Strike Commander

Sonic98

Spaceman
What did you all really think of the game? I liked some things about it because it had some of the same qualities as WC. Sometimes I didn't like the way the planes flew, especially when my missles ran out, and I had to fight with the gun. There were 1 or 2 types of planes, I found it hard to get behind. Plus, unlike Wing Commander, they didn't give you a summary or total at the end. Unless it said " Mission Accomplished, returned to base" you got no credit for all the work you did. Atleast in WC2, you were rated waypoint by waypoint, and you got some credit when preparing to land. I liked how you'd discuss with the radio operator how many kills each person got on the mission.

What a coincidence!
I`ve started playing the game just a few days ago, and to tell the truth, I sorta` enjoy even though it does have it`s share of problems, such as difficult handling of the planes and distorted graphics, but it`s still a nice concept.
I must say I`m finding it very hard to hit ground targets, or even figuring which targets are essential to complete a mission.
I sometimes destroy a whole bunch of ground targets, using all my bombs, only to discover that I have a whole navpoint left with targets to destroy.
frown.gif

Also, I am forced to use the unlimited ammo option if I want to be able to survive a dogfight. Maybe I`m just not good enough a pilot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that game, I never had any trouble killing ground targets or dogfighting. Just aim for the cockpit when you shoot, and they die in like 10 rounds. Air to groud is easy, your targets just sit there.

[This message has been edited by Cricket (edited May 31, 2000).]

I like the game, but I've been stuck on Alaska for so long that I've given up on it. Then of course, there's the fact that I'm too lazy to try and configure this beast to have sound in DOS.

How about Pacific Strike? Now that was a brilliant game, even if there were more bugs in it than in WCP and SO combined.
smile.gif

I myself haven't played Strike Commander but it sounds cool.

------------------
And I was stupid enough to think that us brotha's had to stick togetha. :p

Quarto said:
there's the fact that I'm too lazy to try and configure this beast to have sound in DOS.

What kind of sound problems do you have?
I haven`t experienced any probelms what-so-ever with the sound.
BTW, I have a Roland LAPC sound card, so the music also sounds great!

Oh, I just don't have the sound card configured to work in DOS, is all. Probably wouldn't be too difficult, since I can always go to the Tech Forum and yell "Stinger, help!"
smile.gif
... but I just don't have much of a reason to. I don't feel like playing SC, PS just doesn't work right on modern computers, and Priv & RF I finished a long time ago.

Dammit, it looks like my attempt to Topic Drift onto Pacific Strike has been foiled
smile.gif

Don`t be so sure, I bet someone will read this topic and start reminiscing about the game.
wink.gif

You could just not go to Alsaka, you know. Say no to the guy twice and he'll leave you alone.

I use the keyboard.

[This message has been edited by Cricket (edited June 01, 2000).]

Hmm, yes... skip Alaska, why not... maybe later.

Seriously though, none of you have played PS?
smile.gif

I only had problems with ground targets the first 2 or 3 times I played it. Then I got great at ground missions. The only time I might mess up is on the ones where you have to take out a runway or the ones where you have to take out moving vehicles. Sometimes the bombs that don't drop when you first hit the button get on my nerves too.

For the guy that said he was never had trouble with dogfighting.....how long does it normally take you to get a kill?

Pacific Strike was made when Origin was in its prime. (It was during those harsh winter nights where the programmers would open all the office windows while wearing shorts and a t-shirt until their brains froze over... afterwards, when the ice melted from their grey matter... WHALLA! Pacific Strike!)...

Unfortunately, Origin now uses Air Condiitioners in their offices...

frown.gif

------------------
Member of BlackLance HQ

"To take one step forward, you must look back three steps... and walk forward while looking back... "

Anyways, about Pacific Strike. If you are having problems striking moving ground vehicles, stoops down low enough (without getting burned), and drop like this:

If the target is moving like this, and you are like this:
--|Target|----><---|You|-----
Equalize your speed with the target, and drop just before!you think is the right time to drop. You'll have an approximate 70-80% hit rate.

If the target is moving like this, and you are like this:
--|You|--->----|Target|--->
Increase speed over target's speed, and drop, just afteryou think is the right time to drop.

Well... there you have it!

There is my two credits... ... ...

------------------
Member of BlackLance HQ

"To take one step forward, you must look back three steps... and walk forward while looking back... "

[This message has been edited by Metras (edited June 03, 2000).]

Well, I`ve gotten pretty good at bombing ground targets since my last post. You`re right cricket, it`s not that big a deal after all.
How do you know you`ve completely destroyed a runway anyway? I drop dozens of bombs (well, let`s not get carried away, but you know what I mean) and I never get any indication wheather it`s destroyed or not.
Anyone an idea?

Sonic: It takes me from 10 secs to 2 minutes, don't waste ammo unless you've got a clear shot, then kill him in one burst to the canopy or exhaust.

Mad Hatter: I guess you could turn on the camera just for the attack, otherwise the guy'll tell you mission accomplished once you destroy it.

Oh yeah, unless you've got a really big target to kill, like a ship or refinery or something, I'd use rockets instead of bombs. You get more of them and they're eaier to aim.

You can also kill fighters with them once you're close in so you don't have to waste gun ammo.

I`m talking specifically about runways, or is it runaways.
smile.gif

How do I know I`ve destroyed it?

If you destroy it, it should tell you either tell you mission complete or move to next waypoint. What I do is drop a bomb at each end of the runway about 2 or 3 feet from the end. Then I drop 2 in the middle each about 2 feet from the center of the runway in each direction. That normally gets it.

I don't know why they never made a sequel.

Back