The Books

Rayvyn

Spaceman
I've read a few of 'em. I didn't realize there were as many as there are.

Since I can't get any of the games to work on my computer, and the earliest I've played was WC3, dos anyone know if any of the books cover 1 and 2? I have the novelization of 3. It kind of loses something when you don't have the option of making decisions to shape the story.

But since I don't know jack about the story of 1 or 2, I'd have no qualms about reading said stories.

Does anyone know?

Heya,
There's no novel that covers the first two books... but the strategy guide for the original two games was written *as* a novel. It's called "Wing Commander I & II: The Ultimate Strategy Guide", by Mike Harrison. It tells the story of all the original missions as though they were happening to the author of the book.

You might also try Freedom Flight, which is the story of the first game's addon (Secret Missions 2).

Thanks for the help.

I can't remember which ones I have. I'll have to pull the shroud off my bookcase. God only knows what I'll find. Come to think of it, I believe I used to have a cat....

Thanks for the help.
I can't remember which ones I have. I'll have to pull the shroud off my bookcase. God only knows what I'll find. Come to think of it, I believe I used to have a cat....

Well here they are in order (of release):

WC CIC Books page

Wing Commander: Freedom Flight
Mercedes Lackey & Ellen Guon
1992, Baen Books, ISBN 0-671-72145-3. 275pp
First printing: December, 1992
Second printing: ?

Wing Commander: End Run
Christopher Stasheff & William R. Forstchen
1994, Baen Books, ISBN 0-671-72200-X. 310pp

Wing Commander: Fleet Action
William R. Forstchen
1994, Baen Books, ISBN 0-671-72211-5. 296pp
First printing: March, 1994
Second printing: May, 1995

Wing Commander: Heart of the Tiger
William R. Forstchen & Andrew Keith
1995, Baen Books, ISBN 0-671-87653-6. 373pp
First printing: April, 1995
Second printing: May, 1995

Wing Commander: The Price of Freedom
William R. Forstchen & Ben Ohlander
1996, Baen Books, ISBN 0-671-87751-8. 345pp

Wing Commander: Action Stations
William R. Forstchen
1998, Baen Books, ISBN 0-671-878559-X. 345pp

Wing Commander: False Colors
William R. Forstchen & Andrew Keith
1999, Baen Books, ISBN 0-671-57784-0. 470pp

Then the movie tie ins are:

Wing Commander
Peter Telep
1999, HarperCollins. ISBN 0-06-105985-4. 244pp

Pilgrim Stars
Peter Telep
1999, HarperCollins. ISBN 0-06-105986-2. 301pp

Last edited by a moderator:
personally, I was at used book store this weekend in Everett, WA, and found 2 copies of End Run (I bought one) and a copy of Action Stations (I didn't buy that one)...

They're out there, but can be hard to find... used book stores are an excellent option!

What's the difference between :

Wing Commander
Peter Telep
1999, HarperCollins. ISBN 0-06-105985-4. 244pp

and

Pilgrim Stars
Peter Telep
1999, HarperCollins. ISBN 0-06-105986-2. 301pp?

Also, is that Everett WESTERN AUSTRALIA? or some American state?

Probably an American state -- WA is Washington (state) in US reckoning.

Those are two different novels. "Wing Commander" is the adaptation of the Wing Commander film... Pilgrim Stars is a sequel story.

Washington state's abbreviation is WA. AFAIK there isn't even an Everett in Oz (though I'm hardly an Australia expert, aside from knowing much of the "Crocodile Dundee" movies are Follywood BS).

I concur with FloundericiousMI. Over the years, I've seen all the WC Books at used bookstores, save False Colors. Of course, the selection at a used bookstore changes quite often. However, in my experience, the sellers are often willing to let you know when a certain item comes in if you ask them to.

If that fails, check the local mass bookstore (Barnes and Noble and or Borders), if it's been there for a good while. They might still have WC books lying around. I found False Colors at a Borders in 2004. It's a longshot, but you never know.

No, *this* is a Longshot:

k-p-longshot.jpg

:)

Back