Star Destroyers

Dragon1

Rear Admiral
Anyone see the trailer for Episode III?

Are those Victory-class Star Destroyers that are shown in some of the battle sequences!?!?

That would be a cool tie in from the novels and various video games to the movies.

Does anyone have any info on them? I take it that they are probably just scaled down Imperial I-class Star Destroyers.

Episode III takes place 20 years before Episode IV, correct?

Actually, they may be. According to lore from the Star Wars Crossection Book, the Victory class Star Destroyer entered service in the last year of the Old Republic, the year EP III takes place.

They're not. Early MK1 Victory-class Star Destroyers have a pair of Wing-like objects attatched to the sides of their hulls, slightly rear of Midline. Looking from the front or back they look like sideways V's. Like: >---< Witht he -'s as the main hull and the <>'s as the sides.

The Old Republic Star Destroyers actually have a chunk missing from the sides of them if you look carefully enough.

I already had this debate with several other Star Wars Geeks when the teaser trailer was released. We poured over every bit of detail in the trailer to confirm our suspicions.

It is however, very apparent that the Republic Ships from EPIII are very clearly a predecessor to more "modern" Star Destroyers, however, they ARE in a class all their own.

According to George Lucas and Rick McCullem (Source: Myself, I saw them both speak at Celebration III) Episode Three is supposed to be set Eighteen ( 1 - 8 ) years before Episode IV. How exactly they arrived at that number I am not sure, but we know Luke to be between 16-20 in ANH (I think his given age is 19, but I don't know that for sure, I've heard various differant theories on this, and depending on when exactly his birthday is this could be complicated by the new movie and/or the old ones since we don't know when exactly in the year they take place).

There are several theories behind the twins age and all but the question regarding the Star Destroyers is interesting.
I recently went to a bookstore in the city (somewhere in Australia) and there were release of reference picture books of various ships, equipment of episode 3.
One was of the "Star Destroyer" which was a whole different class prior to the Victory or the Imperial Class. My view is that the Star Destroyer in Ep 3 is probably the basic design which the Imperials used to create the Star Destroyers that we known today.
Question as whether they would be be any tie ins to the novels is not possible as Lucas does not use novels for any basis. However, he does allow the books to be published so there would be so leverage to it with the use of the novels which Lucas may have read or come across with.

Jason_Ryock said:
According to George Lucas and Rick McCullem (Source: Myself, I saw them both speak at Celebration III) Episode Three is supposed to be set Eighteen ( 1 - 8 ) years before Episode IV. How exactly they arrived at that number I am not sure, but we know Luke to be between 16-20 in ANH (I think his given age is 19, but I don't know that for sure, I've heard various differant theories on this, and depending on when exactly his birthday is this could be complicated by the new movie and/or the old ones since we don't know when exactly in the year they take place).

I thought he was 19 as well but as LeHah pointed out to me, the ANH novelization states that Luke is twice the age of a 10 year old moisture vaporator he's working on, so he's 20. On the Victory class SD's, you are right, the trailer does not show Victory SD's, but it would be nice to see one in the movie.

The only reference from the books that Lucas took (IIRC) is the name ''Coruscant'' , from the Thrawn Trilogy (Zahn)

So potentially if Lucas made episodes 7-9, they would be totally different than the books that were published in the 80s and 90s, books that he authorized?!?!

What's up with George Lucas?

I was just on star wars.com and noticed they have updated the databank section with new items from EPIII included is the New Venator-class star destroyer under the heading of Republic attack cruiser. Any one interested in the ship can look there for story, armerments, and fighter compliments.

Lucas isn't interested in making movies from someone's interpretation of his story. Sure, he approved the books because he makes good money off of them and they're a good read and stick pretty close to his universe. But when it comes to making a movie (his personal love) he wants to tell his own story not someone else's.

True enough. I just figured that the people writing the books would have been given continuity information and other source material from Lucas himself. This is why the WC novels are so good is because the information between Forstchen and Origin was pretty much the same.

True but to be honest that's a bit different...Origin developed the material and Forstchen followed up with the books. Forstchen acted in much the same way as these other SW authors have done with Lucas' work. Origin did much the same as Lucas would theoretically do when they took Forstchen's almost likeable and respectable Tolwyn character and turned him into an evil arch villain.

Dragon1 said:
I just figured that the people writing the books would have been given continuity information and other source material from Lucas himself.

The majority of such information comes from the Continuity Department at Lucasfilm. It very rarely goes so far up the ladder to reach Lucas's ears. In fact, the only time I've heard it getting that far was when they were making Dark Forces 2 and asked about lightsabers working underwater.

(I'll reply to this thread in full when I get home from work.)

Good point.
Lightsabers underwater?? Now that would be interesting......
So potentially if Lucas made episodes 7-9, they would be totally different than the books that were published in the 80s and 90s, books that he authorized?!?!
What's up with George Lucas?
Like what the others said, Lucas has authorise the release and publications of novels for Star Wars to make money and what nots, but I believe that if there was a possibility that he would another movie or 2 for star wars he might or might not use some of the reference from the novels release. The use of Coruscant by Zahn in the Thrawn Trilogy was the only time I heard him use novel references but does indiate the possibility that he might use it again.
But then it is only from one point of view.....

Dahan said:
Good point. Lightsabers underwater?? Now that would be interesting.

It's been addressed twice, both in deleted scenes in the prequels. (Obi-Wan's lightsaber malfunctions when he lands on Naboo - which is why he's seen running from the droid on the speeder, which Qui-Gon kills. The second time is in a scene in the yet-to-be released Revenge Of The Sith involving droids coming out of a flooded hallway or something.)

Dahan said:
Like what the others said, Lucas has authorise the release and publications of novels for Star Wars to make money and what nots, but I believe that if there was a possibility that he would another movie or 2 for star wars he might or might not use some of the reference from the novels release.

And heres the things. Fanfiction alone - putting aside fan-mods, fan films, etc - should kill any notion that Star Wars fans should take any kind of reigns of the series. Lucas did the right thing by ignoring all previous non-film material - its just too bad what he created was mostly fluff.

Dahan said:
The use of Coruscant by Zahn in the Thrawn Trilogy was the only time I heard him use novel references but does indiate the possibility that he might use it again.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying this. Zahn didn't make it up; to get the name of the planet, he'd have to have called Lucas Licensing and asked them what the name was. Why? They wouldn't let him create something so important to the continuity in the first place; look at him being forced to change Crazy Clone Obi-Wan into Joruus C'Both.

The thing is with Star Trek and Star Wars and media tie-in novels is that they all work from the same clause: You can do whatever you want in the book/story arc, but you have to put things back the way they were by it's end.

Actually, Zahn did create the name Coruscant for us in his Heir to the Empire series. He even talked about this while he spoke at Star Wars Celebration III.

However, the concept of a City Planet, that is, the idea behind Coruscant, is actually Lucas' creation. All Zahn did was put a name on it.

So when you say Lucas is using EU Material, he's really only using an EU name for something he already created. On another more interesting note, Zahn is also "technically" the creator of Kashyyyk, or at least what it was like, which is something else Lucas is using in EPIII that never gets mentioned.

And here's a good site for learning about Star Destroyers:
http://swguides.web1000.com/swguides.html

Back