Star Wars Viewers: Explain This?

Mjr. Whoopass

<FONT color=lightblue><B>I was going to say someth
I just read some convincing arguments that the Rebel destruction of the second Death Star may have actually caused a holocaust of life on the forest moon of Endor. Is there justification for the party with the Ewoks after the Death Star II explodes? Here's the arguments:
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html

If we assumed our laws of Canon applied to star wars. Then wouldn't it be a logical assumption that if George Lucas(TM) wrote in an ewok party that that is what stands as Canon and everything else is just fan ideas outside the logic of what is written? In other words, the idea is fun because I hate ewoks, but George Lucas(TM) never wrote that so it remains a dream.

-Rance-

What was interesting to me was not any of the arguments about "canon" but rather showing that the laws of physics suggest the explosion of the Death Star II should destroy life on the moon of Endor. I had never realized this before. There's a certain irony that the Rebels are really the "bad guys" when you look at this battle as an isolated incident. I found it ironically interesting when the author pointed out:
All ewoks would have been better off if the tribe which made contact with the rebels continued with their original plan of killing and eating the commando team's leaders.

Well, it is an intresting argument. If you ever get the chance, read Dark Force Risng by Timothy Zahn. He alludes to this kind of thing in his book. A space battle leads to disaster for this planet and the empire is able to enslave an entire race of people based on it. The argument that the ewoks may have been better of is ok if you scale it down to just the ewoks needs, but figure in the fact that alot of worlds are counting on the destruction of the death star. So in the end regaurdless of the outcome on the small scale the larger scale is protected. These are the decisions that war forces us to make.

The fact that whomever did this took the time and energy to take a look at all of this is amazing and should be commended. However, as I have said if you look at it from the larger scale it was "necessary."

-Rance-

It's not a serious critique of Star Wars - it's a joke. It's the sort of thing the internet was full of ten+ years ago when all we ever talked about was particle physics and Star Trek. The joke is in how serious he's taken this one element of a fantasy... he didn't sit down and decide he was going to deconstruct the Endor scene specifically for the sake of proving that a fairy tale can't be real.

Unfortunately, there's now ten million SpaceBattles users out there who think that this is *exactly* the sort of way to intelligently debate things related to Star Wars and its ilk.

Re: things going boom near planets, that's one thing that few if any space fantasies ever observe - and I thought those essays were all the cooler for it.

And, as far as the Empire enslaving a race courtesy of a space-battle-related disaster, that didn't come across as enslaving. Rather, it was an excellent bit of politicking by Vader that resulted in a 100% willing vassal race who hero-worshipped the man-machine and his kin.

The explanation is that this is star wars. The guys who made EPII mock the realism of it on the commentary track. They don't care.

Leh Hah the purist....
Anyways, SW is primarely a fantasy universe... the ships and blasters are just props, the concept, ideas and values of SW are more Fantasy directed than pure Sci-Fi. They could have made exactly the same 3 original movies with a cloak and dagger setting. So, stuff like "endor should have been destroyed by the blast" is just stupid. SW never strived for any form o realism whatsoever... if it did, i'm sure that people wouldn't leave all those bottomless chasms lying around EVERYWHERE.

Every Sci Fi show/movie that has ever been made and likely ever will be made has done something completely unrealistic. Some mistakes are bigger than others. Your question assumes that we want to justify the answer but the truth is: we don't. We enjoy SW for what it is and not much else. I don't study SW for lessons in practical physics.

Edfilho said:
SW never strived for any form o realism whatsoever... if it did, i'm sure that people wouldn't leave all those bottomless chasms lying around EVERYWHERE.

Evil overlord list: #87: My vats of hazardous chemicals will be covered when not in use. Also, I will not construct walkways above them.

Not quite the same as a bottomless chasm, such as what killed the emporer in ep 6, but kinda close.

Talking about starwars, the newspaper reported of a british SW fan,
in full darth vader costume, was speeding on the highway, and identified
himself to the police as "Darth Vader, dark lord of the sith" when he was
apprehanded.

talk about fanatics.

Gliderboy said:
Except Episode I :D

I could tell you what happened in Episode I - that it had a linear, point-to-point plot that was logically discernable. Episode II was someone throwing a script onto the floor and picking up pages out of order.

Still a sweet film in my opinion. Perhaps it might be one of those things like "The Empire Strikes Back" when that came out there was a lot of confusion about what was going on...things came together pretty well in Return of the Jedi.

Back