Squadron Commander?

I was just replaying WCP at the point where the CAG informs Maniac he's in command of the black widows. Who was the previous commander? I thought it would have been Hawk, did he step down??

Yup, the previous squadron commander was Hawk. Although, I don't know the reason for his stepping down, I think he was just fine.
Maniac, the squadron commander?!?! ROTFLMAO:) :)

I found it a bit strange too that Hawk was relieved of command and then replaced by Maniac. I never understood Confed HQ decisions anyway... ;) (though I suppose it wasn't Confed HQ that decided this time)

The only few things I can think about at that time, was that Maniac did complain....a lot, about never being given a chance to prove himself (for that promotion that's just, always been on the horizon. :rolleyes: ).

As for Hawk stepping down, it might have been for the same reason that Maniac did. Seeing all these young kids die right in front of your face to an enemy you don't really understand could take a lot outta ya. (But then again, maybe he just got lazy. :p )

Originally posted by Skyfire
(...)
As for Hawk stepping down, it might have been for the same reason that Maniac did. Seeing all these young kids die right in front of your face to an enemy you don't really understand could take a lot outta ya. (But then again, maybe he just got lazy. :p )

I don't think that Hawk would have had problems with that, not anymore. Remember: He opted to blast Ella superbase, killing a lot of civies.

And personally, I don't think that Maniac stepped down because he couldn't stand seeing people die. he didn't care too much about Dallas. Surely, he didn't like it but I think the main reason was that he had no fun in being a squadron commander. He just wanted to concentrate on flying again, not about stats for the CAG and so on.
That's what I think, nothing more nothing less.

I'd probably agree with the Hawk thing, but I'm not so sure about the Maniac idea. (Although that certainly IS part of it, since he complains about it.) But I think you have to combine the two. Not only does he hate being the lapdog for the CAG, but he also had a hard time seeing the rookies die before him. (They had a whole cutscene on the subject, so I figure that probably had a part of it.)

I think Hawk was sick of helping the Cats, thus he stepped down in mind of his carrer, toasting a wing of Cats would be unbecoming as a squadron commander.

Originally posted by Skyfire
I'd probably agree with the Hawk thing, but I'm not so sure about the Maniac idea. (Although that certainly IS part of it, since he complains about it.) But I think you have to combine the two. Not only does he hate being the lapdog for the CAG, but he also had a hard time seeing the rookies die before him. (They had a whole cutscene on the subject, so I figure that probably had a part of it.)

Yup, that's in the end what I meant too, so I agree. :)

I think toasting a wing of Kilrathi when you are ordered to defend them is bad for your career regardless if you're squadron commander or not. <g>

as a sqoudren commander it is your duty to follow orders agree
or not but it is our duty

wing commaders have the same duty that is to honor

Yeah, but not to follow orders BLINDLY, and after doing something inhumane, evil or simply wrong, just say he was just following orders.

Agreed, but *defending* a group who are our allies for the time being hardly qualifies as inhumane.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Skybolt
Yeah, but not to follow orders BLINDLY, and after doing something inhumane, evil or simply wrong, just say he was just following orders.

That's where honor comes into it. When that type of situation comes up, a soldier must decide between duty and honor.

That would be a hard choice, but the worse part is when your in a position like Squad Commander. I see that as worse, as, not only might your views differ (and while you have the power to complain, you won't get much accomplished), you also have to send off other people who may dislike such missions to violate their morals.

Back