Starlancer or Privateer 2

More realisim? Why should pirates allow any hot shot pilots to land on their bases? They might as well be undercover CIS agents.

Why?!? To do business, of coarse. In P1 and RF you could allways turn a fast buck dealing with the bad guys. And why would they worry if you were CIS, There' only one of you and a base load of them.

[This message has been edited by Divco (edited May 20, 2000).]

Earthworm: Yes, the location is important. You see, I like the WC Universe. I'm not all that much of a space-sim fan, I'm a WC fan. So, when P2 had nothing but a lame FAQ note to suggest that it's in the WC Universe, that was indeed detrimental to the gameplay.
The sound effects in general were pretty good in P2, but the guns were far better in P1.
As for the civvies... in P1 they sound like real people. That's good enough for me.
The news articles.... oh yes. I agree wholeheartedly that they're original
smile.gif
. But I most certainly do consider them stupid, because they're just so bloody ridiculous. Just one example of this is that report from a sports game where everybody (including the audience) dies. You see, people will never think like that, no matter how many years in the future.
As for the "Wha?" bit... I can't remember if it was in the people section or the companies section, but it's there. Some rich guy who's 400-something (er... right...) years old thanks to brain transplants (he'd be a vegetable by then), and who has just recently purchased a space/time cruiser with an AI so powerful that it will not even take off if it predicts boredom and/or danger during the voyage. This, undoubtedly, was just another joke from the P2 team... but oh, a lamer joke I could never come up with.
I didn't say P1 has good AI... just better than P2
smile.gif
I didn't like the ship designs in P2. So sue me.
smile.gif

The dialogues were just as cheesy in P2, and the characters were just as shallow. But at least in P1, it was a WC plot
smile.gif
Uh... in case you haven't realised, Warthog didn't do all that much work on the FMV subplots. They just had to compress the video, and implement it in the game. I daresay that it wouldn't have been all that complicated... of course, scrapping the booth system also wouldn't have been complicated, but I guess they're just lazy
biggrin.gif
Oh, and did you notice all those grammar mistakes throughout P2? I didn't see a single one in P1.
The Flight engine: Yes, horrid. But you're right... it was smooth, and beatiful (a bit too dark for my taste, but still nice). What I hate about it is the bouncy shields (yes, I know. The same thing happens in WCP. But in WCP, capships don't have a vast spherical shield about them), the (lack of) cockpit, and the fact that the speed sync refused to work on my computer.

Oh, and Divco brought up an excellent point. Why couldn't you land on pirate bases? As I recall, the P2 ad said something about deciding which side of the law you cast your lot. Ooh, which reminds me. In P1, you could actually change the way people reacted to you. If you don't shoot at pirates, and shoot at militia, eventually the pirates will be friendly, while the militia engages on sight. That was not the case in P2, where nothing that you do seems to have any effect on people's attitude towards you.

Last edited by a moderator:
In response to yur original question, I would buy Priv 2 first. That way, after you finish it, SL will probably go down in price.

------------------
"I'm putting you back in the cockpit Colonel, where you will be reunited with an old friend, the thrill of battle!"
-Tolwyn to Blair WC IV

Quarto said:
Earthworm: Yes, the location is important. You see, I like the WC Universe. I'm not all that much of a space-sim fan, I'm a WC fan. So, when P2 had nothing but a lame FAQ note to suggest that it's in the WC Universe, that was indeed detrimental to the gameplay.
Do some of the Confed ships flying around in Priv enhance the gameplay for you? Both, Confed and Kilrathi have very little involvement in Priv.
As for the civvies... in P1 they sound like real people. That's good enough for me.
But who’s to say how real people will sound in the 28th century?
The news articles.... oh yes. I agree wholeheartedly that they're original
smile.gif
. But I most certainly do consider them stupid, because they're just so bloody ridiculous. Just one example of this is that report from a sports game where everybody (including the audience) dies. You see, people will never think like that, no matter how many years in the future.
There are many amazing things happening all over the WC universe. True, those articles are far more common, but not neccessarly the only *stupid* things.

As for the "Wha?" bit... I can't remember if it was in the people section or the companies section, but it's there. Some rich guy who's 400-something (er... right...) years old thanks to brain transplants (he'd be a vegetable by then), and who has just recently purchased a space/time cruiser with an AI so powerful that it will not even take off if it predicts boredom and/or danger during the voyage. This, undoubtedly, was just another joke from the P2 team... but oh, a lamer joke I could never come up with.
Why lame? It is funny, in a stupid way, but it is.
I didn't say P1 has good AI... just better than P2
smile.gif
I played Priv with a keyboard, and I’ve never played a space sim with a keyboard before, and I still found P2 more challenging while I played it with my SW PP.
smile.gif

I didn't like the ship designs in P2. So sue me.
smile.gif
As you wish…..
The dialogues were just as cheesy in P2, and the characters were just as shallow.
I couldn’t disagree more.
But at least in P1, it was a WC plot
smile.gif
But it doesn’t have practicly anything to do with the main WC games….

