star wars rogue one teaser trailer

Well, the trailer looks ok (although I'm starting to wonder if there's some unwritten new rule banning Star Wars leads from being male), but....

I'd say that IF the lead characters are, or are based on the characters from dark forces, they are doing a good job, since they would be bringing in the story from the point of view from Jan Ors(I have yet to see a confirmation of the real spelling of her name, but I'm prette sure "Jyne Ersoa" would be to lame of a pun), which gives it a nice edge, more then one of us played as Kyle Katarn, where Jan was the damsel in distress and more then once your savior, viewing it from her point of view would be fresh. Seeing someone bringing Kyle to the big screen, would be awesome. A warsie friend of mine also said the military man in white is likely Thrawn. They did get the marketing done, since the internet is now buzzing over things regarding the movie. And the Expanded Universe does need a proper sendoff.

And as for the female lead roles, they can overexaggerate, but a female lead (in stereotype) makes the movie more accessible for girls. It also happens in other sci-fi, to the point where somebody shouts "female lead!!" and people tend to follow(Dr. Who is one of the worst communities, since the possibility exists of genderswapping and has been confirmed more then once, a few brave fanatics are pretty much demanding a female doctor, mostly pointing to theirselves as to why it should happen, comment on them and the reply will be "transphobic bigotry"). People also want a female James Bond, and a female Indiana Jones now(I never heard anyone ask for a male Lara Croft though...)

is nobody going to mention that those black armored stormtroopers really, really look like dark troopers. repeating blaster and rocket fights anyone?

I see this all over social media right now, and I don't understand it at all! It's like people who pay insane amounts to clone their beloved pets... why would it be in any way satisfying? Kyle Katarn is interesting because of his stories and who he was in the Legends contintuity... bringing him to a completely new story just for the sake of recognizing his name seems like shallow lip service.

It's the same way throughout. People are going nuts about Thrawn coming to Rebels next season and I'm just... why would I care? He's a random blue guy in a background costume from A New Hope when you don't have the establishing context of Heir to the Empire. It's like otherwise sane people are begging for Seth MacFarlane-style writing: 'this is great because he said a thing that I recognize what it is!'

Let Legends be Legends. Take from it freely and happily when there's something that'll drive a story or improve the world... but don't rely on it as some crutch, or some shorthand way to get street cred from longtime fans... let the new thing be its own world.

(That all said, I would LOVE a Tales from... style story that revisits all these deleted heroes in whatever form they have in the new continuity. That says IF Kyle Katarn isn't the guy stealing the Death Star plans, who is he and how is he different? And just do that for all the Luke standins and the various beloved Mary Sues from the 1990s. But I think it needs to be a focused project rather than having old EU material as spices to entrance crotchety fans with unrelated stories.)

I think I've substantiated my feelings on Disney's use of Star Wars enough to bore most anyone, so I won't detail it again - but I will say that the whole "this is the REAL story of what happened" slant really irks me. A lot of franchises go for that like the last two Spider-Man films or Mad Max or (kinda sorta) the Abrams Trek films.

I want something that pulls me in but not at the expense of something else. And while I get that a video game shouldn't stop a story from being told, well, Episode VII didn't exactly instill anything but contempt in me. ;)

(There's also a major problem with Star Wars: the franchise is inhabiting a perpetually smaller and smaller universe. This is why they had to discard the EU, obviously - and I was almost happy to see it go - but to restart it as simply EU 2.0 to make a buck is what made me step away from the franchise.)

is nobody going to mention that those black armored stormtroopers really, really look like dark troopers. repeating blaster and rocket fights anyone?
Everybody already did on the rest of the internet. Google "rogue one dark forces"

The second "Jan Ors" said her name, and the guy in brown looked up from the side of the screen... All we are missing now is the "Moldy crow".

As far as the main series goes I tend to agree, but in a spin-off about WW2 spies doing WW2 spy stuff in space? Sure, why not, might as well give it a go.
Well, sure, why not? I mean, if a Christmas-themed Star Wars movie worked, then I'm sure this can't be any worse.

(that's no sarcasm, of course - it definitely can't be any worse than that :) )

And as for the female lead roles, they can overexaggerate, but a female lead (in stereotype) makes the movie more accessible for girls. It also happens in other sci-fi, to the point where somebody shouts "female lead!!" and people tend to follow(Dr. Who is one of the worst communities, since the possibility exists of genderswapping and has been confirmed more then once, a few brave fanatics are pretty much demanding a female doctor, mostly pointing to theirselves as to why it should happen, comment on them and the reply will be "transphobic bigotry"). People also want a female James Bond, and a female Indiana Jones now(I never heard anyone ask for a male Lara Croft though...)
Oh, look, I get that that's the prevailing attitude these days. And I get that Disney is precisely the kind of company that's going to pander to these kinds of attitudes to look progressive and all that. It's still really annoying, particularly because these characters are so annoyingly cookie-cutter. What's the difference between this new girl and the Episode VII girl? Rebellious? Check. Tough? Check. No-nonsense? Check. Capable? Check. Smart? Check. For that matter, what's the difference between her, and what's-her-name from the Hunger Games series? Is this the only female character people can come up with?

