Tabula Rasa Beta Sign-ups Begin (January 12, 2007)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa is now accepting applications for a closed beta test. Fans who signed up for game information long ago were sent direct invitations early this week, and all players can sign up at the TR website now to be considered on the standby list. Although the game has gone through several painful metamorphoses since it was begun, in recent months Destination Games seems to have pulled things together and created a more cohesive game. It'll be interesting to see if they can recover from these development issues to create a competitive MMO title. You can apply for the beta test here. A 2.5 GHz processor and 128 meg video card are required. NCSoft recommends a 3.5 GHz processor and 2 gigs of RAM.

Tabula Rasa is a massively multiplayer online action game that takes you into the heat of battle at the frontlines of an epic war between a xenophobic alien race bent on galactic conquest and the coalition of rebel soldiers who’ve traveled across the galaxy to stop them.

Combining fast-paced action with the immersion of a role-playing game, Tabula Rasa takes the player on an intergalactic adventure where the individual has an opportunity to significantly impact the pace of battle on a global scale. Players enter the game as rebel soldiers wielding a variety of futuristic weapons, potent demolitions and the mystical power of “Logos.” It is up to each individual to use their stealth, ingenuity and skill to assist a ragtag coalition of rebels in their efforts to stop an enemy known for its intelligence and unyielding determination to enslave the Universe.

--
Original update published on January 12, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
They really need to stop using GHz ratings in the system requirements. Right now, the fastest commercially available processors don't run at over 3 GHz and they recommend a 3.5GHz CPU :confused:

True, so very true. But what gets me even more a games that state a minimum requirement of a Geforce 7300 or better (the 7300 is the budget line and is actually slower then most 6xxx cards, but many people with those cards will be scared away by that).

PC gamers are supposed to know that the Geforce 6600 they spent $500 on last year is in fact better than the latest $99 entry level card.

You mean the 6800 Ultra. If someone spent 500 on a 6600 then they paid about twice what they should have ;)

I do agree that for some people that seeing 7300 when they have a 6600 would be confusing, but honestly, it would be a lot worse the other way around. If the requirements were instead for a 6600, there would be a lot of people with a 7300 who would think that since their graphics card has a bigger number that it would be able to run the game.

IMHO, the best way to let the user know if their graphics hardware if up to snuff is to list supported graphics chip sets, arranged in order of increasing speed.

Well it had me confused and I'd consider myself to be a techie.
Besides there alwasy is a risk that a 7x card can do something that a 6x card cannot do even if the card itself is slower. One never knows.

You mean the 6800 Ultra. If someone spent 500 on a 6600 then they paid about twice what they should have ;)

I do agree that for some people that seeing 7300 when they have a 6600 would be confusing, but honestly, it would be a lot worse the other way around. If the requirements were instead for a 6600, there would be a lot of people with a 7300 who would think that since their graphics card has a bigger number that it would be able to run the game.

IMHO, the best way to let the user know if their graphics hardware if up to snuff is to list supported graphics chip sets, arranged in order of increasing speed.

This post confused me. I think it is 6800 Ultra, I am unsure of what card the 6600 is ref to.

They really need to stop using GHz ratings in the system requirements. Right now, the fastest commercially available processors don't run at over 3 GHz and they recommend a 3.5GHz CPU :confused:

True, so very true.

The alternative is to provide some abstract "model number or better," and nobody can keep those straight. They actually say a 3.5 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent. I didn't bother to spell all that out, because it should be obvious and anyone with a Core 2 or other fancy pants processor can do the conversions themselves.

Yeah, probably most people on these forums would know the difference. Not sure about the average consumer though.

Just to clarify, are you people arguing because you're seriously confused about the system requirements for a game you want to play, or do you just like complaining about things?

Just to clarify, are you people arguing because...

Seems like more of a discussion than an argument.

I like how average people always seem to assume that the average person is dumber than they are.

While that is indeed true, it has little to do with what I said.

All that I pointed out was that the average forum poster here probably knows more about technology than the average consumer.

While that is indeed true, it has little to do with what I said.

All that I pointed out was that the average forum poster here probably knows more about technology than the average consumer.
Which is exactly my point - you, the average forum user, have no reason to believe you're in any way smarter or more knowledgeable than the average consumer. You are the average consumer.

Which is exactly my point - you, the average forum user, have no reason to believe you're in any way smarter or more knowledgeable than the average consumer. You are the average consumer.

I agree that I am the 'average consumer' in most things (and in fact, I am probably dumber than the average consumer in a lot of things, like fashion for instance :) ), but not tech. I'm a computer hobbyist. I build my own computers, build my friend's computers, surf tech sites in my leisure time and I'm currently enrolled in a CS program.

However, my comment was never about *me*, it was about the members of crius.net. I merely said that it is probably true that a crius.net member would know the difference between Core 2 Duo MHz and Pentium 4 MHz, while the average consumer probably would not. Now, if you think that I'm wrong and the average forum poster here doesn't know the IPC difference between the C2D and P4, go ahead and say that -- you definitely know people here better than I do -- but don't insult my intelligence by telling me that I'm trying to lift myself higher than the next guy when I'm not.

However, my comment was never about *me*, it was about the members of crius.net. I merely said that it is probably true that a crius.net member would know the difference between Core 2 Duo MHz and Pentium 4 MHz, while the average consumer probably would not. Now, if you think that I'm wrong and the average forum poster here doesn't know the IPC difference between the C2D and P4, go ahead and say that -- you definitely know people here better than I do -- but don't insult my intelligence by telling me that I'm trying to lift myself higher than the next guy when I'm not.
Well, why shouldn't I insult your intelligence, when you insist on insulting everyone else's intelligence?

