Sure to be riveting and powerful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll give you a great movie: Hero. Absolutely wonderful.

But that wasn't what this was about, nu-uh... *Downloading... waiting... downloading... Watching...* Oi, where's Gibson? ... Oh, he's into directing now, is he? That explains why I didn't see him.
Smells like two hours of cheesy sentimentality to me. Still, I suppose we'll have to wait and see. Oh, and don't forget at least a half-hour of clips of blood, dripping or running. Whoopee.

Mystery muppet said:
...Smells like two hours of cheesy sentimentality to me. Still, I suppose we'll have to wait and see. Oh, and don't forget at least a half-hour of clips of blood, dripping or running. Whoopee.
Cheesy? Hardly. This is an historical event the ramifications of which have changed the entire course of human history in the 2,000 yrs or so since. You may not like it or find it interesting yerself (to each his own), and that's OK, but humanity as a whole has found it so compelling that it has divided history in half (B.C. & A.D.).

As to the blood, yes, I'm sure there'll be plenty, because crucifixion was a bloody business. That's the whole point, though. Popular culture has "tidied up" the crucifixion to the point where it hardly resembles the actual event, and in so doing, have robbed the event of much of its power for those (read: most) who do not go beyond what they see in the movies. It'd be about time for some courageous soul like Mel to give it to us straight. I expect the rawness of such a presentation would be at least as powerful of a moviegoing experience as was "Platoon", or "Saving Private Ryan". Realism has a way of affecting you on a gut level in a way nothing else can. You go, Mel!...

Well put Preacher. The thing that sucks is that no studio is daring enough to take up the film and send it to theaters. Of all the violence in movies (of which I'm not bothered by) nowadays, a movie comes along which is authentic and portrays truly the "Greatest Story Ever Told" and nobody wants to take it because the fear it will bring up too much controversy. Please.

"The audience is listening." is the THX slogan. Or at least it used to be, I'm pretty sure it still is. And the "TM" was "Trade Mark."

Ah. Thx.

btw, I just got finished looking at some still shots on the web from this movie, and its looks far more brutal (read: realistic) than any prior screen portrayal I've ever seen. Excellent.

On the other hand...
My one nitpick is that that, for all the other accuracy, they portray him as nailed to the cross by his hands (palms), which is inaccurate - it was thru the wrists.

::shakes his head in befuddlement::

Preacher said:
Cheesy? Hardly. This is an historical event the ramifications of which have changed the entire course of human history in the 2,000 yrs or so since. You may not like it or find it interesting yerself (to each his own), and that's OK, but humanity as a whole has found it so compelling that it has divided history in half (B.C. & A.D.).
I don't know anything about Gibson's film, so I'm not saying it will be cheesy. However, it is worth pointing out that any film about any event in the history of the world, has potential to be cheesy.

Maybe they thought the hands were more poetic or something. I'm not sure which would hurt more....

Edit: Too bad I don't have an arch nemesis on these boards or I would attempt to find out.... :D

T8H3X11 said:
Of all the violence in movies (of which I'm not bothered by) nowadays, a movie comes along which is authentic and portrays truly the "Greatest Story Ever Told" and nobody wants to take it because the fear it will bring up too much controversy. Please.

Yeah, too bad someone named Martin Scorsese made this back in 1988.

Mav23 said:
Maybe they thought the hands were more poetic or something. I'm not sure which would hurt more....
Well, I dunno about poetic, but having it that way conforms it to the inaccurate portrayals of the crucifixion in art/cinema all throughout history. Only a few of the more recent efforts ("Jesus of Nazareth", The Last Temptation of Christ", I think) have attempted to correct this inaccuracy.

That's the thing that gets me, though: Why go to all that effort to make sure everything's dead-on accurate, and then miss something that obvious?..

As far as hurting more, it's like this:

1) If the nails went into the palms, then your sheer body weight would cause the spikes to tear thru the palms soon after the cross went vertical. That would ouch you, but also it would mean they'd hafta take it down and renail you to the cross in another anatomic location, etc.. That's why it couldn't have been in the palms.

2) IRC that the wrists would hurt even more, because placing the spike between your radius & ulna (the two forearm bones that meet at the wrist) would virtually ensure that your radial nerve would get pinched and stretched, esp. after you went vertical. Anyone who's ever suffered from a nerve compression syndrome (think sciatica, for example) knows how excruciating of a pain that can cause. YOWZA!

And LeHah? Martin Scorcese's flick was not the same movie. He told more of the back story of Christ (not just the day of his crucifixion), and besides, that movie was fictional. Based on a 1960s novel of the same name by Dino Kazantzakis, the premise of it was, what would it have been like to be in Jesus' head, and be faced with the temptation to chuck it all and not go thru with the crucifixion? That is, what is Jesus had fallen prey to the "temptation" to abandon His mission and just live a normal earthly life (wife, kids, retirement, etc.)?...

THAT was precisely what caused the controversy; the idea that any movie would portray Jesus as NOT fulfilling His mission, or even contemplating not doing so. The response was entirely unnecessary, as there's nothing sacriligious about such a thought. Scripture teaches that Jesus was "a man like us in all things but sin". And, temptation is not a sin; giving IN to it is what leads us into sin.

LeHah said:
Yeah, too bad someone named Martin Scorsese made this back in 1988.
Come now, LeHah, you know perfectly well that Martin Scorsese's films pale in comparison to the work of a great and accomplished filmmaker of Mel Gibson's stature.

Maybe it was people didn't like seeing Jesus get his shit on with Mary Magdalene?

Kinda hard to vouch for the whole thing since everyone who was around back then is dead now

And I'm from Connecticut, Bob.

LeHah said:
Kinda hard to vouch for the whole thing since everyone who was around back then is dead now

And I'm from Connecticut, Bob.

Who said anything about you? :(

Quarto said:
Come now, LeHah, you know perfectly well that Martin Scorsese's films pale in comparison to the work of a great and accomplished filmmaker of Mel Gibson's stature.

Hey, now, this movie has the potential to be up there with that one where he could read womens minds... with hilarious results!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back