Well, sure, why not? I mean, if a Christmas-themed Star Wars movie worked, then I'm sure this can't be any worse.

(that's no sarcasm, of course - it definitely can't be any worse than that :) )

Oh, look, I get that that's the prevailing attitude these days. And I get that Disney is precisely the kind of company that's going to pander to these kinds of attitudes to look progressive and all that. It's still really annoying, particularly because these characters are so annoyingly cookie-cutter. What's the difference between this new girl and the Episode VII girl? Rebellious? Check. Tough? Check. No-nonsense? Check. Capable? Check. Smart? Check. For that matter, what's the difference between her, and what's-her-name from the Hunger Games series? Is this the only female character people can come up with?

thats always been the archetype for most heroes of any movie, the only reason it is a problem is bc it is a girl. if the main character was a man no one would bat an eye at all.

whats the difference between han solo, indiana jones, and john McClain from die hard, not a whole hell of a lot they all have the same character traits. by the way though I dont see how rey was rebellious in episode 7, half the movie all she wanted to do is go back home to jakku and wait for her family. In fact this new character seems a lot darker than rey and is completely different other than they both have vaginas, but some dont see it bc aww shucks its a girl

The trailer was good - not as good as the trailer for Ep. VII but good nonetheless.

But I had the same impression as AD:

I don't know why, but I was under the impression before hand that Rogue One was supposed to be an ensemble cast about a team that goes on a mission to steal the plans... Maybe I had the wrong idea, but I still think it's entirely possible that there will be several teasers focusing on the different characters on the team.

Seeing that they once again go for a new, young, rebellious, wisecracking lone wolf as main character was a bit of disappointment for me. (But I also thought the movie was called "Rogue squadron" not "Rogue One"...)

while I think felicity jones' character will be overall the main protagonist im not sure it wont be an ensemble piece, im willing to bet forrest whittaker and donnie yen will each have a good size role.

here is the first official picture that was released about a yr ago and most of these characters were featured to some extent in the trailer except for the guy with the goggles on his head
rogue-one.jpg

It's also because when it was first press released the media was calling it 'ocean's eleven in space' which screams ensemble. the reality might be more like the italian job.

thats always been the archetype for most heroes of any movie, the only reason it is a problem is bc it is a girl. if the main character was a man no one would bat an eye at all.

whats the difference between han solo, indiana jones, and john McClain from die hard, not a whole hell of a lot they all have the same character traits. by the way though I dont see how rey was rebellious in episode 7, half the movie all she wanted to do is go back home to jakku and wait for her family. In fact this new character seems a lot darker than rey and is completely different other than they both have vaginas, but some dont see it bc aww shucks its a girl
Oh, ok. Well, initially I had some doubts about your logic, but ultimately your use of the word "vagina" as an argument is so powerful, I guess that basically ends the discussion, right?

With that out of the way, let's get back to reality, and try actual real logic.

First up, there are different archetypes and different kinds of heroes out there, and the one you mention is actually rather uncommon. A great many heroes follow the archetype presented... ahem... by Star Wars. Which is the Luke Skywalker archetype - a young person, male or female, who is reaching adulthood, and finds himself - or herself - propelled into a series of events that require him or her to prove worthy. The Hero's Journey narrative structure that so often appears in films is particularly appropriate for coming-of-age stories. And it is precisely this kind of story that Star Wars has always been.

What is the difference between Rey and Han Solo? Well, the difference is that Rey is the Luke Skywalker of Episode VII, whereas Han Solo was, uh, the Han Solo. Now, how does Rey compare to Luke? It's a very interesting comparison to make, and certainly at the end of the day, the results are exceedingly unfavourable for Luke. He was hardly a cool character until almost the end of the film - and that was precisely the point, because a character, in order to grow, needs to start off in a place where they have room to grow. Rey isn't given that opportunity. She is presented, right from the start, as being absolutely awesome at everything, so that nobody for one instant could have any doubt that she's a great hero. It's almost as if the screenwriters didn't think a normal teenage woman would be appropriate for a lead character, in the same way that normal, teenage Luke was appropriate. If I were a feminist, I'd probably launch into a rant accusing the (male, naturally) writers of being secretly sexist, of saying that women cannot become heroes unless they are made into heroes by the (male, naturally) writers.

