TC closing threads for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was no real reason to close the Jar Jar thread, TC. True, it has nothing to do with wing commander, and true, most people can't stand jar jar or the idea of talking about him (myself included). But the poster didn't use any vulgarity and he didn't offend anyone on the board. There hasnt been anything new as far as WC since april 28th, whats the problem with discussing a movie which a) comes out quite shortly and so people are likely to be interested, and b) is likely to appeal to a good number of the regular readers of this board??

Great.... you *really* want to do this on a day when TC's up late doing Chemistry... Let's review the rules shall we?

1) The word of an administrator or moderator, in reference to the rules of this chat zone, is final.

6) Talking about other subjects, even other space combat games, that are not directly related to WC is not the best idea. Proceed with caution.

8) The CIC reserves the right to close/remove any post/thread that is considered inappropriate.

9) If you believe that the CIC staff have made a mistake in regard to (8), you are allowed to protest. However, this is NOT to be done _on_ the board. You should use E-Mail, ICQ, or IRC. Any messages posted on the 'Zone for this purpose will be deleted, and the person responsible may, at the CIC's discretion, be banned.

10) Please be aware of the fact that the CIC is limited in bandwidth & server space, and try to be sensible with your posts. Which is not to say that you are to be serious 100% of the time - but there are limits on "silly" posts.

Now, I probably wouldn't have had any problem with a serious discussion of Episode 2. A bitching thread about a pointless character, on the other hand, can't be considered useful or on topic. Even going past the fact that it has no place on this board, I have no real inclination to listen to people whining about Jar Jar Binks anymore. I've heard quite enough of it, thank you. I, in no way, hold it against Wulf, nor do I hold thread closures against anyone unless they're blatantly stupid or against the rules.

Personally, I think TC is incredibly fair and usually pretty easy-going when it comes to board moderation. He only closes a thread off if it's blatantly idiotic or if it's turning into a Flame War.

Besides, since he's the Mod and we pay nothing to be on the CZ, you have no bitching rights what-so-ever.

OK, TC, first off, your dereliction of your duties as a student in favor of writing a response to a post on this board is at your complete discretion. Furthermore, I didn't violate any rules or flame anyone on this board. Nor did I infer that the rules were ill concieved or that the moderators were abusing their power in any way. I made a statement regarding the closure of a thread after a single post; one which also violated no rules. I also don't particularly care what does and doesn't make you cry. Nor do I care what opinion you maintain about what characters are "pointless" and not "pointless" (though in this case i do agree). It just seems to me that given the topic shift evident on almost every thread on this board, closing a member's thread without giving it a chance to evolve is somewhat unfair; especially where no rules are broken, as in this case. In regards to #9, if you feel the need to ban me, do it.

Originally posted by Lordstanley42
Furthermore, I didn't violate any rules or flame anyone on this board.

TC quoted the specific rules that you broke. You have to accept that you broke them and move on. Everyone slips into the wrong on occasion.

It is in your best interests to just let this go. It's fairly minor and not worth getting into further trouble over.

Originally posted by Lordstanley42
Furthermore, I didn't violate any rules or flame anyone on this board.
We will decide what is or is not in violation of the rules.

As much as I admire the fact that your trying to argue your point, I still believe that TC was in the right here, Stanley, sorry. If only because the rules he put up, were violated/decided by the moderators. (Take for example the thread closing.)

While I do agree that the thread was harmless, I'm sure it can also be agreed upon that it was relatively pointless as well. We tend to have threads that are "Number of reasons X-thing is good/bad" and they don't last too long. (You'll see that after a time.)

And while it is true that the other threads do tend to degenerate into other topics, the topics that tend to be productive/informative/interesting tend to stay around. The reason they do so is because they are actually requiring intellectual input, or at least some knowledge of the subject. (Although, yes, there are posts that don't tend to have anything to do with the subject. ~Damn you Dom... :p ~) But when the thread becomes old/tiresome/pointless, the admins close it.

I know your fairly new, so I'm certainly not holding this against you-people tend to fight back heavily before they see how things play out often around here-but just remember that the admins/mods have a good reason for most of the stuff they do. And they at least try to explain why they do things. Besides, you can always bring things like this up in e-mails, which is more effective because it shows that your willing to work within "boundaries" to attempt to achieve knowledge/change.

Speaking of which, someone stick a fork in this thread. It's done.

6) Talking about other subjects, even other space combat games, that are not directly related to WC is not the best idea. Proceed with caution.

8) The CIC reserves the right to close/remove any post/thread that is considered inappropriate.

If its not a WC based thread then it doesnt belong here

ahhh.... the rebellious youth, when will they learn? :p

Seriously though Stanley, I respect that you didn't agree with TC's choice of closing the thread. But for future reference, whining about a mod (or anyone) in another thread created specifically for the purpose of doing so, is just a way to make everyone lose respect for your opinions even more. I would suggest bringing up any problems you have with the board through e-mail, or instant messaging, as said in the rules.

Originally posted by Mav23
I would suggest bringing up any problems you have with the board through e-mail, or instant messaging, as said in the rules.

Yea... I don't know about Star Wars in Wing Commander... Jar Jar is just annoying anyways. I think I have complained about it enough when Episode I came out.

The entire universe complained about it too much when Episode 1 came out.

And then they made the completely inane collective decision that complaining about Jar Jar was *really, really funny*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back