Star Trek Legacy

ck9791

Rear Admiral
I've seen a few posts talking about Legacy before it came out, talking about possibilities and showing screenshots, but I was wondering what people think of it now that its out and they've played it?

I enjoy the game a lot. I think it has great graphics, even without a HDTV, and audio. I love the damage effects to a ship, seeing its hull get scorched or a nacelle get blown off. And the audio is great, I like the details with the crew voices reporting the status of their ships....especially when fighting a losing battle such as against the Borg and you hear the different commander's saying their ship is damaged, or containment is failing. It reminds me of the opening scene from DS9 Emissary or from the First Contact movie.

The campaign is interesting too, I like how you progress through the timeline and have the opportunity to have older ships operating with newer vessels, upgrading them as you have the points. I haven't beaten the campaign yet, right now I am on the 1st mission with Picard, where you have the Stargazer and have to stop the fragments from hitting the three planets. I've been struggling with stopping all the fragments, finally the other night I did, only then i didn't stop the large piece so I have to redo the mission again.

The PC version got bad reviews. The Xbox 360 version has good to great reviews. I love the game too, although I can't complete the campaign. I am stuck on the same mission at the same spot. What ships do you use? I use Stargazer and 3 Apollo class ships. Very fast and a respectable amount of armaments for a ship its size. I use them to destroy the fragmentsand leave Stargazer in the rear.

I ended up enjoying Legacy (for the Ybox) quite a bit. The ship models are beautiful, and once you get the hang of the game it can be quite challenging in a good way. Let me take this opportunity to brag about my recent accomplishment... 1000/1000 achievements! :)

That mission was a pain, but at the same time figuring out strategies to do it right is exactly where the game shines. My tactic was to put three cruisers down by the spawn point for the asteroids and then to use the Stargazer for targetting errant asteroids and hten for towing.

Unfortunately, the AI doesn't target and fire fragments as quickly as the player does... so you should manually switch to the cruisers and cycle through the 'next target' and fire as quickly as possible whenever you get a chance. That significantly reduced the number of fragments coming at the planets/arrays.

If you're trying to save the arrays too (for the achievement), tow the extra turrets to them *first*.... then you can let them be and concentrate your ships in a different area, since the turrets are great at defending things.

My strategy was to use one of my Apollo ships (I had 3), as in my previous post. Park Stargazer and two Apollos at the starbase, and use one Apollo on player control and diverting primary power to weapons and using phasers mow down all the target asteroids. I was able to stay relatively close to the systems star and safe for the planets. I then used Stargazer and the other ships to tow the defense grid satellites to the planets. What happened was when the big asteroid showed up and it was already halfway across the map. The Stargazer was by far too slow to catch up to the asteroid, I forgot to divert power to the engines. She was the closest ship, and the others started firing on the other asteroids and were geting even farther away. I managed to tow one asteroid into place but ran out of time getting another. When it got to the point where I was about to throw the controller at the tv I stopped playing heh heh. I have been trying to find someone on xbox live to play with. I also have a question, What is USS Legacy? I saw it listed among all the acheivements, is it a ship or just another name for the existing ships?

Yeah, that's the problem with the Apollos, you need multiple tractor beams for the last asteroid.

The USS Legacy is a Sovereign-class ship... the fourth one you get (third you buy). Just save your space money and getting it is no problem (although I had more luck with Defiants when I played through the game on Admiral).

I'm happy to play on Live -- just ping me sometime when I'm online.

Am I the only one who's played and finished it on the PC?
The asteroids mission was a total pain in the ass, the only difference in my strategy was using my fastest ship (ok so i bought 3 souts in the end...) with full power to engines to tow the turrets

I still think the Enterprise-era mission where you have to defend the medical ships was more of a pain...

It's a pretty good game but as far as ST space-sims go I still think Klingon Academy deserves top honours

I'm still itching to play Bridge Commander. I played the demo and its beyond cool. And all the addons for it is mind boggling. Its too bad I can't find a copy, atleast for less than about a hundred bucks. Its beyond rare. I found the last enterprise mission to be a pain as well. the one where you have to take on wave after wave of romulans, and defend the shipyard. It was cool though how you could use the old nuclear powered mining stations as EMPs.

I enjoy this game quite a bit but Im pretty terrible at it. I've needed LOAF to coach me through most of the levels (Ive done three by myself).