But all that having been said, I didn't actually complain about Episode VII, because - hey, sure, there's Indiana Jones, there's John McClane, there's Lara Croft, there's James Bond, and undoubtedly a whole bunch of others, who are lead characters that don't go through that kind of journey Luke went through. And that's fine - I mean, I might find James Bond films obnoxious for that exact reason, but I utterly love Indiana Jones, so why not? The reason I'm bringing this up now, specifically, is not because of Rey. It's because Rey has been followed through with another female lead who so far seems to be just like Rey, not in terms of their past stories and all that, but in terms of being this same kind of self-sufficient action hero character. And so I find myself asking - is that actually the best the writers can do? Are they afraid to explore other character types? Or is it just that they wouldn't score brownie points with the progressive crowd if they had a female character who doesn't start off as "strong, self-sufficient, tough, capable" from page one of the script? Just for the record, though, ironically this kind of self-sufficient hard-ass hero is of course exactly the archetype you want for a spinoff movie like Rogue One, so it's not a case of the new character being somehow wrong, but rather a case of the unintended ridiculousness of identical characters one after the other.

And as for the female lead roles, they can overexaggerate, but a female lead (in stereotype) makes the movie more accessible for girls. It also happens in other sci-fi, to the point where somebody shouts "female lead!!" and people tend to follow

I don't really care one way or another about the gender of the main character. It seems like a silly thing to complain about. The thing that makes it stand out at all is that it's coming on the heels of Episode seven. So this make it feel more like a marketing decision to me to have the first teaser focus (provided that I'm correct on it being more of an ensemble cast) on the woman in the company because of how much everyone liked Rey in The Force Awakens.

It is silly to complain about the gender. Also in episode 7 i would call rey and fin co lead characters. So what's to complain about? You got both a male and female protagonist. Also, rey was amazing so what's the deal?

It is silly to complain about the gender. Also in episode 7 i would call rey and fin co lead characters. So what's to complain about? You got both a male and female protagonist. Also, rey was amazing so what's the deal?

The deal is - if I understand Quarto correctly -is that it is more of the same.

The deal is - if I understand Quarto correctly -is that it is more of the same.
Thank you. I was starting to think maybe I had lost the ability to speak English, or something :). Though, to be fair, I did start off by pointing out only the fact that both characters were female, and only later did I go into the detail of what I mean by "cookie cutter characters" and all that.

It's just that when I see two characters like this in a row - and even if this new character is not like that, the trailer certainly tries hard to make them into a Rey clone - I have a hard time of seeing any positive motivations behind this. It feels like a cold, exploitative market-based decision - "hey, strong female characters are really hot right now, and Rey worked out so well, let's shove another one in there and see how we go!"

Well, the trailer looks ok (although I'm starting to wonder if there's some unwritten new rule banning Star Wars leads from being male), but...

We have a sample of 8 Star Wars movies to date. 6 have had male leads. To bring gender parity to the force, they would still need to lead another 4 with women.
Even if they did choose the leads at random, they would have a 25% chance of choosing two women in successive films. It's not an astronomically unlikely event.
Now, how does Rey compare to Luke? It's a very interesting comparison to make, and certainly at the end of the day, the results are exceedingly unfavourable for Luke. He was hardly a cool character until almost the end of the film - and that was precisely the point, because a character, in order to grow, needs to start off in a place where they have room to grow. Rey isn't given that opportunity. She is presented, right from the start, as being absolutely awesome at everything, so that nobody for one instant could have any doubt that she's a great hero. It's almost as if the screenwriters didn't think a normal teenage woman would be appropriate for a lead character, in the same way that normal, teenage Luke was appropriate.

We must have seen different movies. Rey fails in many places - on Jakku, aboard Han's freighter and on Takodana. She doesn't fail for long, except when captured by Kylo Ren. Luke and Anakin don't fail for long either - the Star Wars movies are paced too quickly to let characters fail at stuff that would slow down the movie. They also often fail into things - like Luke escaping into a trash compactor aboard the Death Star, or Rey accidentally opening doors on Han's freighter when she meant to close them.

I don't really care one way or another about the gender of the main character. It seems like a silly thing to complain about. The thing that makes it stand out at all is that it's coming on the heels of Episode seven. So this make it feel more like a marketing decision to me to have the first teaser focus (provided that I'm correct on it being more of an ensemble cast) on the woman in the company because of how much everyone liked Rey in The Force Awakens.

So gender doesn't matter... until there are two women in succession, then it matters immensely.

