Texture Smoothing in PSII Version of WC3/4

I don’t know if this has been posted before, but while messing around with the options on a thin PlayStation 2, I found that texture smoothing can be enabled for old PS1 games. This includes the PlayStation version of WC3 (tested), and possibly WC4 (which I don’t own). This is done for any PS1 game without emulators on original hardware, although I imagine anyone running a PS emulator has been doing this for years.

To get to the option, just enter the main menu for the console, highlight Browser and press triangle to enter the Version Menu. Using the menu options, Texture Mapping can be changed to Smooth.

I tested WC3, and sure enough it worked! The smoothing is pretty rudimentary, but it’s cool to enable a feature that nobody anticipated being available when this game was developed. Screenshots included, but they aren’t great.
IMG_8046.jpeg
IMG_8047.jpeg
IMG_8048.jpeg
IMG_8049.jpeg
IMG_8050.jpeg
IMG_8053.jpeg

I don’t know if this has been posted before, but while messing around with the options on a thin PlayStation 2, I found that texture smoothing can be enabled for old PS1 games. This includes the PlayStation version of WC3 (tested), and possibly WC4 (which I don’t own). This is done for any PS1 game without emulators on original hardware, although I imagine anyone running a PS emulator has been doing this for years.

I tested WC3, and sure enough it worked! The smoothing is pretty rudimentary, but it’s cool to enable a feature that nobody anticipated being available when this game was developed. Screenshots included, but they aren’t great.

That's a good tip! I actually don't think it's been posted before, so definitely worth sharing!

Duckstation permits bilinear filtering, internal scaling and 2x2 xbrz scaling, i haven't tested it but with quake 2 PSX is another experience

Back