TCS Vesuvius was number 2?

Lt.Overload

Rear Admiral
I noticed this and found it weird. The TCS Vesuvius was the first Vesuvius-class out of drydock, but it has 02 on it. Usually the ship with it's class name would be 01, no? For example, the Midway was CVX-01, and a Midway-class. It's also weird that the second ship in the class would be out of drydock first.

I noticed this and found it weird. The TCS Vesuvius was the first Vesuvius-class out of drydock, but it has 02 on it. Usually the ship with it's class name would be 01, no? For example, the Midway was CVX-01, and a Midway-class. It's also weird that the second ship in the class would be out of drydock first.

It is not at all uncommon for the first ship in a series or type to be delayed beyond the time of the second ships launching. The kinds of events that could cause that sort of thing to happen are both common and frequent.

There are a number of times where the videos incorrectly labels Vesuvius as 02 and St Helens as 01, and vice versa. I'm sure LOAF or someone can list those instances at some point, I can't recall straight from memory.

Not really, you work a building for instance, and you would dub it the first, then for some kind of reason you get delayed, and Nr. 2 of same design get's presented first, I'm pretty sure for just that matter you would not repaint them both.

also keep in mind that neither ship(as far as we know) officially rolled out of the docks.

Every reply in this thread raises good points. The Vesuvius does have a lower number than the St. Helens, but you might be looking at a video that mixed them up.

And yes, it's not a particularly rare circumstance for ship #2 to be complete before ship #1 in a new production situation. It may have even happened with the Cerberus. The Hades class TCS Cerberus was "Bartok design's first quick-strike assault cruiser." As far as we know, there is a TCS Hades sister ship, and it's possible that the quote may have referred to the Hades class as being Bartok's first quick strike cruiser in a general sense, but it's sounds to me like ship #2 beat ship #1 out of the gate there.

Ingame, IIRC they always have correct numbers (Vesuvius - 01, St. Helens 02) but In most videos feturing vesuvius alone it has 02

It's confusing... I gotta tell you.
I saw the WC4 scene of two Vesuvius carriers fighting each other around the Neptune.
According to the event occured in Talos, TCS Vesuvius did escape through the Sol jump point before St. Helens or Intrepid. So obviously TCS Vesuvius has to be the one which entered Sol first. If you take a close look at that first ship entered the system, you'll know the ship is clearly marked number 01.

Maybe it's a minor goof, I reckon.

Given the errors in which ship was numbered, what is the "sure answer" here? Is St Helens or Vesuvius number one?

Ouch.

Overload, I can understand somebody not liking WC4, but comparing it to the most awful movie since The Matrix Reloaded... isn't that a bit harsh?

I like movies other people don't like. People hated WCM, I loved it. People hate 300, I like it.

Anyway, on topic, Tolwyn would have taken the complete one (Vesuvius) first. But aren't the numbers added during/just before it's christening?

Personally I think the whole 01-02 is just a mix up with the WC4 people.

Lt. Overlord said:
Anyway, on topic, Tolwyn would have taken the complete one (Vesuvius) first. But aren't the numbers added during/just before it's christening?

I don't know if its different for WC, but at least in the US Navy, a ship receives its hull number before it even receives a name, as it has to be budgeted for many years in advance of its actual completion date. This is most likely a VFX gaffe.

remember folks continuety is a big problem in all media even in the socalled great hollywood blockbusters and they hardly ever get it right! so when u got 2 cgi ships that are identical bar a number there will be the odd mixup. its just us fanatics looking to deep into a simple mixup in the rendering phase.

Back