Star Wars IV A New Hope question

ck9791

Rear Admiral
I watched Star Wars IV-VI this past week and while I was watching a New Hope I noticed something. In the first part of the movie when Luke is living on Tatooine with his aunt and uncle he seems very interested in the Rebellion and wants know more when C3PO mentions it. He also wants to help Obi-Wan because he has "no love for the Empire". What confuses me though is when he is talking to his uncle he wants to put in his application for the academy in the current year, but his uncle wants him to wait. Wouldn't the academy though put him into imperial service? Or is their a rebel academy at this point?

Luke also mentions two of his friends going off to the academy in his conversation with his uncle, one of whom we see later on Yavin 4. I don't know if that means that there is a rebel academy or Biggs graduated the academy and then left imperial service to join the rebellion.

He is referring to the Imperial academy, the idea being that the only way off the farm is to join the military no matter how you feel about it.

Biggs had more dialogue in the movie's shooting script, including a cut scene at the start (when they're watching the Star Destroyer with binoculars) in which he tells Luke that he plans to 'jump ship' and join the rebellion as soon as he can.

No problem. Much like the traitor scenes cut from the Wing Commander movie, the material with Biggs shows up in the various early adaptations of Star Wars--the radio version, the comic book, the novel, etc.

Maybe a stupid question (that I may already have asked) but what I always wondered: is Star Wars considered to take place in the future?

I always interpreted the "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away" to be the introduction in a fairy tale that was told by someone from the even further future than Star Wars. I.e. if Star Wars takes place in the year 3000, the story is told by someone in the year 5000. I can't even say why I thought that but I never considered it could be otherwise. Maybe my child mind thought "It has lasers so it must be the future!"

The I met somebody who said that Star Wars is actually meant to take place "A long time ago" from our perspective, just as the text says.

Something to note is that Star Wars is actually science fantasy, not pure science fiction. I think that's what that line is really all about. Not establishing an absolute location (10 million BC in the Badger Eye galaxy) so much as the feel (it's both in the past [fantasy] and in another galaxy [scifi]).

I would think he wanted to join the academy perhaps as a means to an end? You know, get the necessary training, and such and then jump ship and join the rebellion...

Though I'd love to see how they'd react to the name "Skywalker" showing up on the application.

They made a big deal one giving Anakin that scar by his eye. In return of the jedi when darth vader removes his helmet is that scar there?

I didn't notice the scar on Return of the Jedi, but bear in mind that it's an entirely different actor in the Darth Vader costume when the face reveal is done.

P.S. - Han shot first!

They made a big deal one giving Anakin that scar by his eye. In return of the jedi when darth vader removes his helmet is that scar there?

Vader has a big scar that runs over his left cheek bone, about an inch under the eye. That the one you're talking about?

In one version of "Return of the Jedi", they replaced the original actor in the final scene where he sees the ghost versions of Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin with the actor from Episode III

Maybe a stupid question (that I may already have asked) but what I always wondered: is Star Wars considered to take place in the future?

I always interpreted the "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away" to be the introduction in a fairy tale that was told by someone from the even further future than Star Wars. I.e. if Star Wars takes place in the year 3000, the story is told by someone in the year 5000. I can't even say why I thought that but I never considered it could be otherwise. Maybe my child mind thought "It has lasers so it must be the future!"

The I met somebody who said that Star Wars is actually meant to take place "A long time ago" from our perspective, just as the text says.

Well, the original idea Lucas had was for the Death Star to win, and what was left of the Rebellion would form a rag-tag fleet and make their way to a new home, but he threw it away at the last minute as no one would want to watch something like that. He kept the introduction, though.

Its meant to be a fairytale/mythologic introduction. Star Wars has no whatsoever connection to our timeline or galaxy (even though in some of the EU books there were some out of place references to Earth).

The backstory for Darklighter was that he and other young officers staged a mutiny on a small imperial ship and joined the Rebellion. Wheter that was Lukes plan too is up to debate but its the most likely one considering what he thought about the Empire and that Biggs had informed him on his idea of joining the Rebellion.

Back