TacOps online

Haliwali

Spaceman
Is there any plan to make TacOps available on the internet? I mean being able get on the net and play someone else in real-time. That or make a computer version with AI opponents. Not a ton of people to play where I live...

Sorry, I was on vacation the last two weeks - so here's my reply, one week late: Yes, there were plans to bring TacOps online. More than once, even... I'd still very much like to see it done. So far, there was one try to code WCTO in C++, and then I thought I'd maybe see a conversion for a role-playing client called "MapTool." I even considered WCTO remade in Flash or Microsoft's XNA (imagine WCTO on Xbox Live! Well, you can still dream...). If there's anyone up for the challenge, I'd be glad to help - but my programming skills just aren't enough to pull it off on my own. :(

Well, I suppose most of the hard-work has already been done. Actually, now that I think about it, I remember a PC Gamer article from a few years ago that detailed a website specifically for old board games on the net. I'm going to search for it now and see if I can find it.

BTW, would you mind if I modified TacOps to be used with my LEGO minis?

I think the difficulty here is that anyone programming the game would also need to understand it (to add in things like rules).

I think the difficulty here is that anyone programming the game would also need to understand it (to add in things like rules).
What he said...
You could just go with the basic rules for starters, but the code would have to be modular enough to add in extra rules and exceptions. It helps that the rules are already written down, but it doesn't really make the programming part any easier...

As for the question about modifying the rules: Sure, go ahead. It's not like I have a copyright or make money with this stuff... :)

Back