Super Wing Commander

Caveman

Spaceman
I always wanted to play this one, and it seems I have 2 options now:

1. Buy a 3DO and the game
2. Buy an old Mac and this version of the game

Since the 3DO is very rare, I would have to pay 70$ or more. To get an old Mac isn't the problem, but to find the Mac version of SWC is.

And emulators are out of the option, since the experience is described as "somewhat playable".

Any ideas?

Doing a quick search, it does seem that the Mac version is fairly rare. There are quite a few 3DO copies but I didn't stumble across a single Mac version.

Doing a quick search, it does seem that the Mac version is fairly rare. There are quite a few 3DO copies but I didn't stumble across a single Mac version.

Yeah I've noted its nearly impossible to get now. I got my hands on a copy a few years ago and haven''t played it. I have the 3do version as well so I never saw the need.

I've actually tracked down a 3DO and a copy of Super Wing Commander for it. I am currently in negotiations over it with the guy. He has several other 3DOs for sale so when I conclude my negotiations I'll post his details here for other people. I have two copies of SWC for mac, I am undecided but I may sell one of them (sold one will be without box/manuals. afaik has got the cd case manual tho.). The gameplay experience is decent in an emulator. I am interested in the 3DO for both WC3 and SWC I figure if I'm going to play WC3 on a console I may as well get the best console version of the game (wish I had a joystick for 3DO but the flightsticks cost a fortune they're apparently quite rare.). The only flaw with using a mac emulator afaik is I had to play SWC via keyboard. There must be a way around that limitation I guess it would make a good project for a programmer to write a joystick plugin for the existing emulator.

I'm trying the same (to get a 3DO and SWC). I don't know which kind of ports the 3DO-controlers have, maybe a joystick from another system is compatible (like sega genesis an atari controlers are...).

Yeah I've noted its nearly impossible to get now. I got my hands on a copy a few years ago and haven''t played it. I have the 3do version as well so I never saw the need.

I got my copy as a gift from LOAF probably 10 years ago now? I was a bit surprised that more copies weren't floating around. I'm sure if one is vigilant you might stumble across one at some point.

I got my copy as a gift from LOAF probably 10 years ago now? I was a bit surprised that more copies weren't floating around. I'm sure if one is vigilant you might stumble across one at some point.

I don't think it ever really took off on the Mac (if at all really). I'm sorry but even today I just don't think there are enough Mac users out there to really get a fan base going.

I am interested in the 3DO for both WC3 and SWC

I'm curious to play WC3 on the 3DO too, the youtube videos at least make the game look great, full colour VDU images if I recall correctly?

Anybody know if the 3DO WC3 was a direct port from PC?

From what I've heard the 3do port has a different model for some kilrathi transports. They're more like the wing commander 4 kilrathi transports you see in the wc4 cutscenes getting nailed with a flashpak. The ground missions have been removed and replaced with cutscenes. So you'd fly I presume harder space missions in those levels, and then you get to watch a pretty cutscene of Blair laying the smack down. There are landing and takeoff cutscenes too so I reckon that manual takeoffs/landings have been removed. So basically some things have been added, and some things taken away. It'll be interesting to play it.

I'm trying the same (to get a 3DO and SWC). I don't know which kind of ports the 3DO-controlers have, maybe a joystick from another system is compatible (like sega genesis an atari controlers are...).

I think the 3DO is a unique animal in this respect. Genesis controllers "fit" into the 3DO but they don't actually do anything. There *was* an SNES adapter that let you use Nintendo peripherals, but good luck finding one (or a reason to want one).

There is, however, an absolutely wonderful 3DO-specificc flight stick from CH Products. In terms of form factor it was exactly the same as their PC Flightstick Pro... but it had the 3DO buttons and was integrated into control schemes for SWC and WC3. Great, great product -- search for one if you're serious about Wing Commander on the 3DO.

I don't think it ever really took off on the Mac (if at all really). I'm sorry but even today I just don't think there are enough Mac users out there to really get a fan base going.

Pretty much no one outside of Bungie was developing original games for the Macintosh in the mid-1990s... and Origin was no exception. Super Wing Commander was a port... but it was probably more succesful than you're imagining (as it was followed by ports of Wing Commander III and IV).

Gaming on the Mac in 2009 is a different animal. Since everyone is now part of the same Intel architecture family, any AAA title (...how few remain...) is now almost always PC and Mac compatible right out of the box. I need to order a copy of Sims 3 for my Macbook...

Anybody know if the 3DO WC3 was a direct port from PC?

It was not! Wing Commander 3 3DO is my favorite console port ever -- because they rebuilt the gameplay from the bottom up with a focus on action rather than precisely (and slowly) emulating the PC version (which is what the PSX and Mac ports did). All the missions are completely different in the 3DO one and the engine is a bit faster paced (and less graphically intensive -- it feels like a blend of WC3 and WC2).

It seems possible to use Amiga and C64 Joysticks with the 3DO, but I don't know if you need this adapter for that. If I have my 3DO, I will test that.

I've managed to get wing commander 3 3do running in an emulator. At the moment I'm waiting for my FZ-1 to arrive. :) The game is so different to the PC version it's like night and day. Space is black like the night, there's new nebula graphics. The victory has slightly modified graphics too. There's some animations taken out like the lift animation. The map screen is different. The whole game feels different. It's awesome. It's basically a new game different to the pc version.

It's a remake of WC1 with newer graphics. The major difference is that it does not include SM2. Instead it has (what most fans call) SM 1.5 which follow the Claw as it goes about destroying the Sivar shipyards.

It's a remake of WC1 with newer graphics. The major difference is that it does not include SM2. Instead it has (what most fans call) SM 1.5 which follow the Claw as it goes about destroying the Sivar shipyards.

However, it can be somewhat confusing as it has a lot of the same dialogue as Crusade.

So, what do you think?

However, it can be somewhat confusing as it has a lot of the same dialogue as Crusade.

Yes, we don't point this out enough -- it's a bunch of new missions, but it isn't something that seamlessly slides into the Wing Commander I fiction. It 'retells' the major background points of Secret Missions 2 in a number of places (ie, Bossman's death, flying the Dralthi, etc.) It was designed as a *replacement* for SM2 rather than an addition (lord knows what they had against Firekkans in 93-94...).

mainly been playing wc3, but from what I've seen the SWC control scheme wasn't as well thought out. (especially comms) The gameplay is good though once you wrap your head around the controls. The addition of speech to WC1 is a very nice improvement. The added cutscenes of the armor going on and the fighters being loaded/launched are well done. I'm actually amused by the similarities between how super wing commander starts and how starlancer starts. both essentially begin the same way. Shuttle landing on carrier with rookie fresh out of academy.

It's a shame Wing Commander IV never made it to the 3D0 I heard it was in development when 3D0 stopped making games.

Back