Swc In Windows

Darkmage

Vice Admiral
OK, I have completed packaging the Emulator and presets for running Super Wing Commander in windows. I'm wondering if the CIC or some other WC site would like to host it? the total file size is 55mb this is NOT including the game itself. the game Is installed on a virtual hard drive which the emulator runs but will not work without the super wing commander macintosh cd in your cd drive.this game will not help people who want to grab a free copy of super wing commander you WILL need your OWN copy. it can be found (I managed to pick up two copies this year $90 for one copy, and $10.00 for the other.)

I'm glad you brought up this topic, because I was afraid to myself. I understand in the rules that abandonwares and such arn't allowed here. Fair enough. But I was reading in a computer magazine where they talk about being able to get abandonwares (real ones such as Red Baron, not Monkey Island) and emulation and roms for old games no longer on sale. Several other magazines have also mentioned roms, including a Nintendo one, despite Nintendo being desperate to outlaw all roms and emulation. I'm also aware that these laws appear to change from area to area. So could you please clarify the message board's stance on the topic?

If you own the cartridge of the game, it theoretically isn't illegal in the US AFAIK... Otherwise, yes, that would be illegal.

Originally posted by TC
If you own the cartridge of the game, it theoretically isn't illegal in the US AFAIK... Otherwise, yes, that would be illegal.

That's what I thought. But I think Riot might be right in what he says in that many roms are downloaded without the games being owned. I don't know the details, but I assume that would be the case.

about roms...
It is legal to have roms on your computer as long as you own the cartridge of the game. If you dont you can still download it but you must delete it within 24 hours. I guess this would be like having an evaluation copy.

Originally posted by fallen phoenix
about roms...
It is legal to have roms on your computer as long as you own the cartridge of the game. If you dont you can still download it but you must delete it within 24 hours. I guess this would be like having an evaluation copy.

No, that's just something pirates made up... stealing games is illegal period.

Originally posted by Darkmage
...(I managed to pick up two copies this year $90 for one copy, and $10.00 for the other.)

Damn; that's quite a disparity. I take it the $90 copy came first, cuz if the first copy only cost ya $10, there's no WAY ya woulda shelled out $90 for a copy (at least I wouldn't've), right?...

The one copy I picked up (till I figured out I couldn't get it to play on a PC, anyway) was $15...

well this is in au$ the $90 copy came first without a box..... but with the manuals. the second copy which really annoyed/pleased me, was $10.00 in a second hand store... the game is IN box, in almost brand new condition...

Back