Technical advice

Zelvik

Rear Admiral
Hello there.

Maybe somebody around these forums can help me out with a bit of advice.

I recently got a PS3 as my christmas/birthday present from my wife. I could chose, and the main buying incentive was the blu ray capacity of the PS3 - so we could decomission our old DVD player and use our new LCD TV to its full extent. Now the problem I have is all the fuss about HDMI cable connections. Basically what I want is watch Blu Ray discs on my TV utilizing their higher quality. What should I look out for when buying a HDMI cable? It should meet the 1.3a standard, I have figured out. Second question: Any suggestions on what product I should get for a decently low price?

On another note, what WC games have been released for PS3? I found an article about WC4, might get it again since I lost my PC version a long time ago. Is it worth getting, are the controls up to the experience of the PC version (its my first console ever so I have no idea what would be fun playing on it).

As long as it's 1.3a compliant, don't be suckered into buying expensive cables. There really isn't any arguable differences in most cases. The signal is digital. It either works or it doesn't. With the exception of running really long distances and the possibility of signal interference you won't get any real benefits off of realy expensive cables.

As for the playstation, WC3 and 4 are the only ones that were ported to the PS1. You can buy WC4 as a download on the PSN. WC1 snes was rereleased for the PSP and in some areas you can buy that on the PSN. Otherwise it's also available on UMD.

The controls for WC4 PSX have been reworked somewhat for the PSX controller and flies nicely, but the game itself is abridged somewhat and isn't as complete of an experience as the PC version. also the video will be nowhere near the quality of the WC4 DVD version for PC.

WC3 PSX on the other hand flies very similar to the PC version if you happen to have a PS1 joystick. Otherwise it is a little clunky to fly. But it's not abridged like WC4PSX.

also be aware that it is a ps1 game,and even though upscaled on ps3 will still look pretty bad on lcd.i suggest playing on a crt if you have one its like night and day.:eek:

also be aware that it is a ps1 game,and even though upscaled on ps3 will still look pretty bad on lcd.i suggest playing on a crt if you have one its like night and day.:eek:

Ah well I cant find it on the PS Network and I dont own a CRT, Ill probably pass then.

@AD
Thanks for the advice, probably will get one for 4 - 5 Euros then if I can find one.

Finally bought a HDMI cable. Actually had to buy two. First one caused flickering images after some minutes and the screen started to blank out for several seconds after some time. So I brought back the cheap 10 Euro cable and got the other cable that they had in stock for 32 Euros, which works fine now. Seems that HDMI cables are quite affected by other cables and radiating sources, like the PS3 power cord and WLAN router if they arent screened properly.

Now that is some price difference; And i have a lot of experience with cables of all sorts, both low and high-end. But why did you not just think about it simply being the cable itself that had some problems, and not try another one of the same type/brand first?

If the cable was that bad, they would not be selling it at all in the first place. With The xbox360 you get a cable that is also comparable to the cables on the lowest shelves, but both that and cables from those shelves I have seen working many times on DivX playback equipment, Xbox360 and PS/3's.

Back