Technical job or a cleaning job? your opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenderMillsap

Spaceman
I had a choice years ago and made it. I got to choose both of them in sequence one was a company a technical job and from the other company a cleaning job. I no longer work at one job; I work at the other. I won't post my decision because I don't want to influence any opinions you people have. Both jobs were with private businesses. I won't reveal what those businesses are because I don't want to violate the SPAM rules. Currently neither are hiring. Here's a description of what you'd encounter at each of those jobs:

Both jobs are

Cleaning Job Pros:
*You get to break when you want and you can go home on your break if you want
*You are gauranteed to keep your job for at least four decades maybe more
*Open-minded and nonjealous employees
*Employees may accept bribes as long as they don't betray the company
*You may bring up to two guns with you to work for self-defense but you are encouraged to refrain from being trigger happy
*Pleasant Romper Room like looking building so you'll feel comfortable and have good morale thus you'll work better
*You're inspired to be all that you can be
*Pays $1,960 every two weeks (or 17.50 an hour) regardless of how many hours you work but you must clean the entire building according to the list of instructions if you're given a list otherwise you default to your previous list
*It's a simple, easy, and for the most part a routine job unless you get sick from its germs
*little chance of mandatory overtime (usually everyone gets done with their work)
*you get to go home when you're done cleaning

Cleaning Job Cons:
*possibility of consuming plenty of germs (maybe they're deadly you don't know) - that's why nobody wants your job
*your job is known as a degrading job - another reason why nobody wants it
*it's a cleaning job so people won't think highly of you because they believe it doesn't pay much and that it's for people of low IQs.

Technical Job Pros:

*10 blocks closer to the bus stop than the cleaning job so you have less to risk slipping and falling and severely injuring yourself during icy winter season.
*one dollar per hour raise after working I think either 90 or 180 days
*it's a degree job - so you'll have status in the community
*Pays $16.80 an hour

What the company believes is "Pros"
*they pay for additional college you take but the courses you take must benefit the company and I'm not sure if they require you to work at the company while you attend college

Technical Job Cons:
*You're not allowed to accept bribes
*Your job is called a Network Center Technician. And they drill into your head that's all you will be unless you apply for an Engineer position (pays double) with the company - getting an engineering job with them currently is rare if almost impossible
*It's possible you'll get terminated within maybe six to eight years due to how your coworkers children want your job.
*You don't get to take breaks when you want. So basically if you have to use the bathroom and you're not on break you must hold it
*They're extremely picky about employees' attendance and employees being late. Indeed employees can get terminated if they're late and/or absent too many times even if it's not their own fault.
*higher chance of mandatory overtime which could be for 8 hours
*Employees sometimes have to work Sundays and or Saturdays
*Employees are not permitted to carry guns to work so they have no efficient means to defend themselves from violent attacking gangs
*Extremely narrow-minded and extremely jealous coworkers so you basically have no friends and so you wonder day after day whether or not they're conspiring to find ways to get your employment terminated
*Employees may not have additional jobs.
*extremely boring looking building thus you'll have less morale and thus you'll work less good
*telephone cords are made out of a weird rubbery substance that is poisonous which if you get near it can make you a little bit sick.
*You'll eventually get overloaded with telephone information
*You must wear an ID card (so you're basically going to have to keep track of it)
*You'll probably have to switch over to their ISP so they're probably going to be keeping track of your electronic communications thus if they don't like what you say they'll probably terminate your employment
*complicated job
*you may not go home on your break

You are fucking nuts

I'm happy in my WMD plant.
An the point of your post is?

I ate a sandwich today:

Pros: yummy, it has ham, mayonesse and drank a Coke

Cons: it doesn't have papitas, it wasn't a choripan

I believe the point of my thread was obvious. If you had the choice between this technical job or that cleaning job which would it be? And the cons of that Coke is it gives you kidney disease.

Hmm. Well you got to look at the long term, although you may enjoy the janitorial position and you may have job security the pay increase from there on out is probably not all that great (decent but not great). The technical position, although admitably annoying may result in your termination in about 8 years but it will qualify you for bigger and better things. I started at an insurance company as a mail clerk about 4 years ago...I am now a Business Analyst for a different company making decent money for a single fellow and the reason I am where I am is because I kept using my current job to qualify me for the next step up. Being a janitor, although perhaps a rewarding experience doesn't look so great on a resume.

Your technical job sounds like an inbound call center representative where someone answers questions and complaints from customers. However I fail to see the point of some of your pros/cons.

They're extremely picky about employees' attendance and employees being late. Indeed employees can get terminated if they're late and/or absent too many times even if it's not their own fault.
Most employers want their employees to be reliable and on time. I've never had an employer who didn't care if I showed up very late or just skipped work without a good reason.

*Employees may not have additional jobs.
This regulation usually states that employees cannot have another job with a competing company or where their company knowledge could help the other employer.

extremely boring looking building thus you'll have less morale and thus you'll work less good
How would the exterior of the building affect an employee's morale? I think the job and whether or not the employee enjoyed what he/she was doing as well as their relationship with their coworkers would affect their morale. Not what they thought of the building.

telephone cords are made out of a weird rubbery substance that is poisonous which if you get near it can make you a little bit sick.
How can you get sick from a telephone cord unless your trying to eat it?

You must wear an ID card (so you're basically going to have to keep track of it)
A lot of places issue employees ID badges, including to their janitors and other custodial staff.

You'll probably have to switch over to their ISP so they're probably going to be keeping track of your electronic communications thus if they don't like what you say they'll probably terminate your employment
A number of employers limit or monitor their employee's electronic communications.

complicated job
If its too complicated, don't take the job.

This regulation usually states that employees cannot have another job with a competing company or where their company knowledge could help the other employer.
At the technical job, they don't care if it's competing or not. They don't want you to have another job, period.

How would the exterior of the building affect an employee's morale? I think the job and whether or not the employee enjoyed what he/she was doing as well as their relationship with their coworkers would affect their morale. Not what they thought of the building.

Dull buildings makes for dull people

How can you get sick from a telephone cord unless your trying to eat it?

I think what happens is that when the cords get hot they give off a smell. That smell carries the chemicals of the cord onto the human body and into the nose.

A number of employers limit or monitor their employee's electronic communications.

I mean when I'm at home - the phone company would probably want me to use their ISP when I'm at home.

Oh, good, another zany "I'm being weird on purpose! Everyone look at me!" thread.

Don't waste our bandwidth with this act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back