Super Wing Commander

Lunitari

Spaceman
So, it's like this.....I am bidding on a copy of Super Wing Commander for the Mac. I don't have a Mac, but I have always wanted to play the game. I also have some other software around the house for the Mac, but I am most interested in playing Super Wing Commander. Now, I was an old Commodore guy, but the only real exposure I had to Apple was the Mac Classics, and the G5's we used at the printing press I worked for. What kind of system would I need to have a good playing experience?

Well, SWC is more than ten years old, so no fancy system whatsoever. And aside from incompatibilities with newer OSes, a fast computer should have no computer running it at an appropriate speed.

At the reccomendation of other CZers, I purchased a "PowerMac 7300" to do SWC/WC3/WC4 Mac. It cost me something like $20 on eBay... I still haven't actually set it up.

Wow, I have seen several 7300's on eBay for ten dollars or so plus shipping. Let me know how it works for your WC games, will you? Just drop me an e-mail if you can. Thanks Loaf.

Looks too much like work to get that emulator running. I think I will just pick up a cheapo $10.00 PowerMac on eBay like Loaf did.

I still use a PowerMac G3 that works well for WC3 and WC4. I have OS 9.2.2, but I think my old one was 8.0 and both should work fine (WC4 only requires OS 7.1). I plan on getting an expensive non-Mac laptop for real estate and video games (hopefully I won't get fired for playing WCProphesy while I'm hosting open houses :D), but I plan on keeping my old G3 for classic WC games- Super Wing Commander is on my list to buy too.

Good luck Whoopass. I only found one copy on eBay. Maybe we could enter a bidding war. :D

I am not much of a Mac guy....would Wing 3 and 4 run on a PowerMac 7300? Loaf said that Super Wing Commander should run fine on it.

I'm not much of a Mac guy either :D. If I were a betting man though, I'd bet some money that Loaf's right. Don't worry, I won't bid against you for the game :) . I'm a ways off from buying it- first I need to sell some houses to make some money to buy a laptop to play WCP. Then I need to beat WCP and be satisfied enough with it to move on. I'd love to hear how the game is though- if it's good enough maybe I'll shell out for it before I buy the laptop. Did you start with the more recent WC games before getting that, or have you already played the earlier ones and just want a diff. version? I started with WC3 and have played 4, so I'm a little concerned that the graphics will be a prob. for me... I'm eager to hear your reaction.

Nice....I liked the way you changed your signature Whoopass. I have played Wing Commander in just about every incarnation. I started with Wing 1 on a 486-25 MHz. I rented the Super NES version plus the Special Missions. It was one of those things where you probably would have loved it if you never played the PC version. I upgraded my computer to a DX2-66 to play Wing 2. Then, I was out of the loop for a while and I missed Wing 3, but bought it for my Playstation. That was pretty cool. I bought my next PC to play Prophecy, and that was my first 3D-accelerated game. I thought that was just the greatest thing. The Mac versions are pretty much the only ones I never played. I saw Super Wing Commander for the Mac, and I was so jealous that it was not released for the PC. That was years ago, and now I can see how cheap it will be to grab an older Mac and a copy of Super WC.

The thing I reccomended should be good for all the games -- I chose it based on a similar thread with a similar intent in mind.

It's back home in Maryland right now -- I probably won't try to get it online until this summer.

Bummer. Well, I guess I will let everyone know how mine works when I get it. $9.99 plus shipping. Can't beat that.

Any PowerMac with a 60x level processor will run the Mac WC's just fine. It might not be a bad idea though to go for 7500-9600 model ranges as they used mostly 603 and 604/604e chips that will give you better performance and it shouldn't be that much of a price jump.

On a side note, I have so far been unlucky in finding my Mac WC games and as such the FAQ for getting them running has well gone...nowhere....hopefully after spring break (Cancun with 8 other guys from my house) I will have more $ and time to go find some copies....

Are there any discernable differences between the Mac version of Super Wing Commander and the Panasonic 3DO version?

Back