Stupid question abotu Privateer and secret ops

yoyoyojo

Rear Admiral
Ok I'm not really a newbie but I need soem clarification on several titles.

i have teh Kilrathi saga which I got primarily to play WC3. I'm not really interested in the older games as much. I liek the 3d graphic and real video cut scenes.

I also have Wc4 2 sided dvd and WC Prophecy both which I can run on XP.

What I am confused about is where does Privateer fit into all this. Does this game a) work on XP? b) is it more of the "modern" WC with 3d graphics c) does it have cut scenes like wc3 thru Prophecy? where in the timeline does privateer fit in?

As for secret ops I believe it is an add-on for WC3 correct? Do I have the secret ops with kilrathi saga? I though it did come with them. Also heard tehy are available for download.

Secret Ops isn't an addon for WC 3. It's a completely new game dealing with a new alien threat, the Nephilim. It continues the story arc started in Wing Commander Prophecy. Since it came out much later than WC3, it's technical and graphically superior to WC3, but it doesn't feature FMV cutscenes like WC3.

Privateer, on the other hand is older than WC3. It is a space trading/combat game set in the WC universe(game concept is similar to Freelancer, X, Tachyon, but good),
but since it's older the graphics arent as good and it doesn't has cutscenes with real actors; but it still one of the best games ever made.

The Addons for KS are Secret Missions 1&2 for WC1 and Special Operations 1&2 for Wc2. Also I must reccomend that you try WC1&2 because they are really the classic WC and if you ask me they are also the better games

Also thought this fact is unimportant SM1&2 and SpecOps1&2 are not KS exclusive as my post implied

What I am confused about is where does Privateer fit into all this. Does this game a) work on XP? b) is it more of the "modern" WC with 3d graphics c) does it have cut scenes like wc3 thru Prophecy? where in the timeline does privateer fit in?

Privateer does not work in XP, although you can run it with a DOS emulator like DOSBox. It's more like the older games, with bitmap graphics. It doesn't have full motion video in the modern sense. It takes place in 2669, concurrent with Wing Commander III.

As for secret ops I believe it is an add-on for WC3 correct? Do I have the secret ops with kilrathi saga? I though it did come with them. Also heard tehy are available for download.

Secret Ops was the stand-alone followup to Prophecy. It's not an addon, so you don't need any other game to run it. The retail version shipped with the gold edition of Wing Commander Prophecy.

Lynx said:
Privateer, on the other hand is older than WC3. It is a space trading/combat game set in the WC universe(game concept is similar to Freelancer, X, Tachyon, but good).
Hey, I really liked Tachyon. It was one of the best space sims I've played in a long time.

OK cool. Sounds like Secret Ops would be the only one I'm really interested in. So you guys are saying Secret Ops has the same graphics engine as does Prophecy? Are the rotors reversed there as well like in Prophecy?

I did try to play Wc1 and WC2 since I have them with Kilrathi Saga, only spent a few minutes but found it really dificult to play because the graphics were hard for
me to follow.

unfortunately for me i did not play them back in the day so i do not have that nostalgia with them. hell i've been caught playing Atari 2600 games on the PC for like hours, I guess because I have that historical reference with them.

OK cool. Sounds like Secret Ops would be the only one I'm really interested in. So you guys are saying Secret Ops has the same graphics engine as does Prophecy? Are the rotors reversed there as well like in Prophecy?

Yeah, same engine as Prophecy ("Vision").

I'm not sure what you mean by rotors, though.

He is probably be talking about the reversed rudders in WCP. SO lets you select which way you want to have the rudders to work, defaulting to WCPs wrong ones.

brain fart

up i done brain farted on that one. i meant rudders.

cff said:
He is probably be talking about the reversed rudders in WCP. SO lets you select which way you want to have the rudders to work, defaulting to WCPs wrong ones.

Back