Table Top RPG

neonbasschild

Spaceman
Hello all!

I have been lerking around the website for a bit and just not started on the forum. Been a huge fan of WC since I was but a weee little geek. Ok basically I have been wanting to play a WC Table Top RPG for a long time now. But all the system I have ever found online have been somewhat lacking (granted there great for open forum chat room rpg systems, but not really what I look for in a RPG)

Ok well during my current deployment to iraq I was looking around on the web and found the Battlestar Galactica RPG (just released) and I started thinking. The game universe does share some allot in common and it would be very simple for me to convert everything over (aka I need to make stats for ships, weapon types, small arms, aliens, and compile some universe information).

I chose the Battlestar System because of A. Its very close the WC universe B. To create a interesting game your going to have to have allot of crew interaction, something that was already in the games but was not the main point. You cant really do that in a RPG. Mission after mission with only a couple words with other crew mates would get really boring really quick. So why not keep the Space soap opera from battlestar to make it more interesting (everyone loves a good love triangle after all :D ). C. Battlestar covers civilians allot. Something that I think will end up being a major point in the game (because while everyone wants to be a fighter ace at first, later on there going to wonder "hey why not play a mechanic, doctor, Confed scientist, privateer caption, or a Kilrathi?").

Well while my deployment is winding down I am planning on spending more time compiling the information I need to start everything. That way when I get home I am going to setup a website for updates, publishing (aka DOWN IT HERE thingys), and community input. Then Ill start the actual conversion process in phases (or Eras/the different WC games if you will). I am going to start with all the basic conversion that are needed with the system (if any) and then start the first Era.

I plan on breaking down the different Eras like this. WC1, WC2, WC3 (I am lumping WC3 with WC4 because of the close proximity and use of the same fighters), and WC Prophecy. All the time have all the stuff from Privateer 1 and 2 lumped in where it is relevant in the time line.

I plan on going though each era and compiling all the ship, characters, small arms, aliens, ect.

My only problem with this is that the WC universe is very large and I honestly have not scene a book or played WC since one of my X girl friends hocked TONS of my stuff (including my WC book collection and all my copies of the games). AKA I am asking you guys and your wealth of knowledge about the game universe for some help. Just to start here are some basic information I need to compile.

-The relative dates of use of all ships (Privateer, Capital, fighters, and utility for all races) for each of the games, by this I mean all the ships that where around in the basic time line of each game, because while a ship was not in WC1 but was in WC2 doesn't mean that ship class didn't exist.

-Any information on the marines (I know little to nothing about them). While I am a grunt in real life I dont know much about the Confed version because there only really mention in bits and pieces.

By all means if this information is laying around somewhere just point me in the right direction I can do the rest from there.

Also just a note I don't want to do this by myself if I dont need to. If anyone else is interested in helping by all means drop me a line. I welcome any and all help that anyone wants to give.

But its not like I am going anywhere because I will probley be pestering you guys for awhile with all kinds of annoying junk (what are some of the better pictures for X ship, input on any fan fiction to be added (if any), ect..). That and I will HAVE to keep everyone here updated. But all and all I am looking at about 3 months of hard work (this is from when I get back in the US) before I have the base book (Base rules and WC1 Era) ready to go and from there Ill pump out the expansions as quick as I can (one expansion per Era).

Thanks,
Derrick

Well I think you can start by checking out WC Tacops which has it's own forum here

You can draw some ideas from that about the piloting stuff.

Personally, I'd thought to use the Traveller system -- but I could see the BSG / Cortex system.

Personally, I'd thought to use the Traveller system -- but I could see the BSG / Cortex system.

I chose the Cortex system because the way the system is made for substance and character interaction over rules. As I explained before if you make the rules for the dogfights and ships to crazy its just going to drag everything out and your player will start to loose interest.

That and to be honist if you where going to run a WC RPG game after awhile its going to be up to players to make there own content. Not to mention that after awhile the GM is going to have to make some stuff up as far as the universe, because to be honist while the WC universe is HUGE as far as facts, the military, and military engagement there is not alot of stuff as far as what is a civilians life like, what planets are known for being the being the best places to take leave, what is the average life on a space station like? Well the fact that BSG and WC are so close to each other (granted the underlining plots are no where near each other) but you can use it to answer basic questions as far as the civilian sector. Because even in the WC universe not everyone is in the military.

