Terminator 3 Thoughts, Oppinions, Comments

Wow that was a big post encompasing several points........ though i think that she had her plasma weapon cause it was inside her human flesh stuff that allows her to travel....

they didnt really explain why the liquid metal survived when it wasnt really living tissue.

still the plasma weapon was good, though the flame thrower sucked it didnt even roast arnies face down to the metal or anything.

Lord_Nathrakh said:
Wow that was a big post encompasing several points...
I've been away for a while. Plus I'm not answering to as many threads as before.

Lord_Nathrakh said:
they didnt really explain why the liquid metal survived when it wasnt really living tissue.
The living tissue thing is obviously a plot device to prevent the Terminators from bringing weapons from the future. I suppose it's conceivable for the time-travel technology to have improved somewhat to account for liquid metal, even if other weapons can't make it . I suppose it's a stretch, but if you can believe AI machines taking over the world...

Maybe someone knows the answer to this, I've always wondered. Since everytime we see the future, the sky is dark, did the machines somehow blot out the sun or something. Seems Matrix-esque to me anyhow. It is interesting to see some similarities between the two series also.

Yeah- I guess its not far enough in the future for the Earth to have lost the heat from the sun. Wait now my head is spinning too fast. I'll stop asking questions about a fantasy world in the future. It's not a good idea.

Hobbie said:
Maybe someone knows the answer to this, I've always wondered. Since everytime we see the future, the sky is dark, did the machines somehow blot out the sun or something. Seems Matrix-esque to me anyhow. It is interesting to see some similarities between the two series also.

If you watched the awesome anime "The Second Renaissance" of the Animatrix series, you'd find out that the humans used a procedure to block out the sun to stop the robots to use solar power. Of course, we all know how the robots countered that manuever. And, well, we know what happened to the sky in the Terminator series.

Hobbie said:
It is interesting to see some similarities between [Terminator and Matrix].
I don't really see any specific similarities, just a similar theme.

Bandit LOAF said:
Perpetual darkness, one of the unpleasant side-effects of nuclear winter (G)
I thought there was some sort of 'day' time because the Resistance has to do all their fighting at night. Or something like that.

ChanceKell said:
...the humans [in "Second Renaissance"] used a procedure to block out the sun to stop the robots to use solar power.
I always thought that plan was suicidal. Even if it did stop the machines, how were the people supposed to survive?

One could speculate that they had been building the underground cities and that they figured that instead of just dying anyway, they could try and take down the machines and maybe not die.

We don't even have enough resources to support everyone now, not the way they're distributed currently anyway. There's no way underground cities could be constructed for everyone.

Wedge009 said:
We don't even have enough resources to support everyone now, not the way they're distributed currently anyway. There's no way underground cities could be constructed for everyone.

It´s fantasy, science-fiction.

After reading the thread, a few comments:

1) In T1, the reason why they explain sending both Kyle Reese and the first Terminator back naked, outside of showing off Arnold's musculature, is because only organics could be coated in the conductive gel (which became the white ash) that helped form the fime field around them. By T2, this process has apparently changed - the T1000's a liquid polyalloy, just as the outer shell of the T-X is. For the first movie, I think the excuse was used to explain why neither the Terminator or Kyle Reese could be equipped with plasma weapons or future equipment, thus necessitating the gun-shop robbery on Arnold's part.

2) T3... well... what can I say? It's not a Cameron movie, being more of a special FX romp than T2 was, but lacking the... oh... humanity that the second movie had. The T-800 in that movie had been adjusted by the Resistance to learn a few new directives, then had its 'read/write' switch set to 'read-only'. They changed this so that Arnold could learn to say 'hasta la vista' and use the thumbs-up while in the Mexican garage, though that scene was cut out of the initial theatrical release.

3) Interesting to contrast the themes of T2 versus T3 isn't it? In the former, the theme is "The future is not yet set. We decide what the future will be." The third seems to state "Shit happens, and there's nothing you can do about it." Is this a reflection of changing times? The former indicated that the future COULD be looked forward to, that there was hope - even for a killing machine, and the humans who would create the circumstances that led to such a device. T3, on the other hand, seems to say 'no matter what you do, it's not good enough - you can only hope you survive, because terrorists or hypersentient computers will always win and kill all your loved ones'.

4) I don't think the humans in "The Second Renaissance" either intended to survive, or else they intended to move off-planet after the war was over.... though the way they fought the machines in Part II seemed to suggest that everyone was crazy anyways.

There's really no point arguing about how their time travelling works. Its all wrong. But what annoys me the most is where did the knowledge for building the Terminator CPUs come from? CyberDyne was the one that did the research and built them but their research was based on the T-800 from the first movie...

time I posted on this...

Just saw the movie tonigh (UK premier) and here are my thoughts being a pretty big fan of the Terminator movies, I'll start with the bad as I preffer to end on a high note:

End showdown virtually non existant, the T-X and Arnie needed a real end to eachother

Extension of the previous point, too little emphasis on the T-X, sometimes you completley forgot she was after them, there was NO sense of fear, her scenes were minimal and short lived. The military robots distracted from her also, it would have made little difference to the plot if she weren't even there.

