[SPOILERS] Star Wars movie thread... [Don't read this thread if you haven't seen the movie yet]

The "Han shot first!" argument always feels to me more like an audience looking to legitimize their general dislike for the changes by drilling down until they locked in on a change that could feel academic rather than glossy. Does it make sense that Han would shoot first? Yes. Was it something anyone was especially concerned with before we crowdsourced the complaint about it and in so doing legitimized criticism of all the edits beyond our innate feeling that the CGI looks kind of dumb? Not really.
As far as I can tell, that's simply not true. At the time when the new editions were first released, many people were actually quite enthusiastic about the added CGI. After all, back then, the CGI didn't look dated and dumb, it looked new and well-polished. By contrast, anybody on record (which, admittedly, is still a tiny fraction of the viewing public) objected to Han being shot at.

It's one of those things that nobody would care about at all, had it been done that way from the start. Han being shot at before shooting does not say anything about his character, nor does it affect the films in any way, so nobody would care at all. I mean, yeah, some people might have said (as they did subsequently) that it's bizarre for Greedo to miss at this distance, but had that been the way it was done from the start, everybody would dismiss it as simply quirky but harmless, in the same way that everybody just laughs off the way stormtroopers always miss. So, it is not the scene as such, but specifically the change from the previous version that riled people, and for two different reasons, one being simply that it damaged a great scene by ruining the surprise ending, and the other being that it seemed to imply a desire to change the way the character would be perceived (which, of course, Lucas himself subsequently confirmed). Granted, this second motive then set in motion a whole bunch of stupidity in the form of "Lucas is out to destroy our childhood", and then things got even worse and stupider with the release of The Phantom Menace, all of which today colours our perception of the whole discussion, and I think inclines us to look at fan complaints in a more negative light. At the end of the day, though, the original complaint in this case was very much a legitimate point, and it was a very solid legitimate point. Now, I do get Lucas' logic when he explains that he wanted the character to better fit in with the cowboy mythology, always being fair and all that, but at the end of the day, it was too deep a change to not be controversial. Quite honestly, I suspect that even though Lucas continues to insist that the change made sense, he seems to also tacitly acknowledge that it was a mistake by making further modifications to the scene in subsequent editions.

Well, there are some weird things in the special editions. Here's an interesting video, I agree with most points

Strange but true: the "Jedi Rocks" track (as well as the Ewok Celebration) were originally not going to be changed to CG, but an issue with music rights made it less expensive to do it all over than to pay the person who was holding out.

Strange but true: the "Jedi Rocks" track (as well as the Ewok Celebration) were originally not going to be changed to CG, but an issue with music rights made it less expensive to do it all over than to pay the person who was holding out.

Is that true? It looks like both Lapti Nek and Ewok Celebration were written by John Williams, and performed by Lucasfilm employees. Here's an interesting article on the former, which claims the original version was used in the film because Lucas was having an affair with the employee who sang it: http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Surprisingly-Strange-Story-of-Lapti-Nek/id/14770

Is that true? It looks like both Lapti Nek and Ewok Celebration were written by John Williams, and performed by Lucasfilm employees. Here's an interesting article on the former, which claims the original version was used in the film because Lucas was having an affair with the employee who sang it: http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Surprisingly-Strange-Story-of-Lapti-Nek/id/14770

Theres a longer reply that I won't put here, as I was asked to keep something secret. This will have to do: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Joseph_Williams

I suppose you've all heard the news by now - Episode VIII is delayed until December, 2017. That doesn't especially bother me, as I'm all for taking extra time for a better finished product (Star Citizen fans throw tomatoes.) And really 18 months between 'episodes' seemed a little too good to be true, anyway!

To the person who suggested doing Rebels comment threads - yes, lets! Looking forward to tonight's Princess Leia episode. (Sadly everyone at CIG has the flu this week, or we'd make a bigger deal out of it coming back here.)

I suppose you've all heard the news by now - Episode VIII is delayed until December, 2017. That doesn't especially bother me, as I'm all for taking extra time for a better finished product (Star Citizen fans throw tomatoes.) And really 18 months between 'episodes' seemed a little too good to be true, anyway!

To the person who suggested doing Rebels comment threads - yes, lets! Looking forward to tonight's Princess Leia episode. (Sadly everyone at CIG has the flu this week, or we'd make a bigger deal out of it coming back here.)
It was me I will start the topic tonight at 9 30

Apologies for missing this one! Yes I did end up truly loving it. I'd be seeing it once a week if the AMC down the street from my apartment hadn't bizarrely decided not to show it.
Nice lol. I wathed it 3 times and each time it got better for me. After the first watch I was confused (was this the best star wars ever? Am i just on a movie high?) but after the 3rd watch it was clear that I love this movie and can't wait to get it on blu ray and watch it a bunch more!

It is a whole day of Star Wars delays! The C-3PO comic that explains his red arm has been moved to the end of March.

(And I got an e-mail saying several of the Hot Toys 1/6th figures I'd ordered were delayed 2-3 months. My brother started me on collecting them at Celebration last year and it's been hell on my wallet. Figures I'd move out to Hollywood and develop an expensive habit :))

I suppose you've all heard the news by now - Episode VIII is delayed until December, 2017.

While I do think bumping the movie back is a sign they want to make a quality product, the age of John Williams has me worried he may not be with us for the next two.

I am actually happy they are delaying episode 8. I didn't feel that 18 months was enough to make a quality product. Lucas used to take 3 years each which i thought was perfectly reasonable. Is rogue one still planned for next December?

for anyone who is interested in keeping up with all the star wars info and news; from the movies, to all the canon including videogames, need to check out this youtube show. it is called jedi council and comes out every thursday night

Back