And no, I'm not saying the average forum poster doesn't know the difference between the various types of processors out there - I'm saying the exact opposite, that the average customer also has no trouble figuring out the difference. I'm tired of hearing people acting as though the "average customer" was a mental retard, and I'm especially tired of hearing it from people who, as far as I can tell, are absolutely average themselves. It's damned arrogant to insist that you're somehow special and smarter than the rest of the world. And it's even more arrogant to say that while you're not special, the rest of the world is dumber than you are.

I mean, sure, you didn't say you know more about computers than the average consumer, you just said that the average consumer knows less than you. But yeah, I guess you're not lifting yourself up above others, you're just pushing everyone else down beneath you :rolleyes:.

The thing is, over here in Canada I could go out on the street and ask ten people which computer they would rather have, a 3.2GHz P4D or a 2.66GHz C2D, and maybe two people would answer correctly. Perhaps over in Poland you guys are more computer-savy, but here if you try to explain to people that there is such a thing as instruction per clock cycle they will hardly believe that such a metric exists.

I'm not trying to claim that I'm above the overall consumer at all. I admit that I *am* the average consumer with all things taken into account. The thing is, even average people have their strengths and weaknesses. One average consumer is going to know more or less about a particular topic than the next average consumer. I most definitely am *not* trying to claim that I'm in any case more intelligent than the average consumer. If I'm wrong and you're right, and the average computer shopper more often than not knows the difference between a 3.2GHz P4D or a 2.66GHz C2D than I'm *still* not trying to claim that I'm more intelligent than the average consumer, I am just wrong about how tech-savy the average consumer is. So, if you want to argue about something don't go insulting me, rather, get to the point and say something intelligent like "I believe the average consumer would know the difference between a C2D and a P4D, here's why....".

I mean, sure, you didn't say you know more about computers than the average consumer, you just said that the average consumer knows less than you.

Really, when did I say less instead of more? Not that it matters, as both mean the same bloody thing.

"People will hardly believe such a metric exists"? Listen to yourself - you are not merely arguing that most people don't know the difference between these two processors, you are actually claiming that most people, given the answer, would be too stupid to understand it.

Naturally, most people, when they're not buying a computer, wouldn't know the difference between the processors currently on the market - just like they wouldn't know the difference between the latest car models, or the difference between 7.62 calibre and 7.92 calibre rifles... unless they were buying a new car or a new rifle, in which case most people would take the trouble to find out what they're spending their money on.

And that's even more true in this case - if a customer is offered a choice between, say, a 2 GHz dual-core processor and a 3 GHz Pentium 4 processor, and the salesman tells him that the 2 GHz processor is better, the customer will most certainly ask why a slower processor is in fact better. And the salesman will manage to explain it, even if he's dealing with a complete retard - because if he doesn't, then he won't make a sale.

So yes, the average person who has a dual-core processor will how his processor stands in regards to a game's system requirements.

Quarto: First of all, thanks from changing from attack to discuss mode.

Listen to yourself - you are not merely arguing that most people don't know the difference between these two processors, you are actually claiming that most people, given the answer, would be too stupid to understand it.

Yeah, bad choice of words on my part. What I meant to say was that when you introduce IPC to people they react like it's some completely new concept, and their entire perception of what makes a fast computer gets turned on it's head. I didn't mean to say that most people won't believe you (although in my experience, there are people like that), but at the moment I couldn't come up with the right words to express exactly what I meant.

And that's even more true in this case - if a customer is offered a choice between, say, a 2 GHz dual-core processor and a 3 GHz Pentium 4 processor, and the salesman tells him that the 2 GHz processor is better, the customer will most certainly ask why a slower processor is in fact better. And the salesman will manage to explain it, even if he's dealing with a complete retard - because if he doesn't, then he won't make a sale.

You're going off topic, as we are not talking about someone who is in the process of buying a computer, we are talking about someone who is reading the required specs of a game and seeing if his computer can run that game, but I'll indulge you anyway :)

Your example is somewhat valid, and I'm sure it has happened to some consumers, but the introduction of the model numbers really muddles things up. You don't hear a salesman calling a processor a "2.2GHz Athlon 64 X2"; he calls it the AthlonX2 4200+ or in the case of the C2D he calls it the E6700 (and why wouldn't he? the bigger number sounds better and it saves himself the hassle of explaining IPC in the first place!)

The thing is, if you could count on salespeople to explain the difference between processors and/or consumers comprehending the differences. AMD would have *never* had to incorporate model ratings into it's AthlonXP brand in the first place. I mean, you had 1.2GHz Athlons that humiliated Pentium 4 Williamites clocked over 400MHz faster, and the consumers still thought the Pentium 4's were faster based off of clockspeed alone. Now that both companies use model numbers, the consumers have become somewhat more enlightened but also more confused. On the one hand, you have Intel that uses an arbitrary letters and numbers that don't say at first glance anything about the processor, and you have AMD who uses an eligible "equivalent to this MHz+" rating that has quickly spun out of control, and you also have the clock frequencies themselves. This mess of numbers has forced some consumers to find out for themselves which processor is better, but for many consumers has made buying computers even more confusing, so that they are forced to say to the salesman, "I want a computer to do X, Y, and Z, what do you got?" and base their purchasing decision off of that.

An argument is a discussion involving differing viewpoints. This is certainly an argument.

I think 'argument' also implies that the discussion is somewhat heated. For example, I wouldn't call the first few posts an argument, but Quarto and I are most definitely arguing :D

I think 'argument' also implies that the discussion is somewhat heated.

It doesn't, though. You take argument classes in college, you have opening and closing arguments in court -- it's just a synonym (and if anything, an even more technical one) for 'debate'.

Back