Plot was too scattered, too much focus on taking down skynet when it was impossible to do so

Original score completley missing, minimalist music was a mistake

Acting from Johns future wife was plain horrible, and don't even get me started on her fathers death scene.

Coincidence of the Terminator finding John and his future wife in the same place at the same time, conincidence of the T-X finding them in the bunker, conincidence of arnie landing on her, conincidence of particle accelerator, too many conincidences.

Not enough gore for a movie centred around killing machines, we can live with a higher rating, most of the fans are adults.

Now the good! :)

Fantastic car chase sequence

It was genuinley funny, the audience laughed out loud on several occassions.

John Connor wasn't an annoying bratt you wanted to kill YOURSELF, and he could ACT! :eek:

T-X was HOT! (sorry had to be said)

Ending was clever and set up the sequels beautifully

The birth of sky net was well done, the birth of an AI could so easily have been made cheesy (Resident Evils AI anyone? :p)

T-X was a genuinley clever fusion of the T-101 and T-1000

The scene with arnie fighting the virus, whilst HEAVILY underexplored (there was so much room for more there) was well acted and well written, well shot, well just perfect ;)

Basically the film felt dumbed down as have been most american films latley (god damn you america for cursing the Bond name with Die Another Day, you wanna mess up bond make ur own films starring Vin Diesel, and what was the Hulk about?!) but it was enjoyable, flawed but enjoyable. Basically above average, below the status of the first 2. I did care if connor died in this one or not unlike T2 and the comedy was less cheesy AND funnier, infact given time I may preffer this to T2 but its becoming clear to me the greatness of T1 will never be surpassed.

Pedro said:
Extension of the previous point, too little emphasis on the T-X, sometimes you completley forgot she was after them, there was NO sense of fear, her scenes were minimal and short lived. The military robots distracted from her also, it would have made little difference to the plot if she weren't even there.

I thought that we got to see more of the T-X than the T-1000 in the last movie. It was true that she wasn't nearly as scary.. But, remember, we were younger when we saw T2. Also, the actress just copied the acting of Robert Patrick, so it wasn't anything new.

Original score completley missing, minimalist music was a mistake

Are you saying that T3 has minimalistic music? I like the score of T3, but looking back afterwards at the other movies, I realized it was the first two who has the minimalist score, based on composer Marco Beltrami's way of thinking "give basic tones, let the audience feel the emotions, don't force emotions onto them with orchestas."

Acting from Johns future wife was plain horrible...

Perhaps if John would have just simply, and slowly, laid out the facts of what had happened, and what was supposed to happen, the girl wouldn't have been freaking out throughout the entire movie.

Coincidence of the Terminator finding John and his future wife in the same place at the same time...

Perhaps one reason could be Fate, the other Hollywood Necessity? Besides, it wasn't like it was John's first time stealing from the vets.

conincidence of the T-X finding them in the bunker...

The T-800 mentioned several times, in T2 and T3, that it would be unwise to go to certain locations since they would be the most logical place for the person to go, and the bad Terminator would know that. I believe he mentioned it at the campsite.

conincidence of particle accelerator...

Nope. I remember that John specifically activated the accelerator in case the T-X followed.

Fantastic car chase sequence

Yeah right! How does a machine get capable of controlling automobiles? They aren't RC cars...

T-X was HOT!

Agreed.

I thought that the endinge sequence was excellent, even though it didn't seem right. Still, brought a tear to my eye.

The scene with arnie fighting the virus, whilst HEAVILY underexplored (there was so much room for more there) was well acted and well written, well shot, well just perfect ;)

Yeah.. But it's not as good as the T-800s death in T2...

This is without a doubt, one of the worst films I have ever seen. Everything about it is totaly inferior to the second Terminator movie which is quite possibly one of the greatest sci-fi films ever. Its a perfect example of how to wreck something great. Thats my opinion anyway, ignore at will. BTW has anyone seen "Donnie Darko"? Now thats what is known as quality film......

Haesslich said:
3) Interesting to contrast the themes of T2 versus T3 isn't it? In the former, the theme is "The future is not yet set. We decide what the future will be." The third seems to state "Shit happens, and there's nothing you can do about it." Is this a reflection of changing times?
Yeah... T3 is a good example of how the political climate can have impact on an apparently apolitical story. Judgement Day happening is a reflection of the fact that September 11th happened. Where the previous films, and especially the Cold War-era T1 were set in the shadow, both fictional and real-life, of a possible future disaster, T3 is set after a real-life disaster had already taken place.

Pedro said:
Not enough gore for a movie centred around killing machines, we can live with a higher rating, most of the fans are adults.
I don't mind bullet-shooting violence in movies, but I don't appreciate gore. The arm through the FBI agent thing is plenty enough gore for me.

Pedro said:
It was genuinely funny, the audience laughed out loud on several occassions.
That happened in my session too, but I still think there was too much of it (the comedy, that is).

Pedro said:
Well, I'm glad someone liked it. Of course, the fact that it sets up the sequel(s) so nicely is a big reason why I personally didn't like the ending.

