Technical Difficulty

Jason_Ryock

Vice Admiral
Being the lazy person that I am I have no idea if I'm even posting this in the right forum...and on that note, I refuse to use the links at the top to navigate and instead insist on slapping the back button a dozen times when I navigate the forums.

However, curiously enough, I've discovered that when attempting to use this brilliant feature to navigate, get this, JUST the forums here at WCNews, I get a fatal error, it tells me explorer has to close because of a page fault, and a box pops up telling me one or more windows I'm working with in IE has preformed an illegal function and will shut down.

I've deep-scanned my harddrive and OS for virus and ad-ware programs both that might be affecting this, and aside from accidently removing all of my cookies it did me no good.

Any help?

I get this sometimes when my IP address changes mid download of a page and stuff like that. Just close IE and start again.

No go. This has been happening for 24 hours. I've re-started, manually cleared the cache, my cookies, the temp internet folder, all offline content, etc etc. I'm on DSL and supposedly have a fixed IP, so that shouldn't be an issue.

You wouldn't have any kind of registry checking software would you? Something like regclean or Norton SystemWorks? If you do, run that, you'll probably find a bunch of problems.

I had a similiar problem when I was using 98.

ptk is right. I'd've suggested some routine clean ups like Scandisk and whatnot.

Curiously enough windows has a built in registry check program (Which by the way reported no errors). I'm run scandisk already, that didn't fix the problem.

As previously stated, this error only occurs at the CIC Forums, not at any other website/forum/board/chat/etc.

I don't really see how it could be a problem with my OS software or IE if it only occurs here unless there's something the CIC Forums are doing that no other website anywhere else that I've been to does...

But I also think that´s not a problem with the Forums, since you are the only one reporting the matter. Windows registry scanner is bad, try regclean or other good software.

Jason_Ryock said:
Curiously enough windows has a built in registry check program (Which by the way reported no errors). I'm run scandisk already, that didn't fix the problem.

As previously stated, this error only occurs at the CIC Forums, not at any other website/forum/board/chat/etc.

I don't really see how it could be a problem with my OS software or IE if it only occurs here unless there's something the CIC Forums are doing that no other website anywhere else that I've been to does...

Have you been to any other boards which use the vBulletin software? I'd suggest testing with those as well, since vBB, IIRC, doesn't like the earlier versions of IE that much (or rather, the earlier IE versions are less compliant with web standards than even IE6 pretends to be).

Probably a hosed IE. Not too surprised, since there's tons of crap that people use that all use IE in some way. May also be known as "spyware" or "adware" type software, but also spread by viruses and worms. Since most spyware type things download ads and crap from the Internet, they often use IE inside them (to download and display). And they may do wierd things like underline words for ads, replace ads and graphics, etc. All of which can seriously screw up IE. If you have the memory, I suggest setting IE to use separate processes - then each IE session (started by clicking the icon, not going "new window") runs its own IE process, so you don't lose your place too much.

Oh yeah, and some plugins are buggy...

(Of course, I switched to Mozilla after getting fed up with IE, setup its integrated spam filter for email, automatic popup blocker, set Google as search engine, and swear by tabbed browsing (great for managing 100 windows...). I keep IE around though, since Windows Update only runs in IE.)

Even better than the "pure" mozilla is the amazing Mozilla Firebird. It's really the best and fastest browser.

Edfilho said:
Even better than the "pure" mozilla is the amazing Mozilla Firebird. It's really the best and fastest browser.

I find it quite speedy for WCNews, among other websites. It's definitely worth a gander, if only for that. :D

Yep. I use it at the office for "personal browsing", like I'm doing right now... =)
I leave IE(argh) to the boring official work. Firebird is my main/default browser at home, though. It's so much better than IE...
But back to WC, it works dandy with this forum, in all aspects.

There is absolutely nothing unique about the CIC Forums.

Maybe your version of Internet Explorer has a problem with vBulletin 3.0.0 beta 6 (vBulletin version numbers are in the page footers). Does it happen on any specific page? (i.e. forum index, thread view,...)

I tend to use Moz a lot (I could get rid of ChatZilla, but Mail and News and Composer I use quite often).

I've really only had one real site that needed IE because for some reason or other, it rendered really slowly and crappily on Moz. But that was ages ago...

And these forums/CIC work damn well in Moz since I started coming here.

BTW, if you need more reasons to switch, Seven new holes in IE. (I like how they say it "isn't actively exploited" - code for "as long as you stay with microsoft.com, msn.com and hotmail.com, you're OK". I suspect that's soon going to come to those password-gathering fraud-emails)

Back