TCS Lionheart

How can the Lionheart a Gilgamesh carry squadrons of Gladius, Stiletto and Sabre plus some Marine LCs? Far as I know they don't have a Hangar or Flight Deck.

I think that there should be plenty of small capships in the relatively "safer" sectors, like Gemini. Confed probably uses those modified Gilgameshes and other similar vessels in backwater systems and sends the badboys to Vega and Enigma.

Plus, AFAIK the Lionheart only carries 2 squadrons: Stillettos and Gladii. We don´t get to fly Sabres until the main campaign, when we´ll fly off the TCS Firekka.

BTW, Eder/Quarto, as a modified destroyer, which are the specs for the Lionheart? (fighter capacity, defenses, speed, etc...)

Sylvester said:
According to Standoff fiction, the Lionheart is a modified Gilgamesh with two underside hangers.

Ah, so that's what those things are. Captain Johnny would be proud.

Starkey said:
I think that there should be plenty of small capships in the relatively "safer" sectors, like Gemini. Confed probably uses those modified Gilgameshes and other similar vessels in backwater systems and sends the badboys to Vega and Enigma.
Yep. We felt that having such a ship wasn't really stretching things too far, since such modifications apparently did take place with the Exeter-class destroyers (the Gwenhyvar).

Anyway, the Lionheart actually only carries one squadron, although it's not a normal 10-ship/pilot squadron. There are six Stilettos and six Gladii onboard. This is pretty much the maximum capacity. I have no idea how they managed to squish in the two Hermes-class shuttles, but it definitely must have gotten very crowded in there.

As for other specs, the ship is pretty much identical, at least when it comes to the specs that are listed in the manual (except for mass, I guess). I would imagine that it probably has less torpedo tubes (maybe even none?) and definitely a reduced amount of spare torpedoes. After all, carrying all those extra people (not just twelve pilots, but their support personnel as well) along with the additional supplies must have required some sacrifices in other areas.

Probably would lose torpedo tubes and maybe 40 kps in speed.

Isn't it fitting, every promotion iv'e gotten was in this forum, the place where i started long ago <sniff>

Squall%20col%20Lionheart.gif

Be careful. I've heard that they like to reset post counts. Then again, I suppose I should watch out, myself.

Hey, overmortal,you're back! I agree that the lionheart would lose some speed, but probably more like twenty if the bays are streamlined with the original hull.

umm . . . why? There's no aerodynamics in space. Mass distribution is about the only thing to worry about. Can't have your big bad capship suddenly be bulkier on one side, and accordingly start spinning when main thrust is applied.

It also keeps with naming the Gilgameshes after British history, you know William Tell, Beowolf, Lionheart

Sylvester said:
Hector was toman and the romans ruled britian for a time.

Or was he greek?

Greek and a fictional character, and I quote:

Hector

Trojan prince and hero, son of Priam and Hecuba, who commanded the Trojan forces and kept the Greeks away for nine years. His end came after he had killed Achilles' friend Patroclus. Achilles chased him around the walls of Troy three times, killed him, and then dragged his body tied by a rope to his carriage, refusing him a proper burial. After his father Priam had managed to get his body back, the funeral was held, ending the story of the Iliad.

Sylvester said:
Hector was toman and the romans ruled britian for a time.
You missed another sarcasm alert :p.

Anyway, basically the class basically seems to derive its names from heroic figures of history and legend. In fact, none of the Gilgamesh names we know from official sources have anything to do with Britain.

Back