That Stings! (March 16, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Here's another cool present from veteran Wing Commander artist Sean Murphy: Max and 3DS conversions of the original FMV-quality Nephilim Stingray model! Sean says that people wanting to render the ship will need to make up a couple new textures, because some of the original Alias materials didn't have Max equivalents -- in particular, the glowing cannon tips. It seems pretty darned neat regardless, though... so fan artists should get to work making some big Stingray battle scenes! Grab it here (11.5 megs).

--
Original update published on March 16, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the Murphy, Midway, Shrike, Devastator, and Vindicator left to convert...did I already post the Shrike? Can't remember (getting old!). Some of the ships - Midway and Devastator in particular - have some texture funkiness I need to correct before I can post them. But soon. Soooooon.

Neat. Sadly I'm limited to deep exploration, which isn't too kind to the model. I'm looking forward to trying to get these into a game :)

What kind of format does it prefer? I'm using PolyTrans to convert the original models, so I've got a laundry list of formats I can convert to...

Not certain, its been a while since I've really played around with it and I don't have many models to hand since I formatted my PC not too long ago, I'll try some out tomorrow.

Ideally I'd be interested in converting them to x files with the effect instance structures filled out, I could then view them in my own apps very easily (and the DX sdk has a viewer to test them out in just as easily as deep exploration).

Well, original original format was Alias PowerAnimator format, but I upconverted them to Maya Ascii format a few years back.

Thats cool, well just having a play with the stingray in lightwave. Anything in 3DS is ace as I can directly import, max is sadface for me :(

BTW Pedro, love the saying from Jack O'Neill, stargate. Make me laugh everytime. One of my fav eps that time loop one!

Back