The BSG space combat system is made to make combat go pretty quickly. Its made to make that part of the game exciting, not the entire game.

Also can someone tell me how accurate is the information on wcpedia.com? They have a pretty good list of capital ships listing divided into Eras. You guys already have a very accurate list as far as the fighters on this site.

One last thing, there is a pritty large list of ships that have no stats or images to go with them (aka Pre War ships and various transports) if any 3d artists or artists in general want to help me out with this it be allot of help, otherwise I am just going to skip over all the prewar stuff for now do everything as of the start of WC1 and then come back to prewar. Also if any knowledgeable people that know allot of stats from the various WC ships wants to make realistic stats (in the WC format) that would be a great help. Here is a list of stuff that has no really stats of images (as far as I know)

Fighters
-Corsair
-Falcon
-Gotha
-Hawk
-Hummer
-Hurricane
-Kala
-Minotaur
-Vak
-Wildcat
-Thor
-Rapier I

Bombers
-Asjaka
-Gladiator
-Gomora
-Trident

Transports
-Tugar
-Victory
-Wasps

Corvettes
-Granicus

Destroyers
-Valiant
-(There was a unnamed Kilrathi Destroyer)

Frigates
-Targu
-Confed and Kilrathi unnamed Frigates

Carriers
-Two unnamed Kilrathi Carriers

Cruisers
-Butha
-Two more unnamed Kilrathi cruisers

Dreadnoughts
-Gamorin
-Yar
-Unnamed Confed Battleship
-Zulu

Marines
-Sheridan Marine Landing Craft

Also at the very end I plan on making some stuff for the other races (if possable) I will need ALOT of help with that (if its even possible with the very little bit of information that around on the other races) and I might need a little bit of help with the marines stuff. Not much because the basic idea of a grunt is not that hard, but I am going to have to ad lib allot as far as vehicles (if they even have any, I don't really remember from the books).

Before I forget the Encyclopedia has the TCS Anna Magdelena listed as a WC3 Confed Transport. Any idea which class? Because a ship that old being a WC3 Tranport means that there is a very old transport that needs to be included in the WC1 era that I am not aware of.

It's been a looooooong time since I visited the site, so I forget exactly what "kind" of RPG it is, but:

http://http://www.geocities.com/rpg_pro/towcrpg/

Wing Commander RPG.

I saw this one awhile back, its the only one that really can be considered a table top rpg. It uses a OK system (its almost exactly like the old star wars D6 system). But it is lacking in many areas. Does not have any rules what so ever for cap ships, it only is currently set up for WC3 era, and it is mainly based around people who want to play military characters (mainly fighter pilots) and thats about it. I am not saying its a complete hack and slash system but thats all it schemes to have rules for.

I am planning on putting together a much larger RPG that when it is done the entire community can turn to if they do want to play a WC rpg and yes I am well aware that our community is not huge these days, but if someone who plays RPGs that also played WC back in the day finds it and it inspires him to get back into the community all the better. This is actually when I decided to make this (about six months ago a guy I play games with was saying how much he would like to play a WC rpg and I didnt even know he liked WC. So here I am before you today).

Before I forget the Encyclopedia has the TCS Anna Magdelena listed as a WC3 Confed Transport. Any idea which class? Because a ship that old being a WC3 Tranport means that there is a very old transport that needs to be included in the WC1 era that I am not aware of.

Lots and lots of ships in later Wing Commander games were also around during WC1.

The WC3 transport is Clarkson Class, but I'm not sure what source makes that ship that class.

Lots and lots of ships in later Wing Commander games were also around during WC1.

The WC3 transport is Clarkson Class, but I'm not sure what source makes that ship that class.

The cap ships and civilian ships are giving me the hardest time right now. Since there is so much cross between the different eras as far as cap ships but most of it is not really mentioned. I am going to go with whatever info I can find for now and then when the base book is put out I am sure if someone will let me know if i forgot something. But I am going to try my best to get everything.

The fighters are easy because you guys made a really comprehensive chart showing when they where phased in and then phased out.

Back