Strategies

ArMyDeMoN

Spaceman
I see lots of posts on things in the game, technical help, and othere things, but what happened to the good old strategies? I like to see a few strategies up every once in a while that I can try out.

Well, if you need help with a specific mission from any of the games, just ask here and there should always be some people here to help you. We don't usualy talk about strategies unless someone needs help.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here's one. I like to use the tab (Afterburner) key when an enemy ship turns away from you after going head on with it because it will probably afterburn itself, and there's mroe of a chance that missles will hit (not enough time to release decoy). I also like to put my shields about 75% in the front and 25% in the back, because I usually go at the enemy. I also like to use full guns, and use locking missles before I go to the auto-tracking ones.

------------------
I can only please one person per day.

Today is not your day.

Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

[This message has been edited by ArMyDeMoN (edited March 07, 2000).]

He he, well using AB's is actualy something that all of us do.

Setting shields like you do is actualy very dengerous, even if you go against other ships head on.

AFAIK, most of the people here use the full guns all the time, except when you have to disable a ship with leach guns, or when you fly something with Stormifres/CMD's, and similar supper guns.

Also, technicly there are no auto tracking missiles (though there are auto tracking guns
smile.gif
). There are two missiles in WC's (at least the main games, and Priv, I still don't know anything about P2 missiles) that are tracking, but don't require a lock, the FF missiles and the Mosquito RP's. Both of them are looking for a closest ship that doese't have the same IFF signals like you do. Personaly though I like to use the Dragonfly RP's and the Dumbfires. The Dragonflys are great against practicly any ship, and the Dumbfires do about two times as much damage as most other missiles so you can get some quick kills.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited March 07, 2000).]

I love those Dart missiles.
smile.gif
smile.gif

How is setting one sheild dangerous? Maintaining the powere level and switching one sheild to recharge faster is not recommending but flying styles differ so much that it might be considered useful.

------------------
A wingmen is essential; they give the enemy something else to shoot at.
A turret is essential; it gives you something else to shoot with.

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited March 07, 2000).]

Death's Head said:
I love those Dart missiles.
smile.gif
smile.gif

One of the best missiles in WC.
cool.gif

How is setting one sheild dangerous? Maintaining the powere level and switching one sheild to recharge faster is not recommending but flying styles differ so much that it might be considered useful.

I mean that it's dangerous to set your shields 75% in front, and 25% in the rear, and going into battle like that. When you're in a fire fight, you don't realy have time to switch the shield levels.

You're right, that is the case, uh usually. Practice is necessary before you tinker around thinking you can evade missiles AND gunfire from the rear most of the time.

We agreed twice today EW, wow! What next? Maybe they will release Armada 2...oh yeah they cancelled that project.
frown.gif

I usualy set my shields to 40% in front and 60% in the back. Keeps me safe enough in dogifights, and lets me take few missiles up the tail pipe before I start loosing armor.

We agreed twice today EW, wow!
Yeah, it's scary isn't it?
smile.gif

What next? Maybe they will release Armada 2...oh yeah they cancelled that project.
frown.gif
Maybe they'll anounce POL?

The release you mean? Yeah that would be something.

Maybe istead of one hundred years after, it will take place 100 years before the T/K war.
smile.gif

Perhaps they will have bounty hunter character named Earthworm
wink.gif

Actualy I would prefer POL to be set right after Prophecy, or maybe 30 years before P2, and be somewhat of a prequal to The Darkening. If it's before P2, we could fly some of the familiar ships, it could explain how the Tri-systems were formed, and how they got in contact with Confed again (so then no one would say P2 isn't a WC game
smile.gif
). I would also want it to include Pilgrims, so no one would ever bring the fact that there are no Pilgrims in the games as one of the reasons for saying the movie sucks.

If it's right after Prophecy, I'd like to have some cameos from the WC characters (for exapmle, you could encounter Spyder while your on a mission). And it would be cool if you could land on the destroyed alien ships, and take some of those little alien fighters from there and make a small profit while at it
wink.gif
(you would of course have to buy some vacines, or protective suits so that alien virus wouldn't get you). We could fly around the Kilrathi space collecting the alien artifacts, or sign on for a mission with Confed and go exploring in the alien space through the wormhole in Proxima.
smile.gif

However, having it set before the war begun would be cool. We could see the ending of the Pilgrim war, and be there for the start of the Terran-Kilrathi war. There would be a nice 30 minute long cutscene, showing something like the WC movie intro talking about the war begining, and the we could see the Ison being destroyed.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited March 07, 2000).]

being on a dead alien ship wouldn't be cool, they most likely won't find a vaccine for you, especially for privateers.
smile.gif

seeing a kilrathi cap ship open fire with full guns would be unique to the earlier WC era ships, would it not?

