Steam Controller Configs!

twotone8

Captain
Just played through Wing Commander 1-4 with the Steam Controller and had a great time. Almost as much fun configuring the thing as it was playing the games. Here's some configs if you want to give them a try. They might take some getting used to. The III and IV configurations are quite complex, but after playing each game with these configs, I can't imagine what I'd do without them. Try exploring around them a bit and see how they work.

General notes:
For Dosbox games, it's best to set output to opengl, so you get the graphical overlay.
Typically hold start to switch between mouse mode and cockpit mode.
Hold select to auto pilot

Wing Commander I
I used wcdx and this seemed to do the trick just fine.
steam://controllerconfig/wing%20commander/959271807

Wing Commander II
I used both wcdx and dos modes and they both seemed to work fine. You might need to tweek a few things here and there.
steam://controllerconfig/wing%20commander%20ii/1097909444

Wing Commander III & IV
I think I might have accidentally deleted my Wing Commander III config, which really sucks. The Wing Commander IV config was heavily based on it, so I assume It'll function for both, which is why I'm labeling them together. I've only tested it with WC3 for a few minutes, but I didn't notice any problems. Might require some futzing to get it perfect for both of them.

I highly recommend using the Kilrathi Saga version of WC3 as detailed here

Holding left grip allows the right pad to configure weapons and engines.
Holding the right grip allows the right pad to be used for communication

steam://controllerconfig/wing%20commander%20iv/1097914933

Wing Commander III
Here was my rough start. I've included it for archaeological purposes.
steam://controllerconfig/wing%20commander%20iii/1097898014

Wing Commander: Privateer
steam://controllerconfig/wing%20commander%20privateer/1116745408
Just finished Privateer with the controller. Great experience.

Privateer 2: The Darkening
steam://controllerconfig/privateer%202%20the%20darkening/1129525875

Wing Commander: Prophecy
steam://controllerconfig/wing%20commander%20prophecy/1179044280
WARNING: I couldn't, for the life of me, get the analog stick to register in this game. It's the only game in the series to have given me this type of trouble. Using the linked instructions, i was able to install Xoutput to emulate an installed joystick on a system level. Real pain in the butt, but it did the trick. Never got it to work with Secret Operations though. Xoutput https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamController/comments/4b8zdp/xoutput_for_uwp_games/

Last edited:
Back