People also seem able to assess a remarkable amount of Jyn Erso's character considering that she speaks a total of 11 words in this trailer. What is revealed doesn't seem to have much in common with Rey. There is the lack of parental figures, but that goes for most protagonists in action films - it's the easiest way to explain why their parents aren't keeping them from wandering into the middle of a war zone.

The final scene is probably just a fake-out, given the dialog, but I'm hoping that she defects to the Empire and re-enacts the best parts of the TIE Fighter series instead.

As for what they're doing with the Extended Universe, I'm in favor of it. I've enjoyed most EU media I've encountered, but it was getting very crowded. In particular, declaring that Luke's Jedi Academy failed has improved it no end. It does represent some cluelessness on the part of both Luke and the New Republic, but it's great for storytelling. It means that Jedi (and Sith to counter them) will remain rare and mythic figures. More importantly, those that do arise will be muddling along, each with a random assortment of poorly-understood force powers, hurled into situations they have never been trained for. (Jedi Knight had Morgan Katarn taking immense risks hiding Qu Rahn's lightsaber and the map, hoping that Kyle Katarn would find both and not cut any of his own limbs off teaching himself to use the saber. In a Star Wars Universe without Luke's academy, the Jedi Knight story fits much more easily. However, I'm still not expecting it to be repeated. If they do decide to include a character named "Kyle Katarn," I expect to see how his story went if he never gains force powers. Maybe he becomes the most feared mercenary in the galaxy, maybe he just settles down to herd nerfs.)

Thank you. I was starting to think maybe I had lost the ability to speak English, or something :). Though, to be fair, I did start off by pointing out only the fact that both characters were female, and only later did I go into the detail of what I mean by "cookie cutter characters" and all that.

It's just that when I see two characters like this in a row - and even if this new character is not like that, the trailer certainly tries hard to make them into a Rey clone - I have a hard time of seeing any positive motivations behind this. It feels like a cold, exploitative market-based decision - "hey, strong female characters are really hot right now, and Rey worked out so well, let's shove another one in there and see how we go!"
and I see no similarities so far between rey and the new girl other than they are both women in lead roles

rey- is a stereotypical hero like luke or superman or frodo aka the hero journey, or many other typical heroes found in literature. she is pretty virtuous and squeaky clean.

the new girl is being played more in the vein of the anti hero like a han solo or a john McClaine, aka a girl who is not squeeky clean but ultimately probably does the right thing in the end but does not come out smelling like roses. both are stereotypical archetypes in fiction but not of each other

Oh, ok. Well, initially I had some doubts about your logic, but ultimately your use of the word "vagina" as an argument is so powerful, I guess that basically ends the discussion, right?

With that out of the way, let's get back to reality, and try actual real logic.

First up, there are different archetypes and different kinds of heroes out there, and the one you mention is actually rather uncommon. A great many heroes follow the archetype presented... ahem... by Star Wars. Which is the Luke Skywalker archetype - a young person, male or female, who is reaching adulthood, and finds himself - or herself - propelled into a series of events that require him or her to prove worthy. The Hero's Journey narrative structure that so often appears in films is particularly appropriate for coming-of-age stories. And it is precisely this kind of story that Star Wars has always been.

What is the difference between Rey and Han Solo? Well, the difference is that Rey is the Luke Skywalker of Episode VII, whereas Han Solo was, uh, the Han Solo. Now, how does Rey compare to Luke? It's a very interesting comparison to make, and certainly at the end of the day, the results are exceedingly unfavourable for Luke. He was hardly a cool character until almost the end of the film - and that was precisely the point, because a character, in order to grow, needs to start off in a place where they have room to grow. Rey isn't given that opportunity. She is presented, right from the start, as being absolutely awesome at everything, so that nobody for one instant could have any doubt that she's a great hero. It's almost as if the screenwriters didn't think a normal teenage woman would be appropriate for a lead character, in the same way that normal, teenage Luke was appropriate. If I were a feminist, I'd probably launch into a rant accusing the (male, naturally) writers of being secretly sexist, of saying that women cannot become heroes unless they are made into heroes by the (male, naturally) writers.

