The Behemoth in WCIII was a stupid idea

More on Hobbes...

Mjr. Whoopass said:
Given the covert requirement of the Behemoth project, I would hope that I would have the good sense to be skeptical of putting a Kilrathi on a strike team destined to kill his own planet. Even if Hobbes was loyal to Confed, blowing up an entire planet that was the Kilrathi homeworld and had old friends and family living on it would be bound to cause conflict in even the most loyal defectors. Of course "loyal defector" seems to be a contradiction of terms.

First time poster here, brand new to the CIC Forums.

I'd have to agree. While it made for a good plot line, I would have to say that this was one of the few aspects of the WC saga that made the story less enjoyable for me. They should have done it some other way. What I mean is that a defector is NEVER trusted. Any of their information that is provided is cross-checked to the extent possible. Of course, much of the information provided by Hobbes during his debriefing process was undoubtedly treated in such a way. But today, and definitely in this saga, where mere defeat would not be the result, but rather annihilation, defectors may provide good, perhaps even critical information, but are never trusted. They certainly would not be permitted to be in a position of authority, regardless of how many times their "loyalty" is proven. Advisor? Consultant? Absolutely. Member of the military? Never.

it made for good fiction, but something so basic is more than a bit disappointing.

Hobbes' family died in the war, and Kilrah wasn't his personal homeworld. *I* trusted Hobbes completely after years of interaction with him, so I never had any problem with his position whatsoever. I personally flew with him and trusted him as my wingman on missions for years. I find people who just jumped into things at WC3 having never read Freedom Flight or played WC2 through Special Operations 2 don't take this into account.

Dyret said:
I thought that was more like "LOL! Cool!"

No, you're behind.

AD said:
What possible reasons do we have to believe this? The whole temblor bomb was secret but there is no indication that that it was some kind of black op that the black lance were involved in. The operation, under paladins oversight (paladin has always had a part in covert operations throughout the WC series), after all had Angel and her squad infiltrate kilrah(and resulted in their capture and execution) were a part of the whole operation as well. (didn't they plant some kind of devices to augment the effect of the temblor bomb as well as get detailed info on the seismic makeup of the planet?) It doesn't seem likely (unless it was part of one of his regular commision assignment and not black lance) that Seether would have had any part in it, especially since Tolwyn, of whom seether was a prized asset, was pushing the behemoth project.

Well it does seem that, based on the events of hte battle of Earth and based on what is said by Tolywn in WC3, that the Terran High Command KNEW that they were losing the war. And once the battle of earth was done, it seemed that every longshot that they had was being pushed forward before they were ready (the Behemoth) because they had no other choice.

Obviously, I can see how some really good covert ops people would have been responsible for entering those asteroid fields and building those two asteroid bases within the Kilrah system. But the Temblor Bomb being secreted into the system and waiting for BLair would have taken some skill.

So yes, I guess that is just hyberbole that it was Seether. Although he might have been presented as a really good pilot that would be needed to get the T-Bomb into Kilrah for BLair to eventually use.

Sigmar Maximus said:
Obviously, I can see how some really good covert ops people would have been responsible for entering those asteroid fields and building those two asteroid bases within the Kilrah system. But the Temblor Bomb being secreted into the system and waiting for BLair would have taken some skill.

So yes, I guess that is just hyberbole that it was Seether. Although he might have been presented as a really good pilot that would be needed to get the T-Bomb into Kilrah for BLair to eventually use.

There's just absolutely no reason to make something like that up though. Something shouldn't be tossed around as a debatable theory merely because it's within the realm of physical possibility. Maybe Blair's injury and six month down-time was a ruse so he could do it himself, and then his memory was blanked!

Back