Standoff

S

Shiva

I really like the way you guys get things done.
So i wanted to ask you what tools you used to create the ship-models and missions.
Is there a missioneditor to create my own mission?
Also is there a possibilty to reuse the models for other projects?
I'm just curious, because maybe i want to create a conversion and might use some of your stuff if i'm allowed to.

ps: excuse my bad english; non-native

The engine we use is (unfortunately) not too user-friendly to edit, because all of the file formats had to be figured out by the fans... so there's a lot of different tools that are only suited to very specific tasks, and there's still a lot of unknown variables around (meaning there are things we still can't edit, like the AI behavior for example).

Mission programming is done entirely by scripting in WCPPas (there is no graphical mission editor advanced enough to make proper missions), but the scripting language is fairly easy to learn and definitely allows for very complex missions.

Importing 2D bitmap graphics into the game will require you to use one of about 3 or 4 different tools, depending on what features the bitmap has or what function it will have in the game (ship texture, menu element, background image, etc)... some of these tools are command line tools, but they're all simple to use. The downside is just the time you will waste due to lack of an "all-in-one" image conversion tool.

To convert a ship into the game's format you need to go through a bunch of different tools (and depending on which 3D modeling package you used to make the originals, you might have to convert it to another format before converting it to the game's format) which are probably the most complex of all WCP modding tools. Making changes to previously converted ships half of the time means re-doing most of the conversion process...

Most of the tools we use were made by Mario "HCl" Brito, Thomas Bruckner, and our mission programmer PopsiclePete - you can check their personal websites (from the CIC's Links page) for documentation on each aspect of editing the game, and if you still have any questions you're welcome to ask around the Fan Projects section of the forums, most of the team usually checks that forum as well... but if you're looking for an easy-ish way to put your gaming ideas to practice, or if you're new to modding "barely documented" engines, it will really take you some time to get the hang of this one.

well ok,sounds like a fair trade to me.
As long as i don't have to remodel all the ships from wc1-5 and just use the
already existing models from Standoff. I could't help but recognize from the progress section of the standoff-hp that every confed & kilrathi ship is perfectly assembled alright.
So if there's a way i could just use these it would make the whole thing a lot easier.

Well, my policy on models is that until Standoff is finished, anyone can use my models (in any game engine) as long as they provide new textures for all of them... I don't want anyone else's game to look exactly like my own, and I don't want my textures used in "patchwork" mods that have no defined visual style of their own.

After I finish Standoff, however, I plan to repackage all of Standoff's ship related files in a "shipset" TRE file that anyone will be able to just plug into their own SO campaigns.

*.TRE-file

The thing with the textures is ok for me, i can do that.
But first i need to know how i can extract the models and which tre-file it is?
Which tool can extract such data?
Perhaps one of you guys may be able to provide some tools or a shippack.
Don't be afraid i mess with your files, i'm not planning on releasing it (some sort of private project)

p.s.
when i finish the work i'll post some pics in this forum, so that nobody has to worry about his work

You need TRE Manager to extract the files... but as I said, right now there are ship files all over our TRE files, since new or updated models were added with each new episodic release. You'd have to extract them all and look for the \mesh directory in each of them.

You would probably need to extract the \mat folder as well so that you know which textures you need to re-paint for each ship. You can get TREMAN from HCl's site here: http://hcl.wcrevival.de/

ok i got that working;
i extracted a hornet along with the meshes/mats and downloaded the tools for mat_to_bmp and bmp_to_mat. I worked a little with the different tools but i dont understand how to get to the shipmodels, i know that theres that /ships folder and that there're lots of *.iff files where probably the model information is stored with other attributes for each ship.

But in which format do i have to convert them and how?
How to extract or pack old/new ships?

I thought of using 3dsmax or cinema4d and dont know which fileformat i have to use so that i can convert correclty for whatever format is needed (*.iff?) .

You need 3D Exploration (or Deep Exploration, I think) and a plugin that you can get from Thomas Bruckner's site. The 3D objects are stored in \mesh, not in \ships. The ships directory is ship statistics and such. The conversion is kinda painful, as you have noticed. :p

Back