Oh, and did you notice all those grammar mistakes throughout P2? I didn't see a single one in P1.
Nope, never, but even if there are any, it’s not important.
The Flight engine: Yes, horrid. But you're right... it was smooth, and beatiful (a bit too dark for my taste, but still nice). What I hate about it is the bouncy shields (yes, I know. The same thing happens in WCP. But in WCP, capships don't have a vast spherical shield about them), the (lack of) cockpit, and the fact that the speed sync refused to work on my computer.
There are many games that won’t run on newer machines, P2 isn’t the first one.
smile.gif
And those bouncy shields seemed more realistic to me….

Yes, Confed ships fluttering about do enhance the game for me. But to say that the Killies and Confeds had very little involvement in P1 is a lie. As I recall, they were both quite vital. As enemies and as friends (well, the Kilrathi only as enemies). If you don't think they were involved much, then perhaps you should go play P1 again.
But who’s to say how real people will sound in the 28th century?
Grr... you say something like that again, and I'll smack you one. People DON'T change. The Pompei excavations have proven that the Romans were just like us. What makes you think the people of the 27/8th century will be any different? Of course, their voices will sound different (lingual shift, and all that), but they'll still act the same.

I didn't say the news articles were the only stupid thing in the WC universe, but they certainly are the stupidest. Except perhaps for some of Forstchen's slip-ups.
smile.gif

Why lame? It is funny, in a stupid way, but it is.
Hmm... obviously, you have a different sense of humour than I do.

I played Priv with a keyboard, and I’ve never played a space sim with a keyboard before, and I still found P2 more challenging while I played it with my SW PP.
Whoa... you think that the controls are the determining factor in a game's difficulty? I've tried Priv with a keyboard, a mouse, and a joystick. The mouse is my favourite, followed by the keyboard. Maybe I'm just inept, but I found the joystick next to impossible in Priv.
I couldn’t disagree more.
Yes, of course. Well, the Melissa Banks thing, for example, was far cheesier than anything P1 came up with.

The P1 plot may not have anything to do with the main WC plot, but it's set in the same time, and the same place.
Nope, never, but even if there are any, it’s not important.
<Sigh> Nope, I guess it isn't. Most people unfortunately just don't pay attention to such things any more. And yet, for some reason, when I see an "it's" instead of an "its" or vice versa, I feel quite irritated. We have a right to make mistakes. They don't. Because we pay for their products, and have every right to expect quality for our money.

The bouncy shields... they don't seem realistic to me. But either way, they're just plain annoying. Especially with the shuttles.

Quarto said:
Yes, Confed ships fluttering about do enhance the game for me. But to say that the Killies and Confeds had very little involvement in P1 is a lie. As I recall, they were both quite vital. As enemies and as friends (well, the Kilrathi only as enemies). If you don't think they were involved much, then perhaps you should go play P1 again.
Confed has probably the least involvement of the two. There’s the Admiral that hires you to hunt down the Steltek drone, and his assistant, but that’s about it.
Grr... you say something like that again, and I'll smack you one. People DON'T change. The Pompei excavations have proven that the Romans were just like us. What makes you think the people of the 27/8th century will be any different? Of course, their voices will sound different (lingual shift, and all that), but they'll still act the same.
Human behavior is determined by what’s going on around them, if there’s even one that changes others can follow….

Hmm... obviously, you have a different sense of humour than I do.
Yeah, I bet I do. For example, I laugh every time I see your posts.
smile.gif

Whoa... you think that the controls are the determining factor in a game's difficulty? I've tried Priv with a keyboard, a mouse, and a joystick. The mouse is my favourite, followed by the keyboard. Maybe I'm just inept, but I found the joystick next to impossible in Priv.
You miss my point. I said it was harder for me to play P2 with a stick, than Priv with a mouse. Which is rather strange since I never used a keyboard for space sims, and I’m not planing on using it in any other sims ever again.
Yes, of course. Well, the Melissa Banks thing, for example, was far cheesier than anything P1 came up with.
Why exactly would that be?

The P1 plot may not have anything to do with the main WC plot, but it's set in the same time, and the same place.
Weren’t you the one that was arguing some time ago that the TK war is still going on in RF, even though it’s supposed to be set in 2670? Weren’t you the one who disimised my claims that it just could be Kilrathi warlords?
smile.gif
Besides, I know that Priv is not set in the same universe, since there’s no Gemini system in Priv, whilre there should be one.
<Sigh> Nope, I guess it isn't. Most people unfortunately just don't pay attention to such things any more. And yet, for some reason, when I see an "it's" instead of an "its" or vice versa, I feel quite irritated. We have a right to make mistakes. They don't. Because we pay for their products, and have every right to expect quality for our money.
But those mistakes are irrelevant. I see spelling mistakes everywhere, and most of my teachers don’t even care about them (with the exception of English teachers of course).

[QUOTE}The bouncy shields... they don't seem realistic to me. But either way, they're just plain annoying. Especially with the shuttles.[/QUOTE]The do to me though. We see a drastic improvement in shield tech over the main WC’s. Untill we arrive at Prophecy where you don’t get any damage when you ram something. Well, since P2 is set far in the future I’d expect the shields to react in a similar way.

