TCS Ark Royal

psych

Destroyer of assclowns
Hi Standoff guys,

What class is the TCS Ark Royal. It is not listed on your website.

as far as I recall it was not mentioned in Action Stations.

There was the TCS Ark Royal CV-32, destroyed in the Battle of Earth. But it was the second ship to carry this name.

Concordia was the only ships of its class, that was finished by the time the war started.

Therefore Ark Royal has to be of an older ship class.

The reason I haven't listed the Ark Royal on the site yet is because I still haven't finished the model I want to use for it.

I've made the Leyte Gulf a Bengal-class just as an excuse to have a Bengal in the mod, and I'd like to do the same with the Ark Royal, using the Armada Lexington/SWC Bengal model for it. That's a very cool carrier design, and I'd love to find an excuse to use it in Standoff... (If anyone has an idea, feel free to tell me :p) However, if I don't have enough time to finish that model, the Ark Royal will be a Concordia-class (saves me time, I only need to change a couple of textures on the Lexington :D)

(The only problem is that I'd have to give the SWC Bengal class a proper name...)

The Ark Royal was the second Concordia-class fleet carrier, as per Action Stations. There's no indication that the Ark Royal seen in Fleet Action was a different ship.

Well, there goes that idea :p
I should probably find myself a copy of Action Stations and figure out wheter any of the other FA carriers aren't explicitly described as Concordia-class carriers (judging from their names, though, it seems like I might be out of luck).

Hmmm. Maybe I could put the "heavy carrier" TCS Trafalgar from End Run in there? Or was it destroyed in ER? Bah, I don't remember, I really should re-read that novel. All I know is that I'd love to have an excuse to put a SWC Bengal in Standoff. :)

If everything else goes wrong, just make up a name for it, and we´ll find a class name for that ship. Maybe there´s a ship class in the books that we never saw a picture of.

To the best of my knowledge, the only explicitly Concordia-class carriers are the Concordia (well, duh), the Ark Royal, the Lexington and the Princeton. The rest are all amorphous 'fleet carriers'.

The Trafalger was a "CVA attack carrier"... there's no existing design, and it'd certainly be neat to see! (It was destroyed in End Run, though).

Starkey said:
If everything else goes wrong, just make up a name for it, and we´ll find a class name for that ship. Maybe there´s a ship class in the books that we never saw a picture of.

and...

Bandit LOAF said:
The Trafalger was a "CVA attack carrier"... there's no existing design, and it'd certainly be neat to see! (It was destroyed in End Run, though).

just merge the quotes and you´ll solve your problem :D

Bandit LOAF said:
Hmmm. Do we know the name of any other carrier from that class? The Lexington from Armada looks good enough to be an attack carrier, I guess... but having to make up both a ship name and a class name, the odds of messing up the first 20 tries are too much for me :p So, any (remotely?) canon-based suggestions, LOAF? I guess I could use either the Moskva or the Verdun, but they're described as "fleet carriers" in FA...

Eder said:
Hmmm. Do we know the name of any other carrier from that class? The Lexington from Armada looks good enough to be an attack carrier, I guess... but having to make up both a ship name and a class name, the odds of messing up the first 20 tries are too much for me :p

It's a Heavy Carrier... and probably of the Lexington class...

Hmm, I'd say that it can't be Lexington-class. That would require pretty tight timing on Confed's part - we know that this particular ship was launched after the battle of Terra (they wouldn't have two Lexingtons at the same time... I think), and by the time Armada begun, there must have been at least two or three carriers of this class, or the Kilrathi wouldn't include them in a list of the ships the Shiraak was most likely to encounter. So, it seems reasonable to assume that new ships of this class must have started appearing before the battle of Terra.

The implication in Voices of War is that Lexington is a special self-sufficient covet-ops carrier, though... one specifically developed for nabbing Kilrah. I don't think it's] something you'd find throughout the fleet.

Not exactly... the timeline in the KSaga manual implies that this was an ordinary heavy carrier, which was equipped with special equipment for the mission.

I couldn't find any precise description of the Lexington in the Voices of War, so maybe I missed the bit you were referring to, though. At the same time, in the section with the Kilrathi officer briefing the Shiraak about Confed ships, they use the term "common Terran craft". A one-off carrier simply cannot be common, right. Mind you, there's curious detail in there... this briefing document, it's dated 2654.092! Is that even possible, or did the Kilrathi officer just lose track of Terran years?