Pedro said:
The birth of Skynet was well done...
I thought it was odd for everything to become active with only a single press of the 'Y' button. But it's a really minor thing.

Pedro said:
Hmm. For me, that part was a bit weird.

ChanceKell said:
Also, the actress just copied the acting of Robert Patrick, so it wasn't anything new.
Not that Patrick had much to try that hard as the T-1000. :) Still, he said more than the T-X, I really don't think she said more than three lines: "I like your car", "I like your gun", and "Kathryn Brewster? No."

ChanceKell said:
"give basic tones, let the audience feel the emotions, don't force emotions onto them with orchestas."
Yeah, like the T-1000's one-note 'theme'. :)

ChanceKell said:
Perhaps if John would have just simply, and slowly, laid out the facts of what had happened, and what was supposed to happen, the girl wouldn't have been freaking out throughout the entire movie.
As if she would believe him. :) I actually feel sorry for her: "Sorry about all this, but today your fiancé dies, your father dies, the whole world dies, but someday you'll be my wife."

ChanceKell said:
Yeah right! How does a machine get capable of controlling automobiles? They aren't RC cars...
Nanobots. But I didn't even like that idea, our technology is far too primitive to accept commands from computers. Unless they've suddenly upgraded US police cars to run on computers instead of mechanics.

ChanceKell said:
I thought that we got to see more of the T-X than the T-1000 in the last movie. It was true that she wasn't nearly as scary.. But, remember, we were younger when we saw T2. Also, the actress just copied the acting of Robert Patrick, so it wasn't anything new.

I'm not so certain we did, if thats the case, we probably saw her at more locations but it was always too short lived.

ChanceKell said:
Are you saying that T3 has minimalistic music? I like the score of T3, but looking back afterwards at the other movies, I realized it was the first two who has the minimalist score, based on composer Marco Beltrami's way of thinking "give basic tones, let the audience feel the emotions, don't force emotions onto them with orchestas."

T3 has minimalistic music, yes, now whilst the first two terminators were minimalist when there was an emotion to be had they had a appropriate music in both tense and action scenes, all that seemed to be present in T3s action scenes and tense moments were the sound effects, I find these are the most crucial places for music, you need some kind of constant to counteract the overwhelming barrage of sounds.

ChanceKell said:

He didn't even try to explain, but I think it was realistic, hes not making the same mistake as his mother, he knows people aren't going to believe him.

ChanceKell said:
Perhaps one reason could be Fate, the other Hollywood Necessity? Besides, it wasn't like it was John's first time stealing from the vets.

Fate and hollywood neccessity are both excuses for lazy script writing, a more intresting story to me would have been if they were already dating and he'd kept judgment day completley to himself. John could have spotted her on the news etc etc.

ChanceKell said:
The T-800 mentioned several times, in T2 and T3, that it would be unwise to go to certain locations since they would be the most logical place for the person to go, and the bad Terminator would know that. I believe he mentioned it at the campsite.

True although there still is an element of conincidence there, its best if one actions follows on logically from the last.

ChanceKell said:
Nope. I remember that John specifically activated the accelerator in case the T-X followed.

I meant the very presence of the paticle accelerator, theres only a few on the planet and they're mostly for study, I'm not sure what practical military use they have.

ChanceKell said:

Agree totally, its a push to believe it, you take an automatic car, power steering, add a reciever and new software and you think..... mmmmmmaybe but a stretch. Would have been better if they were REALLY manned by cops, but I did mean the scenes overall experience.

ChanceKell said:
Yeah.. But it's not as good as the T-800s death in T2...

God no that death was so cheesy, if bratt kid and insane steroid mom hadn't already ruined it then that scene did, T2 was boiled down to a much lesser movie thanks to the character (or lack thereof) and that scene, it had the potential to be greater than the first. The third was let down by the coincidences, the RC cars, the death scene and the lack of a proper showdown.

Wedge009 said:
I don't mind bullet-shooting violence in movies, but I don't appreciate gore. The arm through the FBI agent thing is plenty enough gore for me.

No the bullets produced no blood most of the time, this really reminded you that it was just a film, I'm squeemish but bullet blood spatters I can watch and are neccessary imo.

Wedge009 said:
That happened in my session too, but I still think there was too much of it (the comedy, that is).

A movie should first and foremost be entertainment, so for me the comedy was spot on :)

Wedge009 said:
Well, I'm glad someone liked it. Of course, the fact that it sets up the sequel(s) so nicely is a big reason why I personally didn't like the ending.

Thats more about now letting yourself enjoy it than it not actually being any good, I thought it was clever, put John exactly where he needed to be.

Pedro said:
Fate and hollywood neccessity are both excuses for lazy script writing, a more intresting story to me would have been if they were already dating and he'd kept judgment day completley to himself. John could have spotted her on the news etc etc.
But why would those have made any more sense? You're talking about a story where people are coming from the future with the knowledge of what happened in the present. Fate and luck, strictly speaking, are not a part of the equation - it was the fact that John met what's-her-name on this particular day that made the sending of the TX necessary in the first place.

Back