But all that having been said, I didn't actually complain about Episode VII, because - hey, sure, there's Indiana Jones, there's John McClane, there's Lara Croft, there's James Bond, and undoubtedly a whole bunch of others, who are lead characters that don't go through that kind of journey Luke went through. And that's fine - I mean, I might find James Bond films obnoxious for that exact reason, but I utterly love Indiana Jones, so why not? The reason I'm bringing this up now, specifically, is not because of Rey. It's because Rey has been followed through with another female lead who so far seems to be just like Rey, not in terms of their past stories and all that, but in terms of being this same kind of self-sufficient action hero character. And so I find myself asking - is that actually the best the writers can do? Are they afraid to explore other character types? Or is it just that they wouldn't score brownie points with the progressive crowd if they had a female character who doesn't start off as "strong, self-sufficient, tough, capable" from page one of the script? Just for the record, though, ironically this kind of self-sufficient hard-ass hero is of course exactly the archetype you want for a spinoff movie like Rogue One, so it's not a case of the new character being somehow wrong, but rather a case of the unintended ridiculousness of identical characters one after the other.

I must watch way more movies and read way more books, I can name thousand of anti heroes in movies, books, and videogames once again those are common characters nowadays.

lets see off the top of my head John McClaine, dirty harry, if you wanna go even more oldschool john wayne as rooster cogburn in true grit, videogames lets see big boss is an anti hero, the bride in kill bill, and yes han solo bc for most of the first movie all he wants is his money and only at the last second does he do the right thing, plus we all know he shot greedo lol.

ps I didnt compare rey to han solo I compared the new girl to han solo bc she is portrayed in the trailer as an anti hero with a rap sheet a mile long. im pretty sure rey was never arrested before lol. also like my original point is if it was a dude no body would bat an eye. its not even being prgressive really its just reality, there are strong females out there. just like I thought it was ridiculous that some fans were complaining about finn bc he was a black storm trooper what yr are we in 1957 lol.

just to further prove my pt go to about 5:30 of this video and you will see most folks see the new girl as an anti hero

Last edited:
We have a sample of 8 Star Wars movies to date. 6 have had male leads. To bring gender parity to the force, they would still need to lead another 4 with women.
Even if they did choose the leads at random, they would have a 25% chance of choosing two women in successive films. It's not an astronomically unlikely event.

We must have seen different movies. Rey fails in many places - on Jakku, aboard Han's freighter and on Takodana. She doesn't fail for long, except when captured by Kylo Ren. Luke and Anakin don't fail for long either - the Star Wars movies are paced too quickly to let characters fail at stuff that would slow down the movie. They also often fail into things - like Luke escaping into a trash compactor aboard the Death Star, or Rey accidentally opening doors on Han's freighter when she meant to close them.

So gender doesn't matter... until there are two women in succession, then it matters immensely.

People also seem able to assess a remarkable amount of Jyn Erso's character considering that she speaks a total of 11 words in this trailer. What is revealed doesn't seem to have much in common with Rey. There is the lack of parental figures, but that goes for most protagonists in action films - it's the easiest way to explain why their parents aren't keeping them from wandering into the middle of a war zone.

The final scene is probably just a fake-out, given the dialog, but I'm hoping that she defects to the Empire and re-enacts the best parts of the TIE Fighter series instead.

As for what they're doing with the Extended Universe, I'm in favor of it. I've enjoyed most EU media I've encountered, but it was getting very crowded. In particular, declaring that Luke's Jedi Academy failed has improved it no end. It does represent some cluelessness on the part of both Luke and the New Republic, but it's great for storytelling. It means that Jedi (and Sith to counter them) will remain rare and mythic figures. More importantly, those that do arise will be muddling along, each with a random assortment of poorly-understood force powers, hurled into situations they have never been trained for. (Jedi Knight had Morgan Katarn taking immense risks hiding Qu Rahn's lightsaber and the map, hoping that Kyle Katarn would find both and not cut any of his own limbs off teaching himself to use the saber. In a Star Wars Universe without Luke's academy, the Jedi Knight story fits much more easily. However, I'm still not expecting it to be repeated. If they do decide to include a character named "Kyle Katarn," I expect to see how his story went if he never gains force powers. Maybe he becomes the most feared mercenary in the galaxy, maybe he just settles down to herd nerfs.)

amen brother if rey is a mary sue than luke is a mark sue, he takes out the death star with no real flight experience and is pulling off stunts that no farm boy should be ever able to do. the reason why is well bc of the force, either you have to accept the force in all its absurd glory or you dont at all, its not fair to pick and choose. why can luke destroy the deathstar with no targeting system bc of the force, why can a 6 yr old anikan drive a pod racer around cliffs doing 500 miles an hr without dying bc of the force, why can rey defeat kylo with no training bc of the force. the answer is always the force lol.

If they do decide to include a character named "Kyle Katarn," I expect to see how his story went if he never gains force powers. Maybe he becomes the most feared mercenary in the galaxy, maybe he just settles down to herd nerfs.)

Well, Kyle had no force powers in the first game, where he steals the plans to the death star(what they are going to do in that movie), so no changes there.

Back