Text to Speech not avalible error

U

Unregistered

I downloaded, FC 1.0.1 and every time I use flightcommander.exe the MS-DOS box says

"Text to Speech not available"

the screen then turns black and then goes back to normal. How can I fix this?

(That was me, I didn't log in, I'm on a different computer...the one I download stuff on)

Please understand that the 50 mb would take too long for me to download, and I don't this my computer could take much more downloadable stuff, so I downloaded the smallest...

I got it from your site.

I can't even get the game to appear, the text to speech thing won't let me.

Ok I installed both things under the 1.5 that mention the text to speech, now it says Text to Speech engine found. The screen then goes black for about a second and then it goes back to before it started the program (Which means still no game :( ) What am I doing wrong?

OK, please run the game from the command prompt. Let's see if it has any error messages of interest. Paste the full text over here.
But realize that I'm not able to provide bug fixes for something as old as 1.0.1.

You could try using a newer exe and just hope that the rest of the files havent changed too much.

Flight Commander 1.5.2
Flight Commander 1.4.1
Flight Commander 1.3.1

that still requires he download the entire ZIP though. SO someone would have to send it to him. Really, the best solution is to just download the latest version. I fail to see how downloading 50MB would be too painful (then again I downloaded all of Secret ops on dialup back when it came out). If you have a CD burner, just download it on a faster connection and put it on a CD. How hard can that be?

Ok, I downloaded 1.5 and the same thing happens, I double click Flightcommander.exe and a small black MS-DOS box appears, it says, "Text to Speech engine found" then, "Flight Commander 1.5."

After that, the screen goes black for a second and the reverts to normal, with no MS-DOS box or game.

Please run the game from the command prompt. Maybe there's an error message there that we'd not see otherwise.

Start -> Run
Then type in cmd or command.
The go to the Flight Commander directory,
eg.

cd\ (go to the root of c drive)
cd games
cd flight commander
flightcommander

Of course you'll need to change the example to fit your directory structure.

Got it, It says this:

"Failed to create OpenGL rendering content."

Please don't tell me it has to do with DirectX.

Got it, It says this:

Ha, thats the funnist thing I've heard all day. Sure I just woke up, but anyway. No, nothing to do with DirectX. OpenGL is the open source equivalent to DirectX. So, graphics for Windows are done in OpenGL and DirectX. Graphics for every other OS (nearly) is OpenGL.

What graphic card do you have? Have you updated its drivers? If not, ouch, thats another big download waiting to happen.

If Intel:
The drivers packaged with Windows don't support OpenGL out of the box. You'll need to download the drivers from their website.

Got it, It says this:

It's an OpenGl problem. Basically it's a problem with your drivers for your graphics card. So you'll have to update your drivers.

Where do you update your gfx card? Do I buy a new one? >.> Your looking at the youngest WC player ever, so don't think I know everything about computers.

OpenGL is not open source. It's an alternate proramming interface to Directx.

Ah, I meant open standard. :D

Where do you update your gfx card? Do I buy a new one? >.> Your looking at the youngest WC player ever, so don't think I know everything about computers.

Great.

start -> right click on My Computer -> go down to properties -> hardware tab -> Device Manager -> click on the + next to the display adapter.

The thing that pops down should be the name of your graphic card. For me its a NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300.

Then right click on the device and go to properties. Click on the driver tab and post what you graphic card is, and the driver information that comes up. (Provider/Date/Version)

Back