The Art of Wing Commander Arena - Part Eleven (October 17, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Several people have noted that the Bearcat seen in our last installment doesn't really look much like a... Bearcat. Well, you're in luck - here's another sketch which shows it from another angle. Remember that at this point in development this was a 'top down' game - so you would have seen the inset rather than the Rapier-style perspective view. It's still not a clear jump from Wing Commander IV to here, but you can see where it came from!

This is part of a series of beautiful Wing Commander Arena concept images graciously provided by Gaia Industries. You can find the original article here. You can thank the guys at Gaia by picking up Street Trace NYC on Xbox Live Arcade![LOAF[/url]] [# 8234] [Discuss]

--
Original update published on October 17, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still sort of iffy on this design, but I like this sketch. Is it just me, or does it look a lot like a Tigershark from above?

From the side it has a bit more resemblance to a Bearcat (nose section and bussards) although the top down view reminds me a lot of the Rapier with a very pointy nose. I don't see as much Tigershark because of the angles at the wingtips, although doesn't the rudder seem like an odd thing to attach?

I like the front of this sketch more than the first one, it is definitely more along the lines of the Bearcat. Very interesting piece.

Odd, I think that the top-down view shows more the relation with the old Bearcat: the lines of the fuselage. Gah, it's too early in the morning, I don't find the right words. Anyway, it looks a bit more like the Bearcat but it's still not obvious.

I am getting kind of a Tigershark vibe from the top down perspective. But I loved the Tigershark in Prophecy (I thought it was the coolest looking fighter IMHO), and I think this Bearcat rocks. It almost looks like they were bridging the gap between the TigerShark and the Hellcat/Bearcat (probably wrong). But it works for me, definately on my wishlist for a new confed fighter if Arena gets an update. The only thing that I would change imho, is the middle tail-fin.

Back