Strike Commander

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
This was one game I never got the chance to play. I remember having it though on a CD that had other games on it too. It was a really hard game to get working for some reason. I remember hearing the sounds and voices and music but I never got a picture. Was that game any good?

It came on a cd with priv/rf when my family bought a gateway 2000 way back in 90s....really great game

Yeah, I had some problems in getting it to work at first too. Several years later, I decided to give it a go... and got hooked. It's a WC-style plot-driven flight sim! :) If you can get Privateer and/or Armada working, you should have a go at getting Strike Commander to work.

whats it about? ive heard about it but havent seen it or played it before. is it on the same level of quality as WC?

Absolutely - AFAIK, it was the first use of the RealSpace engine, which was also used in Armada, WC3, and WC4.

Your character commands the Wildcats mercenary squadron, their base is in Istanbul, Turkey. You mostly fly F-16s, in missions all around the world. I can't say more now, 'cause I need to get to class.

Oh yeah, the voice actor for "Tex" (I think), one of your squadron members, is the same guy that does the voice for Burrows in Privateer.

I used to play Strike Commander when I was about ten years old, and it was completely awesome (still is, I should say). If ever there was a game that should be remade (for the gba, perhaps, a la Prophecy), Strike Commander is it.

Was there an expansion pack for it?

An expansion pack AND F-22?
Great.
All it needs is the ability to blow up the enemy's homeworld...or I guess nuking their country would be the equivalent, in the ridiculously far-off year of 2011? Was it 2011 in that game? Or am I mistaken?

You could only carry 4 missiles in the Strike Commander F-22: 2 sidewinders and 2 AMRAMMs. :(

IIRC, you fly a couple of missions in the F-22 at the end of the main SC campaign too. F-22 missions are limited in Tactical Operations because maintaining it is very difficult.

[Gameplay balance, perhaps? What sort of armament does a real F-22 carry?]

I don't think an F-22 carries many missles. The idea for that jet was that it could deliver a missle and get out before anyone knew what was going on.

El_Destructo said:
I don't think an F-22 carries many missles. The idea for that jet was that it could deliver a missle and get out before anyone knew what was going on.

The F-22 can carry up to six AIM-120C or four AIM-120A AMRAMMs in the main bay, plus two Sidewinders in little sidebays. And this is the internal weapons. It can also carry them on outer hardpoints if needed.

It's all here

I've heard that there were two different voice actors for Burrows. One on the diskette version, and one on the cd version (I have the cd version). Which one did the SC voice?

By the way, is there a place where I can hear a sample of the other Burrows voice? I heard that it was much better, but I've never heard it.

IIRC, the CD version of Privateer had Strike Commander's "Tex" as Burrows' voice. The floppy disk version of Privateer had "The Hero" (ie the player character) from Strike Commander as the voice for Burrows. I could be wrong, though.

I really liked the voice they used for burrows on the cd (don't know if it's different because I have the Priv/RF/SC cd, which is awesome, 2.5 games on 1 cd!)

It would be interesting to hear the two....

Strike Commander is my facorite flight sim, and favorite game after privateer (almost tied).

it's the only flight sim i know of with with a STORY too... something modern ones DESPERATELY need. campaigns aren't much fun. some characters and plot make a big difference for me.

-scheherazade

Back