The Confed Army?

papachulo10

Spaceman
We keep on seeing the Confed Marines. What I want to know is where is the army. Marines are only supposed to be there for a little while until the army gets in. Where is the army and what ships do they use to transport their Material. The normal marine transports wouldn't work. You would need larger ships that have the capacity for some armor. Like tanks and APC's and the like.

The US marines got tanks, APC and even fighters over their own command.
Its simple really, WC uses the US WW II type in the game, There may be a Army but its more likely to be a Planetary Defence army only, like there is no Confed air force in the game but goverment milicias that defend planetary lanes.
Besides the Marines are the Beachead units, the Army are for defend the ground that they have taken.

There might not be a Confed Air Force, but there is a Confed Space Force.. and it has atmospheric craft.

Almost totally off topic but....

From what I understand the Confederation is kinda loosely governed, with systems having alot of freedom. So what i'm wondering is how much are the militias backed by confed? Are they like a true militia and have to scrownge for themselves, or does Confed open some equipment to them?

About having an Army, how would they function? Would there be Army bases on every planet, or do they consolidate into only where they need to be. Having all of these other forms of protection sort of drowns out the need for a milita, at least an official one. Not like those militia's in the US who are sure WW3 is coming.

[Edited by Ladiesman^ on 01-28-2001 at 20:28]

I understand what you are sayin. But in Wing commander the Marines never you armor and if they did they could not drop down that much if they wanted to save space on their drop ships. They would probbably make a compromise and go for armor like the ones used in Aleins. The dropship would probbably have a small wing of atmospheric fighters for support of the ground troopers. The dropship would also be similalry equiped. But the army would need more larger ships and heavier armor. They would probbably have a larger aircraft complement also. This could be considered the air force but i believe that when a base is established on a hostile planet Confed would send fighters and transports to protect the base. This could be considered the airforce.

Have you ever read Wing Commander: End Run?
From this book Forstchen the author makes it clear that the Marines not only have dropships that carry troops, but also ones that carry heavy weaponry like hover tanks, and mech type units. The US Marines even today can easily use LCACs (hovercraft) to land tanks, or up to six humvees on a beachhead in one trip. Our Marines can also use the CH-53 SuperStallion to carry an M1A1 and land it ashore. In WC from what I got from the Book, the Space Marines have troop/LAV landing craft and heavy dropships.

About the Marines being at a certain location for a little while; Marines are the first ones sent in, but often times they may get left to fend for themselves for much longer. (Guadalcanal) The same is for WC with the Battle of Repleeta. The Space Marines there fought for ten years.

BTW in a primarily naval war, such as in WC, the marines would be better, just like in WWII in the pacific theater, the marines played a far bigger role than the army

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
Almost totally off topic but....

From what I understand the Confederation is kinda loosely governed, with systems having alot of freedom. So what i'm wondering is how much are the militias backed by confed? Are they like a true militia and have to scrownge for themselves, or does Confed open some equipment to them?

The Landreich (which is mentioned in a number of the novels, and I always felt became the basis for the Union of Border Worlds) did buy surplus stuff from Confed after the war. During the war, they actually stole some equipment from Confed. I'm not sure how the Priv miltia forces were armed, whether the Talons were castoffs from COnfed, or built for the Gemini government at New Detroit or a shipyard somewhere.

In "Fleet Action," the Joint Chiefs of Staff were the heads of the Army, Marine Corps and Navy, whereas in the modern U.S. forces, the JCS are the heads of the Army, Air Force and Navy.

Is the Space Force perhaps an arm of the Navy? If they were, it would explain why Space Force personnel ship out on Naval carriers so often, and how they can shift back and forth between Space Force and Naval ranks.

In all of the Chris Roberts WC games, the Space Force is exclusively responsible for fighter operations - ALL fighter personnel in WC1 through WC4 held Space Force ranks. On the other hand, in WCProphecy, there is some overlap, with the commander air group being a Naval Commander, rather than a Space Force Colonel.

Fortunately, there isn't as much overlap as there is in Forstchen's novels, wherein Naval and Space Force personnel seem to be almost interchangable - Lieutenant Commanders seem to frequently fly on the wing of Majors.

So what gives here?

Originally posted by Iceberg
In "Fleet Action," the Joint Chiefs of Staff were the heads of the Army, Marine Corps and Navy, whereas in the modern U.S. forces, the JCS are the heads of the Army, Air Force and Navy.

I would have to agree with most everthing what you said, but just one small note. In the U.S. armed forces, the Joint Chiefs of Staff include the Marine Corps as well. The National security act of 1947 established a place for the Marine Corps on the the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The Commandant of the Marine Corps General Jones is the person who sits on the JCS.

The only way you would have only the Army, Air force and Navy on any panel is during war time when those three services can create five-star generals and admirals. Due to the fact that the Marine Corps is a department of the Navy there cannot currently be a five-star Marine General.

whats going on with the army

For info:

the army wants to become more like the marines.they want a new army.

they have contracted lockheed martin to do it and want it done by 2007. which aint gonna happen

speaking of repleetah, at one point in wc4 lt. col decker says "you're looking at a veteran of repleetah..." how can he be, since everyone died and in victory streak we are told that "lt (someone) leads a last ditch assault on the kilrathi positions. no one survives this act on either side". im probably missing something obvious though...

Originally posted by Master_Anarchist
speaking of repleetah, at one point in wc4 lt. col decker says "you're looking at a veteran of repleetah..." how can he be, since everyone died and in victory streak we are told that "lt (someone) leads a last ditch assault on the kilrathi positions. no one survives this act on either side". im probably missing something obvious though...

Dekker was the only man that ever escape a kilrathi POW camp(see the rest he say), I take that he was captured and was taken off planet before the whole repleetah battle becames inrelevant to both sides and they stop sending reinforcements to that planet.

Also grunt left Repleetah as well, implying that Dekker could also have been taken off by the last confed transport before all of Repleetah was abbondoned

Back