Star Destroyers

Especially when you get into the NJO series and you find out that the Republic Star Defender has the same amount of firepower as the Super Star Destroyer with only 1/3 the length and half the crew.

Ptarmigan said:
Just curious, what is NJO?

New Jedi Order - the series of books which follows the post New Republic Era, some 15-20 years after the events of Return of the Jedi. At this point, Jedi are common, a new threat has arrived from outside the Galaxy, and whole planets are dying again.

Personally, I stopped reading it after the second NJO book came out. As noted by Ed, it's pretty much like Aces fanfic, but published by a major company.

Haesslich said:
New Jedi Order - the series of books which follows the post New Republic Era, some 15-20 years after the events of Return of the Jedi. At this point, Jedi are common, a new threat has arrived from outside the Galaxy, and whole planets are dying again.

Personally, I stopped reading it after the second NJO book came out. As noted by Ed, it's pretty much like Aces fanfic, but published by a major company.

Yuuzhan Vong are in the NJO. They turn planets into organic matter. They are from a different galaxy.

Ptarmigan said:
Yuuzhan Vong are in the NJO. They turn planets into organic matter. They are from a different galaxy.

That's why I said they come from outside the galaxy, and are killing whole planets. It's still crap.

Truth be told all these people are lying. The hate the New Jedi Order because Chewbacca dies in the first Book, and Anakin Solo dies in the tenth book. And they resent the EU writers for killing of a real and an EU Character - even though it was long past time for the to do it.

People don't say that, though. And people who pass judgement on NJO based on the first book, or even (I would say) on the first ten haven't really had much of the NJO experiances.

I think the NJO did alot of things well. It started a general plot line that all the books continued - instead of one enemy defeated per book there was one enemy for a whole series. The good guys started to lose - I love the Heros, but having them win all the time in the same way was getting WAY past old. The good guys started to DIE - and then had to explore how the CHARACTERS felt about that (Han Solo refers to it as the invisible bubble protecting his family from harm popped - watching his evolution through the NJO series is perhaps the most fun part). You also get to see where old heroes like Admiral Ackbar and Wedge Antilles end up. And it explores a bit more of the Baron Fel situation - you actually see his Son, Wedge Antilles Nephew, fall in love with Jaina Solo (who forms her own squadron by the way).

The later books in the NJO series are definatly the better ones. The characters and enemies have evolved enough that people understand both. And the battles are much grander, and much more intriguing. All in all I think the NJO series unified the Star Wars Authors and had them working towards a common goal again, which I like. But that's just my opionion. As you can see, most people didn't like the books.

Truth be told all these people are lyin
g. The hate the New Jedi Order because Chewbacca dies in the first Book, and Anakin Solo dies in the tenth book. And they resent the EU writers for killing of a real and an EU Character - even though it was long past time for the to do it.

You're good at making really stupid assumptions.

There's a billion reasons to hate Star Wars novels - the collective mass of internet consciousness isn't plotting against you to hide why they *really* think the books suck.

Honestly? Chewbacca dying was a good thing - though the introduction of Kyp Durron with his own fighter squadron and the Fel kid seemed more like fanboy creations than something that really belonged in the SW universe, at least in my opinion. Elements like that, Mara Jade's fatal illness and subsequent recovery, and the whole 'everyone forms their own squadron/runs off to talk to a living planet/etc' being key to the survival of the Republic were kinda contrived. Most the NJO books that I've gone and browsed through since seem more to be a soap opera than an attempt at an epic story; Zahn got more of one done in three books (the Heir to the Empire series) than they got in the NJO series.

Does everyone have to know everyone else? Does everyone have ot fall in love, just because they're of different genders when they meet? Does there have to be a fatal illness which is miraculously cured, just to provide some tension, especially in what has effectively become a warzone? No. But try telling the authors of the NJO books that.

While it was interesting to see all the authors doing what was effectively a mosaic work (the NJO story), as a series I found it disappointing because there seemed to be so MANY things they didn't need to do that were done just to have a plot to work around. Especially things that seem rather fanboyish (like having a character starting a squadron that they lead and go on to win the war/battle).

Jason_Ryock said:
Truth be told all these people are lying. The hate the New Jedi Order because Chewbacca dies in the first Book, and Anakin Solo dies in the tenth book. And they resent the EU writers for killing of a real and an EU Character - even though it was long past time for the to do it.

I hate it because its completely horrible writing. I wouldn't bother tearing pages out of it to wipe my ass with. If you're going to kill a major character - thats fine, but write it so it's worth reading. Not this superweapon, jedi-killing Borg-knockoff S&M alien species thats from another galaxy. Yeesh.

It seems that everyone is making judgement the same way Episode 3 was judge.
Me thinks that alot of people are being too critical about it

Theres a massive difference from infering mythos within badly written dialouge - and just writing complete crap.

LeHah said:
Theres a massive difference from infering mythos within badly written dialouge - and just writing complete crap.

Don't forget that half the compromises made in Ep III were there to show fans that 'yes, this indeed is Star Wars, so we're showing you stuff you'll recognize in later movies'. That's where the X-Wing shape of the ARC-170 came from, for example. Some of the NJO stuff, on the other hand, seems to be there just to say 'hey, this is Star Wars because we've taken some names, thrown them in, and put in a bunch of things the fans always wanted to see'.

Personally I enjoyed the New Jedi Order. At first I was upset to see Chewie died then when Anakin die I was annoyed. But then it like all heros they live and learn and die one day. If there was a way a hero would die in would be in some kind of 'blazes of glory'

Back