All I have to say is that the sequals usually are worse than the original, in movies book and games, the first is usually the best. There are some cases where this is not ture though so please dont bite my head off...

Earthworm:
Confed has plently of involvement. Have you forgotten that huge part of the RF plot when you fly for Confed? Have you perhaps forgotten that part in Priv where you fly for the Confed Exploratory Service?
Just because there were only tw... er... no, you're wrong - four characters working for Confed doesn't mean that Confed wasn't involved.
Human behavior is determined by what’s going on around them, if there’s even one that changes others can follow….
You just don't get it. Get back to me when you see a difference between real change and superficial change. Better still, go read a history book.
Yeah, I bet I do. For example, I laugh every time I see your posts.
smile.gif
Heh... that's not because of your sense of humour... that's because of your lack of maturity
biggrin.gif
You miss my point. I said it was harder for me to play P2 with a stick, than Priv with a mouse. Which is rather strange since I never used a keyboard for space sims, and I’m not planing on using it in any other sims ever again.
Of course it was. That's my point exactly. Joysticks suck.
smile.gif

As for Melissa Banks... well, why don't you go and save a woman's life, and see if she'll have sex with you on the spot.
smile.gif

And if,
"Is that legal?"
"Legal? It's not even physically possible..."
If that isn't cheesy, then I don't know what is.
Weren’t you the one that was arguing some time ago that the TK war is still going on in RF, even though it’s supposed to be set in 2670? Weren’t you the one who disimised my claims that it just could be Kilrathi warlords?
smile.gif
Besides, I know that Priv is not set in the same universe, since there’s no Gemini system in Priv, whilre there should be one.
[Maestro]You're sooo funny. I think I'm gonna spit my bones out.[/Maestro]
I never said that RF wasn't a part of the WC universe though, now did I? If the mistake in a single line of text invalidates a WC product, than I'm afraid the Movie isn't a part of the WC universe. And if a single system was to invalidate a WC product, then I'm afraid ALL the WC books are automatically done for, since they include Landreich and several other places that don't exist. To make things worse, WC2 is also eliminated, since I've never seen the Fiddler's Green system anywhere on a map.
But wait! There's more! In WC3, Blair jumped straight from Freya to Kilrah, whereas he should have jumped from Freya to H'rissith first. So... WC3 never happpened either. And guess what? There's several systems in the Vega Sector that never appeared on the map that came with WC1. So, WC1 never happened. Which means that the WC Universe isn't set in the WC Universe... hmm....

Next time you feel like coming up with a sarcastic argument, Earthworm (yes, I know you weren't serious), use your brain first.
But those mistakes are irrelevant. I see spelling mistakes everywhere, and most of my teachers don’t even care about them (with the exception of English teachers of course).
Oh yes, that "new generation" "why bother with spelling when you know what I mean anyway" issue. It's one of those idiotic things that happen every once in a while when some fool decides that something is no longer relevant at school. I dread the day when teachers decide that maths doesn't matter any more, since everyone has calculators anyway. Well, fortunately, all the lecturers at this university do give a damn about spelling.
The do to me though. We see a drastic improvement in shield tech over the main WC’s. Untill we arrive at Prophecy where you don’t get any damage when you ram something. Well, since P2 is set far in the future I’d expect the shields to react in a similar way.
Why? P2 people have no contact with the Confederation, remember?
But no. I don't want to start THAT debate up all over again.

"But those mistakes are irrelevant. I see spelling mistakes everywhere, and most of my teachers don’t even care about them (with the exception of English teachers of course)."
Sounds like High School to me. In most colleges it is gernerally excepted that frequent spelling errors are one of those pesky little things left behind.

"As for Melissa Banks... well, why don't you go and save a woman's life, and see if she'll have sex with you on the spot."

This is almost as believable as where Bear has every other woman on the Tarawa lusting after him.
smile.gif

Oh good, then it's not just my university
smile.gif

Err... that was about DH's first post, not the second...

[This message has been edited by Quarto (edited May 24, 2000).]

Ah forget it, it's not worth to argue about this.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited May 24, 2000).]

Quite right, since neither of us could persuade the other. So, we might as well agree to disagree.
smile.gif

Or..... I'll somehow get your passwoard, post uder your name and agree with me, and than go down to Auastralia and kill you!!!! Mwuahahahahahahah!

But that would be just mean.
smile.gif

BTW, did you get SL yet? I have some good news, SL appears to be using the Privateer 2 engine.
smile.gif
I bet that made your day.

Heh... I couldn't care less
smile.gif
I went to the computer store, and there it was. I thought "hmm... buybuybuybuy!"
Then I took a closer look at the box. The sign "From Chris and Erin Roberts, the creators of Wing Commander" made me sick. It's as if their whole marketing strategy relied on slapping the Roberts' name on the box... oh, yeah, it does
smile.gif
So, I went and bought some StarCraft stuff instead. SL can wait until it goes down in price. It's not worth it right now.

Back