------------------
A wingmen is essential; they give the enemy something else to shoot at.
A turret is essential; it gives you something else to shoot with.

Hmmm... I guess Earthworm's post explains the question of which smiley is next
smile.gif

Maybe they will replace the confused with a small pic of Maniac waking up. LOL

The question marks above the face are hard to see, maybe if they made the gray a little more white.

Death's Head said:
being on a dead alien ship wouldn't be cool, they most likely won't find a vaccine for you, especially for privateers.
smile.gif

Uh, but that's the cool part. The vacine would cost LOADS OF CREDITS. You would have to work for quite some time to be able to buy it, and it still would have to be on the black market. But then you could take the alien ships and sell them to some privateer, local militias, or pirates.
wink.gif
And finding the vacene doesen't have to be that hard, besides, like I said there could be some kind of a protective suit you could buy (also expensive, but unlike the vacene you could use it for a longer period of time).

seeing a kilrathi cap ship open fire with full guns would be unique to the earlier WC era ships, would it not?

Yeah, it would be cool to see a Fralthi open up with full bateries, all of them tracking your little fighter. If it was set before the war you could also work for Confed gathering inteligence and info on the Kilrathi.

Yeah see the laser turrets open up for a change
smile.gif

If a vaccine wasn't hard to find, how come the Confed military couldn't get one. They did find a treatment.

I doubt a suit would do you much good if the disease can eat hull armor-so maybe you can have the fun of getting into an iron maiden.

If a vaccine wasn't hard to find, how come the Confed military couldn't get one. They did find a treatment.

Don't forget that we only found out about that vacine in SO. There wasn't much time to develop a vacine. POL could be set few years after SO.

I doubt a suit would do you much good if the disease can eat hull armor-so maybe you can have the fun of getting into an iron maiden.
It can eat through armor? I don't recal seing that. It's just suposed to go inside the body, than a rash develops on the skin, and the disease *destroys* the flesh under that rash.

It wasn't a vaccine as far as I know, all they had was a treatment that I am aware of. Treatment may mean a cure but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a vaccine.

Vaccines are used to prevent a disease from making you sick-it takes time to work and if you are already infected, the disease may a be fatal by then.

The disease seems to be designed to deystroy the alien capships before an enemy can salvage the ship. When the ship's powerplant is shut down, the disease is born and it begins to eat the ship's armor/hull.

Death's Head said:
It wasn't a vaccine as far as I know, all they had was a treatment that I am aware of. Treatment may mean a cure but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a vaccine.

There was no vacine in SO, because they just found the disease. And SO takes place over a short period of time.

The treatment for the disease was injecting the entire rash, (or was that the entire body?) with some kind of needles, because the disease can move around the body, and that's the only way to kill it at this time.

Vaccines are used to prevent a disease from making you sick-it takes time to work and if you are already infected, the disease may a be fatal by then.

I know. That's why you would have to buy it before you go on the alien ship.
smile.gif

The disease seems to be designed to deystroy the alien capships before an enemy can salvage the ship. When the ship's powerplant is shut down, the disease is born and it begins to eat the ship's armor/hull.
Very true, however, the alien ships are living, bio, whatever thingys. We don't realy know if something that can eat through their armor could do anything to our armor. Though, wasn't the disease suposed to just keep someone from taking over the dead ship, and not to destroy it?

Uh... who said the "disease" was designed to keep poeople from taking over the dead ships? If you die, your body is also going to start decaying; is that also to keep people from taking over your corpse?
wink.gif

The bacteria/disease is probably not an alien weapon, but simply a part of their eco-system. A part that other organisms do not know how to deal with.

By the way, I don't think anybody would willingly touch Nephilem junk knowing about the "iron-maiden" treatment. In SO, people didn't know about the disease yet.

Better to deystroy it. I know I would if I could.

There's no way of knowing how much is left of the ship in the first place. If the reactor goes, then it will most likely blow most of the decks/caves(LOL) and parts of the hull, leaving little for the disease to eat once it spreads.

A gigen bacterial colony for intance takes time to spread. It starts as a few cells and multiplies. Once it reaches a certain point the multiplication rapidly spreads to much larger areas. In many cases the growth rate is exponential.

A few weeks or a couple months to consume an entire capship as large as the aliens' would make sense. Naturally we don't know the spread rate.

If we knew how long ago the survivors of Ana Maria Alberghetti touched the dead cap ship debris, that would help much, we don't even know that the two survivors originally touched the debris or it spread from other people who touched it. It could have spread through person-to-person or it could even be airborne for all we know!

As a Privateer you might be able to avoid infection with a suit. Zero seems to have been able to make it with just a flight suit.
The thing is isolating the debris until you can sell it on the black market.

Live long and prosper EW.
smile.gif

Back