Status of the WC Universe

Fallen Angel

Spaceman
Ok, I admit it. Lately, i've been so sick at the status of the gaming industry, I have dug out all of my Wing Commander games and started playing them again.

There's so much potential in this universe, why has production of WC games just stopped? I would love to see a strategy game of sorts based on the WC universe.

Are there any plans, projects, etc? Any new WC stuff coming out at all?

WC strategy game: Wing Commander Armada

New WC games: Wing Commander Prophecy for the Game Boy Advanced

Also, a Wing Commander TV show in the works.

we could do a mod to starcraft for WC.
all we need to do is get a modeler and model the main characters. that would kick ass.

Star Craft Mod

I'd love to see that mod come out, but something like that would require a hell of a lot of time. I for one don't have any spare time like that lying around... just bought a car... full time job.... insurance payments... the list goes on...

hehehe...I have LOTS of time....but no modding skills....

A WC ground combat mod would RULE though. There's lots of crazy stuff you could use, like those Kilrathi burrowing Tanks from WCATV and the Kilrathi tanks from WC3, and Kilrathi troops from WC1. Air units could easily be done as fighters, and maybe have a bigger support ship (corvette?) in place of the Terran Battlecruiser and such.

Status of WC Universe

I feel the same way. Alot of the games out there are crap. But the Wing Commander series have eternal re-play value. I pity the people on ebay who sell the WC games. In a year or two they'll realize that they shouldn't have sold them. The past couple of months I've just been playing Wing Commander. No doubt.... THE WING COMMANDER SERIES are the best games ever created and can't be surpassed by technological advances. LONG LIVE CHRIS ROBERTS AND WING COMMANDER. By the way Chris Roberts....Starlancer was great and Freelancer looks great also but what about a new WC game. You'll become the richest man in the world!!!!!!!

Re: Status of WC Universe

Originally posted by T8H3X11
Freelancer looks great also but what about a new WC game. You'll become the richest man in the world!!!!!!!

That is the problem with Freelancer...it looks, nothing more nobody knows how it feels to play, how the ship works in the space, etc....Freelancer is just a bunch of pics, nothing more
And about the richest man in the world, i don´t think so, but he will have many thanks from the people here

Re: Re: Status of WC Universe

Originally posted by Ghost

That is the problem with Freelancer...it looks, nothing more nobody knows how it feels to play, how the ship works in the space, etc....Freelancer is just a bunch of pics, nothing more
And about the richest man in the world, i don´t think so, but he will have many thanks from the people here

Wasn't there something about Freelancer where you control the ship with the mouse? That like...sucks hardcore...

Anyway, yeah good graphics don't make a good game....I can think of any number of games that looked spectacular but were horrid (Star Wars Force Commander, Empire Earth)

Yeah, that's their basic interface. Granted, you can use a joystick-which is obviously way better-but that's their basic method.

Although I've heard that playing with the mouse isn't as bad as you'd think-I can't see how it would be as good as a joystick.

Maybe playing it with mouse could be good , i don´t know, first i thought that was lame to drive a fighter with a mouse, but if it will be implemented in a good way...

From what I understand, you won't be able to actually pilot the ship yourself? But i'm probably waaaaaaaaaay off here. Anybody remember that awfull microsoft submarine game-thingie called deadly tide? Man, that sucked IMO. It had a similar interface I believe.

The ship would go different places and only let you pivot it around that point. It was cool for 2 minutes, but then it just plain sucked.

Personally I prefer to pilot with a mouse. This is partictularly good for WCP and WCSO. It allows incedible accuracy and range of movement. I own a joystick but I've never been able to get used to it.

If you do decide to use a mouse then it may be worth investing in an optical mouse as they tend to be more accurate. It may also be worth playing around with the mouse sensitivity setting to try and find something you're comfortable with.

That seems like it would make sense. Although if the ship didn't allow me to fly it myself, that would get rather annoying. But assuming it does, maybe the mouse wouldn't be so bad-although I still see myself tending towards a joystick until I see that the mouse is as good.

Originally posted by Talyn 83
From what I understand, you won't be able to actually pilot the ship yourself? But i'm probably waaaaaaaaaay off here.

Not quite. You have the option to let an autopilot steer the ship while you aim the gun turrets with the mouse. At any time, you can regain temporary steering control by pressing a key. There are HUD icons that let you give general directions to the autopilot - "follow that ship" "no, follow that other ship" "run away" - that sort of thing.

I've heard that joystick support is planned, but I don't know anybody who has tried to use a joystick with the game. The few people I know who played it at E3 did so using the mouse.

I think that Freelancer is intentionally designed to scale back the sim aspects and bring out more of the RPG and adventure game aspects of space opera. A space sim for people who have gotten bored or disenchanted with the hardcore approach of recent games such as Freespace or IWar.

Back