Star Wars: Empire at War

ELTEE

Vice Admiral
Anyone have this game? I'm interested in it, but worried that it isn't much fun from a RTS point of view. I find it harder to 'trust' game reviews these days, so if anyone has first hand experience, I'd welcome their opinions on the game and its expansion, Forces of Corruption.

I played the demo and was really disappointed in it. The "cinematic camera" effect was poorly implemented, usually focusing on a blank patch of space instead of where the battle was going on, and the maps were 2 1/2 dimensional (think of a board game where you can go an inch above and an inch under the board) which had zero effect on gameplay.

I'm sure theres a really good Star Wars mod for Homeworld 2 out there. I'd certainly suggest that over any Star Wars RTS.

I played the demo and was really disappointed in it. The "cinematic camera" effect was poorly implemented, usually focusing on a blank patch of space instead of where the battle was going on, and the maps were 2 1/2 dimensional (think of a board game where you can go an inch above and an inch under the board) which had zero effect on gameplay.

Yeah, there wasn't enough options for maneuverability in combat to make the tactical game play really re-playable. Ground combat did a slightly better job.

And the cinematic camera was really touch and go, though there were some ways to control this. I think numlock locked the camera on the current object selected - and switching to cinematic mode with the camera locked would automatically default it to the camera locked object. Still, when the camera defaults to a blank patch of space it takes some of the fun out of things.

I'm sure theres a really good Star Wars mod for Homeworld 2 out there. I'd certainly suggest that over any Star Wars RTS.

My problem with both the Homeworld and Homeworld 2 Star Wars mods is the fighters. I was very excited when they were announced. And after the first eight months when they'd finished one ship (The TIE Interceptor) I was absolutely astounded at how pretty it looked in their screen shots and concept artwork.

Then they insisted (They being the Warlords team) on absolutely realistic scaling. You can't even tell what's a TIE Interceptor on the screen once the battle starts. I'd say that they look like a little spot of dust on your monitor, but the spot of dust is actually BIGGER then the fighter on the screen. And if you zoom all the way in all you can tell is that it's a TIE Fighter.

I just don't understand the logic here - we're going to spend eight years building a fleet of super detailed fighters and then make them to small in game for anyone to see the hard work we put in.

Plus, I didn't like the Homeworld 2 Engine. The original was much better, with higher games and games that could be played with no unit caps. A RTS game with no unit caps! That's just pure awesome.

I liked it... I agree with what Lehah said about the cinema parts, but they include as much of the star wars, EU as possible. Mara Jade, Kyle Katarn, Xizor, skiprays, Marauder cruisers, rebel gunboats... etc. Try the expansion, the storyline is awesome. Plus there is rumors of a WC mod coming out for it.

It's awesome. Only real problem is the low unit limit and I'm sure there's a houndred mods to fix that out there.

Dyret, it's even easier than you think. The configuration is in either an xml or ini file, you can just go in, find the command point limit (a fighter squadron is 2, frigates are 3, cap ships are 4 points or something like that) for each faction and adjust as you like...mine were promptly set to 100+

Dyret, it's even easier than you think. The configuration is in either an xml or ini file, you can just go in, find the command point limit (a fighter squadron is 2, frigates are 3, cap ships are 4 points or something like that) for each faction and adjust as you like...mine were promptly set to 100+

Or, rather then changing every unit individually, you can change the battle limit to 200.

I'm not a fan of the game. The overall interface was too simplistic, as was the ground and space combat, as mentioned already. From what I recall, there was no real open-ended mode -- either you fought pre-configured space battles or campaigns that are limited in scope. (I recall some ridiculous liberties they took with the plots in their campaign, like Captain Antilles flying a near-invulnerable Corellian Corvette and knocking out a whole fleet of Star Destroyers in dock.) There are other limitations to the game - like having to jump from planet-to-planet, Wing Commander style, to reach your objective, as opposed to make a singe hyperspace jump, Star Wars style.

If you want to play a great Star Wars RTS, I recommend Rebellion. It has a huge scope, variety of missions, and has a very dedicated fanbase and modding community. I thought Empire at War would be a spiritual successor, but was sorely disappointed.

I got EaW a few years back, at a discounted price, so I can imagine it's pretty cheap today. I never got a chance (or didn't want) to play the expansion, but I here it's a proper expansion and the three-sided warfare can make interesting combinations. If you are a Star Wars fan, and an RTS fan, and can find the two-pack game/expansion for under $20, it's probably worth it.

I'm not a fan of the game. The overall interface was too simplistic, as was the ground and space combat, as mentioned already.

This is true - there is also NO ability to orbital bombard an enemy planet before landing, regardless of the presence of shield generators.

And that's another thing - planetary bases? Yeah. All of them built on or around pre-made locations. And all of them inherently the same.

From what I recall, there was no real open-ended mode -- either you fought pre-configured space battles or campaigns that are limited in scope.

