Star Wars Trailer

Bandit LOAF said:
I want to see more Yoda acting zany in a lightsaber battle like I want a Wing Commander Freespace mod.

I'll drink to that. Theres something really stupid about Yoda having a lightsaber, let alone jumping around like a drug addict on crystal meth after watching an episode of Power Rangers.

Darklightr said:
MOVIE SPOILER!

Obi-Wan and Anakin are fighting near a large pool of lava when Anakin gets shoved in. Obi-Wan leaves him for dead. Anakin obviously doesn't die, but the extent of his injuries require him to wear a suit with a mechanical breathing apparatus--thus the black suit that is synonymous with Darth Vader.

Thats about as big a movie spoiler as going to see the Boat Movie with Leo and Kate and Admiral Tolwyn but omg the ship sinks! Oh nohs!!1!one!

Mjr. Whoopass said:
I'm looking forward to the space battles that the preview showed. I hope these have a more Ep. 4 + 6 size chunk of the movie than an Ep. 1 sized spot. The action looks great as you watch the preview- but if you slow it down or stop it while watching the internet trailer, the graphics look terrible- the two capships look like a couple cardboard cutouts. Hopefully those graphics will look fine when the film is showed in realtime. There also seems to be some mention of Anakin's skills as a fighter pilot- so hopefully we'll get to see some good WC-ish fighter combat.

The opening scene is going to be a massive space battle, but it will not give a panoramic view of the whole battle. Most of the battle footage we will see will be from inside Anakin's and Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter, so yes, we will see Anakin's piloting skill to some extent

Ghost said:
I want too know how and when Palpatine's face changed from ''good old man'' to '' Slimey'' from Ghostbusters.

the time period between episode 3 and episode 4 is 19 years, then another 4 years from then to Return of the Jedi. Considering how old Palpatine is now (my guess is 50 or 60), that explains how horrbile he looks in the later movies.

Ghost refers to Palpatine's face - which if you've seen the trailer - changes from Ian McDiarmid to the pud-faced Emperor.

I also think your timeline might be askewed, slightly.

No, the timeline is correct, I know that for a fact. My guess is that Palpatine's face changes because he finally allows everyone to see the REAL him. As powerful as he is in the force, it would be no problem to keep up an illusion such as that. His real strength lies in manipulation, which is obvious by the fact that he caused the Republic to become the Empire, so maybe his body was corrupted by the dark side a long time ago and only now has he revealed himself. Or it could simply be a metaphor. George Lucas wants to present the fact that Palpatine is showing his true side, personified by his face becoming the one we all know, the face of the Emperor.

Ah, you're right for most of it - but there hasn't been an update to the offical Star Wars timeline as to the time between Episode 3 and 4 yet.

Well there has to be time for Luke to grow up :) I think we can get a reasonable lower bound of 16 years between 3 and 4 out of that.

Oh, anyone have a mirror for that? It's proving difficult to google for permutations of ep 3 new trailer download

It is 19 years. Luke and Leia are born before the end of ep 3 and in ep 4, Luke is 19. That leaves 19 years between ep 3 and ep 4. Plus if you look in the front of any NJO book, it shows the timeline. The NJO books are official too.

Yes they do. look in the front pages, before the actual story, they give a timeline. The Unifying Force and even Vector Prime say 19 years before Battle of Yavin: Star Wars Episode III.

Sarty said:
No, the timeline is correct, I know that for a fact. My guess is that Palpatine's face changes because he finally allows everyone to see the REAL him. As powerful as he is in the force, it would be no problem to keep up an illusion such as that. His real strength lies in manipulation, which is obvious by the fact that he caused the Republic to become the Empire, so maybe his body was corrupted by the dark side a long time ago and only now has he revealed himself. Or it could simply be a metaphor. George Lucas wants to present the fact that Palpatine is showing his true side, personified by his face becoming the one we all know, the face of the Emperor.

I thought there was something about the Dark Side physicaly corupting a persons body as well, not just their mind. The more a person relies on it and the longer, the more toll it takes...

As far as time between ep 3 and 4... unless luke and leia are born years before the movie starts then there has to be about 17-20 years between... The novelization comes out next month.

Sarty said:
It is 19 years. Luke and Leia are born before the end of ep 3 and in ep 4, Luke is 19. That leaves 19 years between ep 3 and ep 4. Plus if you look in the front of any NJO book, it shows the timeline. The NJO books are official too.

I'm glad someone brought up canon early enough because this way we can solve this arguement in one fell swoop. The only things canon in Star Wars are the movies, the movie novelizations and the radio dramas.

Lucasfilm LTD Continuity and Production Editors - Star Wars Insider #23 said:
'Gospel,' or canon as we refer to it, includes the screenplays, the films, the radio dramas and the novelisations. These works spin out of George Lucas' original stories, the rest are written by other writers. However, between us, we've read everything, and much of it is taken into account in the overall continuity. The entire catalog of published works comprises a vast history -- with many off-shoots, variations and tangents -- like any other well-developed mythology.

Therefore the films and their adaptations are canon, meaning that they take precedence in essentially all matters. Any other form of unfilmed STAR WARS fiction may be official, meaning that it is subordinate to canon and is required to be consistent with other official works. Issues relating to these secondary sources are described below. Works which do not have the blessing of Lucasfilm Ltd (which is not the same entity as LucasArts) are unofficial and cannot be given consideration.

The only thing that has any say in SW is, quite simply, the movies. Not the Thrawn Trilogy, not NJO, not Dark Forces or some card game. No EU, no Star's End, no West End Games. Sorry folks.

(Oh, and I'm pretty sure Luke was twenty by ANH. It says so in the novelization - which is canon, as I pointed out above.)

LeHah said:
The only thing that has any say in SW is, quite simply, the movies. Not the Thrawn Trilogy, not NJO, not Dark Forces or some card game. No EU, no Star's End, no West End Games. Sorry folks.
Yet, if we take this definition at face value, the Star Wars Christmas Special (and the Ewok movies) is canon, by virtue of being a film... :p

Anyone have a link to the trailer that is working? I know that I should just give up after the last two films, but I'm the eternal optimist.

I can't wait to see the fight sequence between Anakin and Obi-Wan, as on the trailer it looks so deep, menacing and cool.

Yep, can't wait - that's me all over!

AD said:
:D Maybe you've seen this already but check out http://www.sequentialpictures.com/moviestarwarsepisode3.html for a laugh or two... It's not riotous but there's a couple of really good moments...
I agree- there's a few funny moments there, thanks AD, I got a kick out of that. If you like that, you'll probably also enjoy "Hardware Wars". I'm not sure if you can download it anywhere, but you can see info at http://www.mwp.com/films/hardware-wars/. It's very short though, so I would think twice about paying $15 for it- some friends and I rented at Blockbuster- we all enjoyed it, but once is probably enough.

Back