I guess I'm better suited to FPS but this game is quite fun. I'm sure Ill replay it a couple of times in the future.

For the love of Surak, why-o-why can't the ships in Legacy do loops? that has to be the most annoying thing about the "flight" model..

I thought Legacy turned out great. It's neat that they modeled so many ships. You'd see something new and fancy available to use, and before you bought it, it was on to the next era. I really don't mind short games at all, but this would have been something I think they could have doubled in length without it starting to drag much. I thought they did a good job of covering time between TOS and TNG with the late TOS movie time period moving in to Picard's Stargazer days.

I didn't really notice the lack of loops, and I was playing the game from the ship's perspective most of the time.

Well now I've heard a lot of griping about some missions, what would you say is your fave?
I loved playing hide and seek against the Romulans to reach the Defiant.

The PC version got bad reviews. The Xbox 360 version has good to great reviews. I love the game too, although I can't complete the campaign. I am stuck on the same mission at the same spot. What ships do you use? I use Stargazer and 3 Apollo class ships. Very fast and a respectable amount of armaments for a ship its size. I use them to destroy the fragmentsand leave Stargazer in the rear.

I've tried a few different size ships, Miranda refits, Consitution refits, and Excelsiors. The Mirandas don't have the firepower, in my opinion, it takes them longer to destroy some of the larger fragments as they need to recharge and use multiple phaser bursts. And the Excelsiors, while having the firepower are on the slow side. The time i cleared all the smaller fragments and made it to the one large fragment i used three constitution refits with the Stargazer. That seemed to work pretty well as the constitution class ships were able to to intercept all the fragments before they got too close to the planets and had the firepower to usually destroy them in one sustained phaser burst. As others have said, i then used the Stargazer to try to tow the weapons turrets to the planets.

My problem with the large fragement after this sequence was i wasn't sure how to do it at first and i wasted time. I tried towing the smaller pieces for a bit towards the large fragment, giving them momentum and then releasing the tractor beam.....but that didn't work, the smaller pieces stopped before they hit the large fragment. By the time i tried just towing the smaller pieces right up to the large fragment i was only able to hit it with two pieces.

I noticed the same problem LOAF describes when targeting the fragments. Sometimes the AI doesn't target the correct one, even though you send the ship right at that fragment on the map screen. I found myself having to jump between ships a lot, targeting a asteroid here and firing, then switching to another ship and doing the same.

I am stuck on the same mission at the same spot. What ships do you use?

What you need is three ships - The Stargazer (obviously), a second ship of your choice and an Oberth class.

You can do this to your own timing - but basically, when the game says for you to start moving around the satilites, take the Oberth and open up the power distribution window (hold down X, I think - check your manual). Stick all the power into your engines and then send that ship out to tow the satilites to their location at full speed. (If you use the map, you'll need to adjust by aiming for the white target block to automatically drop off the satilite)

Once I figured that out, I was golden.

I noticed that problem when towing the satellites using the map. Even zoomed in all the way you'd miss it sometimes as it would be above or below your ship. Can you line up with the white box the actual game mode with your ship, and then use the fly to command?

You can't manuever up or down on the map. While on "ship mode", you have to rotate the camera to the box and press... A? Whatever button it is.

I'm not sure if anyone knows this offhand, but I have a PS2 (don't laugh) and not a 360. Are the PS2 (Legends) and 360 (Legacy) basically the same game?

I beat the campaign yesterday night. I was able to get past the Stargazer stage where you had to destroy the fragments before they hit the planets and from there i just kept going. I really liked the other missions after this, especially the ones against the Borg where you were joined by the Klingon and Romulan ships. They really made the battle more interesting, having more ships on both sides to have a large fleet engagement. I'm glad to see it was done and it looked good.

The last mission, where you have to destroy the crazy vulcan and her ship was tough. I placed both of the sensor pods at either end of the streamer, but then when they were counting down to be powered up, the Borg destroyed one of them. I had to go back and get a replacement. At this point most, if not all, of the allied ships besides my own fleet were destroyed, and the four ships in my fleet was banged up. I basically had to limp back to the position underneath the streamer towing the sensor pod in the Enterprise-E with a borg rectangle or two on my butt the whole trip. Luckily, the E held out.

Back