Suggestions for Standoff

Standoff is the best unofficial addon for WC: Secret Ops.
Its great music, modded sounds, and its storyline plus
its voice over of each characters is number one. I would
like to suggest some elements in order for this addon
to be the much better or would increase the enjoyment
of the gameplay.

1. Possibly, it would be better to add a ship selection for some the
missions. A maximum of two ships (like Unknown Enemy) but not
all throughout the missions.

2. Addition of Decks/rooms if it is possible.

3. Adding more atmosphere for the deck (Rec room, etc.) so that it
would sound better but not too much. Balanced.

I hope they could help this addon to be the best.

Thanks... :)

MasterRevan2004 said:
1. Possibly, it would be better to add a ship selection for some the missions. A maximum of two ships (like Unknown Enemy) but not all throughout the missions.
We already have one mission where you select your ship - and there definitely will be more later on ;).

2. Addition of Decks/rooms if it is possible.
...And what would you do in those other rooms? :p We feel that having one room is enough, because everything you need is available from there. Of course, like in the prologue, once you get to the ship selection missions, there will be a second room where you select your ship. Other than that, however, the only place where you will see other rooms is in the cutscenes.

3. Adding more atmosphere for the deck (Rec room, etc.) so that it
would sound better but not too much. Balanced.
Yeah, we did hope to add background music to the recroom. Unfortunately, while nearly every single WC game prior to WCP had this feature... believe it or not, there is no way to play music outside of spaceflight in WCP. We're still looking for ways to work around this limitation, but personally I wouldn't bet on it.

Quarto said:
Yeah, we did hope to add background music to the recroom. Unfortunately, while nearly every single WC game prior to WCP had this feature... believe it or not, there is no way to play music outside of spaceflight in WCP. We're still looking for ways to work around this limitation, but personally I wouldn't bet on it.

I guess those clips I sent you to try to do this didn't work out then? Too bad...

Yea, we've been trying to fix this, but it hasn't been looking good. The closest we can do right now is jazz standards for the cutscenes in the rec room (and there's going to be a lot more in future episodes).

I bet there´s more cutscenes-per-episode in the upcoming chapters... but if you want the game to be finished in a reasonable time, it can´t be made like WC2´s one-after-every-mission.

However, if you have ways to provide proper funding for the staff (beta testers included), Eder would probably be willing to redo all the cutscenes in FMV! :D

Standoff kicks serious ass...I don't think it needs more atmosphere, or really anything but more missions!! I am still looking for the secret thing to click on aboard the firekka for the easter egg. (shotglass, the pirate song) Where's it at? The flight deck?

For the additional rooms, maybe you can add a bar like in the one in wc1,
and a hangar room much like the one in wc4. so that it can make the
ship look big inside (realism). That is why i have add it on my suggestions
list. Anyone who can suggest some addition of elements may reply to this
thread so that standoff would look better and the greatest.. :)

I reckon at this point stick with what you do best.:)
Scope creep is the #1 killer of projects...

MasterRevan2004 said:
For the additional rooms, maybe you can add a bar like in the one in wc1, and a hangar room much like the one in wc4. so that it can make the ship look big inside (realism).
You're missing the point. Sure, we can add more rooms (well... we could, if Eder wasn't busy doing everything else :p). But why would we want to? There's no point having a room where the only thing you can do is click on the door to go on to the next room... and that's exactly what we would end up with. Yes, the ship would feel bigger... but it would also feel really, really empty.

Of course, we could fill those empty rooms with lots of people and plenty of cutscenes, but for that please report to my previous post on this thread.

He's right...

Ok, I have some more ideas for Standoff.

Is it possible to add cutscenes when launching after the briefing similar to WCP?
I know WCP and SO are similar and has the same game engine. Only difference is that SO has limited music, no video clips and others.

Plus, maybe a minor problem on Standoff Episode 2 where the doors does not have any sounds, is it possible to resolve that problem?

I'm still thinking for other possible additions that Standoff and Unknown Enemy can have. :)

I haven’t had a chance to play it much and one room is fine for me but an idea of how to use multiple rooms would be this.

At the end of one episode you would be in at the rec-room tilting back a beer and talking to people about what a tough mission it was. You can’t go to any other room like now: just talk to people, save, quit, or go to the next mission.

When you come back from another mission you might be in the Observation room. Again all you can do it talk to people save, quit, or go to the next mission but not another room. The idea is that the room reflects the story line and at the same time shows that the ship is bigger.

An interesting idea though it would make think more complex.

I think most people who have played standoff would agree that it has exceeded everyone's expectations. The gameplay alone harkens back to the glory days of wing commander and the overall story is superb, not to mention that the creators chose to finally give life to argueably the most exciting, decisive, and action-packed campaign of the Kilrathi war. I don't think adding extra room or silly 2 seconds animations of a ship flying out of a carrier would really be worth the time, and some of those things are best left to the imagination. I think the any time spent creating the game would be best put to getting the new missions/episodes out asap. Standoff definately has drawn many people in, even with the few missions yet available, and I think that not much could be done to improve what's out so far. Definately nothing that would make it worth waiting longer for the rest of the game. Long live wing commander.

That setup ytou descibed sounds eerily close to how things were in Wing 3...but I pose this question...was your imagination sparked more by the single barroom you could visit in Wing 1, or by all the different rooms in Wing 3. I, for one, always felt like I knew the Tiger's Claw more than the Victory, because the ship's details were best left up to my minds' eye. Everything is unnecessary, in my opinion, but that just me. I prefer to be in the cockpit rather than lounging around in the ship.

Eh, we really don't need ideas on how we could use more rooms. We're not even considering it, because we simply don't have enough Eders for it.

My Suggestion or rather request is for the later episodes is for you to be able to have romatic relationship with Sparrow again. That would be awesome.

Unregistered said:
My Suggestion or rather request is for the later episodes is for you to be able to have romatic relationship with Sparrow again. That would be awesome.

Obviously, since that's one of the plot arcs, it'll be resolved in one way or the other. You'll just have to wait and find out. :p

Yeah, surprisingly enough, we are planning to eventually have some kind of resolution to all the different character arcs we have going on :p.

Back