy is dead as a doorknob. Anyone use Gamesnet? :)

Back