Spore

Isn't a company entitled to protect their software however they see fit? And shouldn't a person play the game before they actually say 'oh, well I read this review about the DRM and arbitrarily decided to throw a bad review at the game'?

Well, ofcourse they are intitled to protect their software, but not on the COST of the END user. 'Draconian" DRM kills the community, hence why many developers release their games lately with no copy protection at all - everyone wins here, because people who will buy the game, will buy the game and won't get harassed by activation systems while people who steal the game, will still steal it no matter what protection is used.

Throwing a bad review based on the DRM alone is unjustified as well, but lets face the truth - You won't get a fourth installation without contacting and asking for one at EA, and people don't like to "beg" . I don't like that either, that's why I think these rules steal that cherry on top of that pie. And people like cherries?

The 'DRM' related reviews are because everyone on the internet is really, really dumb. If you even begin to think doing that is a good idea, you're too stupid to post here. I'm sorry, that's just how it works out.

That said, the word from the legitimate reviews is that Spore isn't as groundbreaking as the hype had suggested -- a good game, but not an amazing game. I personally feel like there's something *missing* to the marketing campaign... I was hyped as all heck to get the creature creator but I haven't found myself rushing out the door to get Spore itself.

I think I have at least one game that uses this kind of copy protection and the game was still worth buying it. So the copy protection dosn't make a game good or bad.

I would like to have these more creative protections again. Like in the WC games where you had to search entries in the manual or Monkey Iland with its wheel.
Thinking back...well not realy ^_^
I prefere to typ in a numeric code at the beginning and thats it. Takes a few seconded and you are ready to go.

Beeing limited in the number of installations. Not the best way in my opinion but the question is if there is an ideal way of protecting games.

Anyway to get back to Spore itself.
What Loaf said "a good game, but not an amazing game" is the point that stopped me.
For nearly 60€ I aspect an outstanding game. I bought good games for less..Crysis for 25€ (ok it was a special offer), Sins for 30€, Mass Effect..think it was 40€.
Concidering that I also wait for Red Alert3 I think I will save my money till both games are out and I could see what RA3 gets in its reviews.

That's sort of strange - how normal is it to see 60 euro games? I don't think Spore is especially expensive here; the regular edition seems to be $49.99, which is the normal price for a new PC game.

49,99$ would be around 36€...that would be good price.
Normal is between 35-45€. Rarely I see games about 50€.

Well I wouldn't wonder when the prizes are dropping in the next few weeks.
I have seen this happening with Assassins Creed. Release nearly 60, three weeks later it was down to 40 at the same shop.

Honestly - the install 3 times doesn't bother me all that much. What bothers me is the need to activate it. I will not buy any software where the publisher can decide that I may not install it or use it whenever I want.
Folks didn't believe me when I had that same problem with Gametap. I don't believe that EA will go bankrupt, but they have a 'nice' track record with pulling the plug on MMORPG. And as long as nobody can stop them to kill the authentication server in a year the only way Spore will see my PC is as a pirated copy.

I advise you all to cut the DRM - and more specifically Piracy - chatter.

If you want to talk about the game itself, feel free. But this needless tangent has to end.

Spore Customizability Spawns Familiar Ships (September 21, 2008)

Eddieb has moved beyond simple Kilrathi in the Spore Creature Creator, and his latest results are some impressive Wing Commander ships. He's built the Tiger's Claw, a Broadsword and a Dragon fighter so far. They look fairly accurate while retaining the unique look and feel of the Spore game.

wcspore01.png

wcspore02.png

wcspore03.png

--
Original update published on September 21, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm well on the way to evolving my Firekkan culture. They're in the animal stage at the moment. By the middle of the week they should have sentience and a final body. By the middle of next month they could be into space, I've also been focusing on my Max culture and they've gone into space already.

Back