There IS an open mode where it's you with the whole galaxy, but you have to patch your game to get it. Good luck making this work - getting this game running and connecting to the internet is a monster job.

There are other limitations to the game - like having to jump from planet-to-planet, Wing Commander style, to reach your objective, as opposed to make a singe hyperspace jump, Star Wars style.

To expand on this, UNLIKE Wing Commander, where the planet lines are inherently linked, you have NO IDEA what path a fleet will take when moving it between systems. Two planets that look right next to each other might actually be several days travel out of the way, and you have no idea of it until you've committed your forces. Worse, said path might pass through an enemy planet first, causing your fleet to get decimated before even arriving where you want it to go.

Naturally, once you've committed the fleet to a path, there is no stopping it.

If you want to play a great Star Wars RTS, I recommend Rebellion. It has a huge scope, variety of missions, and has a very dedicated fanbase and modding community. I thought Empire at War would be a spiritual successor, but was sorely disappointed.

I disagree with this. There is no 'main campaign' in Rebellion as in EAW, or real 'missions' it's pretty much an open ended game. It can be fun, but it's also very tedious. And the combat situations in Rebellion are very much a numbers game, where tactics in EAW can play a much larger role.

I liked it... I agree with what Lehah said about the cinema parts, but they include as much of the star wars, EU as possible.

This is more than enough reason to not only actively avoid it - but to destroy every copy you come across.

Not a very objective look at the game as far as I can see. Yes the game has its faults but then doesn't every game?? Whats that saying?? "You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time".

As a player of the game I would say its quite fun (if a bit repetitive at times but this is to be expected from a linear gameplay in the campaign). As a modder of the game I would say it has alot more to offer than many other games in terms of RTS as has been demonstrated in the past.

If your post could get any more passive-aggressive, you'd have just posted lyrics to Linkin Park.

Thanks to all for the feedback. Despite a few severe shortcomings, I really enjoyed Rebellion when it was released and have played it many times.

I think I'll continue holding out to see what comes next. It is probably safe to assume that this genre will be visited again at some point by the Star Wars universe. Maybe they tried to do too much with including both ground and space combat. I actually didn't mind the simulated planetary assaults in Rebellion - it was the tactical fleet engagements that were really lacking to me.

Thanks again, everyone.

I do wish you'd at least try to figure out what a word means before you use it, LeHah.

I'm sorry if English is your second language, but every word in that post is used properly. Please keep up with the rest of us.

So to whom are you directing that comment at and if its to me any particular reason why??

Your whole post is passive-aggressive. You go from one end - complaining about objectivism - to the other - talking about how you mod the game yourself.

And the whole "Well doesn't everything?!" in the context of your post is just overly apologetic of the situation.

Funny. I don't remember complaining about objectivism, so kindly don't go putting words in my mouth if you please, and seeing as I've a fairly long thread on the mod I'm currently making for the game I would have thought it pretty obvious even to you that I have actually played the game, or do you expect people to just blindly agree with what you say??

It seems to me that you don't see the game for what it is - RTS entertainment. Negativity such as yours isn't exactly warranted until you can actually provide more insight of your playing the game instead of a "demo". To define the entire game from a small portion of the game (as defined by the demo) amounts to nothing more than a very narrow minded view of it.

Oh and before you continue to harp on about what you believe is a "good game", there are plenty of people who would disagree. Homeworld, and its sequel aren't that good and yes, I have played both to quite a long degree as well more so out of curiosity, but then not every RTS game appeals to every player. Wouldn't you agree??

So what other RTS games would you make the same complaint about from just the games demo then??

It also seems to me that your reply was nothing more than a mild attempt to flamebait. "Linkin Park". Never even heard of them until a quick usage of wikipedia and just so you know, I don't listen to that kind of rubbish.

It'll be no surprise to me if your unwilling to just realise that EaW and its sequel is enjoyed and played by a good number of people. Same goes for ALL games.

This is true - there is also NO ability to orbital bombard an enemy planet before landing, regardless of the presence of shield generators.

Oh noes! D:

And that's another thing - planetary bases? Yeah. All of them built on or around pre-made locations. And all of them inherently the same.

So?

There IS an open mode where it's you with the whole galaxy, but you have to patch your game to get it. Good luck making this work - getting this game running and connecting to the internet is a monster job.

I'm pretty sure it shipped with Galactic Conquest.

To expand on this, UNLIKE Wing Commander, where the planet lines are inherently linked, you have NO IDEA what path a fleet will take when moving it between systems. Two planets that look right next to each other might actually be several days travel out of the way, and you have no idea of it until you've committed your forces. Worse, said path might pass through an enemy planet first, causing your fleet to get decimated before even arriving where you want it to go. Naturally, once you've committed the fleet to a path, there is no stopping it.

Nope, this is wrong. Only reason they would do this is if there was a hyperspace... thing (blue line) that made the other route faster.

Back