SWC Shuttle...

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
So I didn't find out much about this shuttle, which shows up briefly in the SWC intro (it ferries your character to the claw)... I dug up an ancient news post about how it's directly ripped from Bioforge . I also couldn't help but notice that it's also very very reminicent of the Avenger from WC4. It's obviously not the same exactly but there's enough similarities to wonder if they had some shared lineage. You can see the shuttle in action in that update I linked, or I've attached a new conversion directly from the game files (appologies for any sound sync issues as there's something wierd going on there connected to how they were converted. There also isn't any music as the music in swc gets overlayed on top of the video by the game).

OPEN0.MOV.avi_snapshot_00.07_[2015.10.05_19.02.24].jpg
OPEN0.MOV.avi_snapshot_00.07_[2015.10.05_19.03.26].jpg
OPEN0.MOV.avi_snapshot_00.08_[2015.10.05_19.02.40].jpg
OPEN1.MOV.avi_snapshot_00.01_[2015.10.05_19.04.11].jpg
OPEN1.MOV.avi_snapshot_00.01_[2015.10.05_19.05.17].jpg
OPEN2.MOV.avi_snapshot_00.06_[2015.10.05_19.01.22].jpg
OPEN2.MOV.avi_snapshot_00.10_[2015.10.05_19.01.43].jpg
OPEN3.MOV.avi_snapshot_00.06_[2015.10.05_18.59.10].jpg
OPEN3.MOV.avi_snapshot_00.08_[2015.10.05_18.57.44].jpg

Wc4avenger2.png

Attachments

• swc-introshuttle.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm super wrong in that old update, btw - of course a shuttle from Super Wing Commander (94) wouldn't be ripped FROM Bioforge (95)... it's the other way around!

When I first saw the shuttle it reminded me of the ones in Starsiege. I couldn't find an image in a quick search, but the design is almost the same. It looks like a cargo container that's been picked up by some sort of cockpit/engine module to move it around.

Yup, also featuring two characters voiced by Mark Hamill.

Yes, the famous Weathers brothers...

Still love Earthsiege 2 and Starsiege. Actually got Starsiege working a while back and replayed both Campaigns. Great stuff.

(it ferries your character to the claw)...

Interestingly, the ship that ferries Blair to the 'Claw in the movie isn't a million miles off the Avenger either - I believe it's an 'Errant' in the film. I wonder if they took some inspiration for this vessel from the one at the start of SWC.

wcm_errant.jpg

28kYW1M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say the Errant is pretty heavily influenced by the Millennium Falcon. (We've got a big model of it in the reception room here at CIG!)

I'd say the Errant is pretty heavily influenced by the Millennium Falcon. (We've got a big model of it in the reception room here at CIG!)

Yes, I can see her in the Errant's DNA.

...but we all know which Wing Commander ship owes the most to the 'Falcon!

Still love Earthsiege 2 and Starsiege. Actually got Starsiege working a while back and replayed both Campaigns. Great stuff.

Same, though I couldn't get the music to work, which kinda sucked. Amazing game though, it's one of those few things that are just as good as you remember them.

SWC on MAC uses the Apple (from 1994) equivalent of MIDI to make music. Quicktime Music. I tried for a while to rip those tracks, sort of at the conclusion that you'd need to playback/record the midi which is a shame. I'd love to get a .mid file out of Mac OS so I could re-render the SWC Music with a much higher quality sample set.

Sorry for not posting since the OP (been out of town) anyway, I'm pretty sure I could get you the music tracks but not sure how much use they would be to you since they don't seem to have the standard midi format... The soundbank folder in SWC has separate sounds for all the instruments and percussion (in AIFF format from what I can tell. I have the speech playable but not the sounds for some reason). There's files for FX, BB, Flight, orders, Inst, Perc, and Music. I've attached the music files. Maybe you can make heads or tails of them.

Attachments

• soundbank files.zip
    275.8 KB · Views: 14
Back