By the way, LOAF, while looking at the Armada manual, something very interesting caught my eye. The Commander's log, dated 2668.330 (I think that's Nov 26), says that the Concordia has been on its current assignment for eight months straight, since the end of the battle of Terra. So, this would suggest that the battle of Terra ended some time in the second half of March 2668, possibly around the 20th.

I thought that by the time of the McAuliffe Ambush the only ship of the Concordia class heavy carrier class was finished and it was the first Concordia. All other 8 carriers were of the obsolete class. Other Concordia class carriers were in production but were not finalized due to financing issues.

TC said:
It's a Heavy Carrier... and probably of the Lexington class...
I can't use the real info from Armada... since Standoff takes place before the BoT, the Concordia-class Lexington is still around. And the idea is using the Armada Lexington/SWC Bengal model simply as the visual representation of a ship of the same class as the Trafalgar.

To do that, I'd need to make up a name for the class (since ER doesn't give us one), and a name for the carrier which would show up in Standoff (since the Trafalgar herself was destroyed in ER).

Also, when the Kilrathi attacked the Lunar Shipyards, they also nailed an additional three carriers. (bringing the carrier butcher's bill to eight).

Got any plans for those names? I got some suggestions if you are interested.

I couldn't find any precise description of the Lexington in the Voices of War, so maybe I missed the bit you were referring to, though. At the same time, in the section with the Kilrathi officer briefing the Shiraak about Confed ships, they use the term "common Terran craft". A one-off carrier simply cannot be common, right. Mind you, there's curious detail in there... this briefing document, it's dated 2654.092! Is that even possible, or did the Kilrathi officer just lose track of Terran years?

I'm thinking of the description of it as a new carrier kept secret at Goddard... I suppose it is entirely feasible that it's an existing class.

I don't think the manual actually has the Lexington in it, though -- doesn't it have the green carrier from the intro and the cutscenes (a Bengal?)? The actual Lexington is shorter, gray-er and fatter.

By the way, LOAF, while looking at the Armada manual, something very interesting caught my eye. The Commander's log, dated 2668.330 (I think that's Nov 26), says that the Concordia has been on its current assignment for eight months straight, since the end of the battle of Terra. So, this would suggest that the battle of Terra ended some time in the second half of March 2668, possibly around the 20th.

Yeah, there was a discussion about this at the regular CZ a few weeks back. The problem is that it *can't* fit that early, even if you ignore dating everything in Fleet Action from the time-till-Sivar reference. There's just not enough time for there to be a year after End Run, an armistice and then eight months until Armada.

The decision we reached regarding this is that it was actually written *before* the carriers attacked Earth... 2669.330 would have been just after they'd been discovered, and the eight months could refer to the time the Concordia had spent inactive during the armistice.

I thought that by the time of the McAuliffe Ambush the only ship of the Concordia class heavy carrier class was finished and it was the first Concordia. All other 8 carriers were of the obsolete class. Other Concordia class carriers were in production but were not finalized due to financing issues.

No, I believe the reference is that Confed began building eight new carriers (the Concordia-class), but only finished two (Concordia and Ark Royal).

To do that, I'd need to make up a name for the class (since ER doesn't give us one), and a name for the carrier which would show up in Standoff (since the Trafalgar herself was destroyed in ER).

This isn't entirely canon, I suppose, but the WC Bible has a section on capital ship classes and their namesakes. It says the Trafalgar is part of a class of attack carriers named after famous sea battles (there's a second name given, which I don't know off hand -- I'll look it up at home). It also gives some limited stats (length and mass and such), if that'd help the project.

or Gettysburg class

Gettysburg class ships were large cruisers circa the mid-50s.

Bandit LOAF said:
No, I believe the reference is that Confed began building eight new carriers (the Concordia-class), but only finished two (Concordia and Ark Royal).

I dunno, but I believe that due to budget costs, only the first ship, the TCS Concordia, was built. Upon the declaration of the Kilrathi War, her sisterships were quickly built and commissioned as the primary fleet carrier. This was due to the destruction of ConFleet’s six out of nine fleet carriers during to the McAulliffe Ambush.

I'm pretty sure the book says two were completed and the other six were left unfinished in lunar orbit. I don't have a copy of AS on me, but I can check when I get home.

Back