Super Soaker Helix Review

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
This is a review of the new 2004 Super Soaker Helix. After previously reviewing the outstanding Triple Aggressor, I wanted to go with something lighter and in the middle of the current year's lineup. The Helix retails for US$14.99 and is much more compact, so it seemed like a good choice.

I wasn't sure what to expect. On the surface, there are no pressure tanks or even triggers. I half-expected a simple direct pump-to-stream Super Soaker along the lines of the old style Power Soakers, but there is already the SS Vaporizer that is supposed to fill that role this year. The good news is that if anyone considers this a Power Soaker, it is an exciting and revolutionary one that's incredibly fun to use.

The packaging is nice with a built in handle and free Soaker Tags included. Although the gun is somewhat compact, it fits comfortably in your arms and is proportioned well. The blaster handle fits larger hands much better than most of the 2000 model XPs or MaxD blasters and has a good grip on it. The pictures online make it seem smaller than it actually is. Water capacity is average at 35 ounces, and the gun utilizes interior space well. All available space acts as a water reservoir, including the area within the molded handle. The reservoir cap is large and allows for easy filling.
https://www.wcnews.com/chrisreid/helix1.jpg

Pumps are quick and efficient along a six-inch semi-track. As this is a derivative of the original Power Soaker design, there is no pumping between shots and each pump puts out a substantial blast. My first shot was shocking, to say the least. I expected a little twirling stream, but a wonderful torrent erupted from the front of the Soaker. There is a twisting nozzle adjuster on the front of the gun to alternate between wide and narrow beams. Two nozzles rotate quickly with each pump. This creates a double-helix pattern of water. The nozzles rotate quickly, so this effectively creates a powerful blast cone. There is an interior core to the blast that resembles a hollow one-inch beam. Water spirals around this beam as range increases. It’s difficult to get a good picture of this. The official image is the best I have, but you have to imagine a conical blast effect rather than just two twirling beams.
https://www.wcnews.com/chrisreid/helix2.jpg

This is a short-range gun, no doubt, but it is incredibly useful at short range. I have been waiting for a good shotgun Soaker for several years. I thought the Splashzooka 65 might be it, but that one ended up working differently than I had imagined. The Super Soaker Helix is my shotgun. At about 15-20 feet, it will completely drench a five-foot diameter circle. At 10-15 feet the soaking blast is a wonderful three feet across. The coverage produced by a single six-inch pump on the Helix soaks an area that would otherwise require both barrels on a Monster XL working in tandem. Range is short of course, but the Soaker is very light and drenches people with just one hit. If you were to sneak up on someone and hit them with this, they would be absolutely soaked from head to toe. Because the gun puts out so much water in one blast, intense firefights can deplete the reservoir fairly quickly. I might have liked a larger water supply, but that could detract from the benefits of the Helix’s compact and mobile package. This blast isn’t really suitable for sustained combat over long distances like the Triple Aggressor, but is an amazing support Soaker and great for short and fierce battles. If you ever get a chance to try one, I think the water this thing throws out will surprise you. Don't expect a stream consistent with other Soakers its size, because the Helix throws a real deluge at its target. Combine this with its quick and light nature, and you've got an exciting Soaker. Have fun!
https://www.wcnews.com/chrisreid/helix3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Super Soaker

My little brother had a Super Soaker 50 (Blasicly a Hand Gun, compared to the new ones :D)

Yeah, I've got a Chome 50, a Yellow 50, Camo 50, a keychain 50, a special custom backpack for the 50.. :)

Hmm.. interested in selling the 2000? It's a CPS 2000 right? Gray gun with purple tank?

I have fond memories of epic afternoon-long super soaker battles across the neighborhood, and in the woods...

Do you still find time to engage in super soaker battles?

The 1968 version was the coolest.

Attachments

• flamethrower-vietnam.jpg
    flamethrower-vietnam.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 185
ChrisReid said:
Yeah, I've got a Chome 50, a Yellow 50, Camo 50, a keychain 50, a special custom backpack for the 50.. :)

My Brother's got the Keychain one too. My Brother-In-Law has got a re-released 50 (from about 4 years ago I think) that he uses to shoot Cats at get in his Garden :D

My partents bought me the very first super soaker to ever come out. after that, I bought the XP 150. It broke after a few months and that was my last Supersoaker. :(

I miss the Super Soaker 25 - best watergun sidearm ever, had its own holster and two extra magazines.

I remember when super soakers were a huge controversy because some discovered you could put noxious chemicals inside the tanks...

yeah but the super soaker one was quite popular on the news IIRC and was almost banned in some places I think...

Dundradal said:
I remember when super soakers were a huge controversy because some discovered you could put noxious chemicals inside the tanks...

You're confusing real life with Ernest Scared stupid.

Back