SPOILER (continues from "Help!" topic)

Enoxigeo

Spaceman
Hello all...
Sorry for my english, but I am Italian.
I will do my best to write as good as I can!
wink.gif

------------------------------------------
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

BE CAREFUL!!!

IF U HAVENT FINISHED THE GAME OR DIDNT GET AT LEAST AT MISSION 18 DONT READ THIS POST OR U WILL READ WHAT HAPPENS IN THE GAME BEFORE PLAYING IT!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

OH...and BTW...I got to mission 18 only...so please dont reply to the topic with things from the next missions...thanks.
wink.gif

---sure u want to continue reading????----
-----------------------
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

OK.....

In the topic titled "Help!" I said that Starlancer is a clone of the2 WC series.
Now I will make a list of the similarities that made me be so sure about this:
tongue.gif

1) The intro is in WC fashion. OK...thats the best way they could have done it...a different one would have been less effective...but...what about the Coalition cloaked ship that de-cloak behind the Alliance one and take it down while it is screaming "what the hell"? (more or less
wink.gif
)
IT IS THE SAME IN WC4 INTRO WITH SEATHER TAKING DOWN THE POOR PILOT and then releasing the FLASH PACK on the cargo ship.

2) The Coalition ships has cloaking system while Alliance one dont (at least at the beginning...exactly as in WC games).
Couldnt have they done the opposite?
They could...maybe not allowing u to use them from the beginning but showing u that others Alliance squadron do...(Vipers for example).

3) Same technologies. Again...there is not much choice in this...but...well...it is so similar. They have taken ALL of the WC technologies and added some more (even the chargable weapon like the Mass Cannon in WC Prophecy= Nova Cannon)
What about the Blind Fire?
The EXCALIBUR from WC3 and DRAGON from WC4 had it too.
The difference is u did get those ships only almost at the end of the game.
They have just put it from the beginning 'cause they realized ppl liked it a lot because it allows u to fligh better without having to care too much at where u are aiming.

4) THE BRIEFING ROOM DEISGN. They could have made it in a thousand different ways....but they havent.

5) The fighters controls...(but that couldnt have been diferent...WC controls were the best)

6) The thing u are in an old wreck like the Reliant (remember the base ships in WC4???)
I know it changes after some missions in Starlancer...but the feeling of being on a bad ship is the same at the beginning of Starlancer as in WC4.

7) The warpgate system. Again...Coalition has it while Alliance dont. Remember those bastard bugs in WC Prophecy and WCSO???
AND U HAVE TO TAKE IT DOWN AS IN WC PROPHECY TAKING DOWN THE GENERATOR!!!
(the difference is there is no need of Hero Blair to get inside and take down the shield generator that portected it
wink.gif
)

7) THE BIG GUN U FIND IN MISSION 18!!!
That is a great clue of how much Starlancer is a clone of WC.
WHY PUTTING THAT THING IN STARLANCER TOO???
They could have invented a thousand of others things...but they re-used the same idea that, BTW, it is CLASSIC in WC (WC3 - remember the Tolwin secret supercannon??- and 5 - the bugs capital ships had it...and then they manage to build it on Blair's capital ship too - sorry I am bad at names - I wouldnt be too much surprised if in the end of this Starlancer game Alliance will develope one too!!!).
But I have to say the idea it can track little fighters too is great. Makes everything more interesting and difficult.

OK...by now I dont remember others similarities and I have to go to sleep too...but I think they are more than enough to say Starlancer is a clone of WC.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

LISTEN TO ME...I am not saying Starlancer sux because of this fact!!! NOT AT ALL!!!
It is still a great game and I think the Roberts have made it so similar to make WC fans at home in Starlancer too
cool.gif

I think it is a great idea and that this will make the Starlancer series success....because it will cause all the WC fans to get a lot involved in SL too...and curious to see how SL story continues in the future...
smile.gif

They are good strategists...but that was clear also without this thing.
Otherwise the WC series wouldnt have been so great.
wink.gif

They know what we want and they give it to us.
biggrin.gif

Believe me...Starlancer will be a great series...(not mentioning Freelancer universe that I think it rock even more!!
biggrin.gif
)

THANKS ROBERTS BRO!!!DIGITAL ANVIL, WORTHDOG AND WHOEVER ELSE!!!
KEEP ON THE GOOD WORK!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Enoxigeo (edited May 08, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost all of those thing you mentioned where not original when they were used in Wing Commander...

------------------
Mick Foley is a pretty guy.

Gib Keeg said:
Almost all of those thing you mentioned where not original when they were used in Wing Commander...

That doesnt matter GIB...I am talking about WC-SL smiliraities now...
wink.gif

HEY...nobody is reading nor replying to this post?? What?...u still havent finished the game???
biggrin.gif

OK...see ya later then
smile.gif

1) The intro is in WC fashion. OK...thats the best way they could have done it...a different one would have been less effective...but...what about the Coalition cloaked ship that de-cloak behind the Alliance one and take it down while it is screaming "what the hell"? (more or less
wink.gif
)
IT IS THE SAME IN WC4 INTRO WITH SEATHER TAKING DOWN THE POOR PILOT and then releasing the FLASH PACK on the cargo ship.
Actualy, though the intro was similar, it just didn’t seem right. How could the Coalition get so many cloacked fighters in there when the Alliance knows about the Coalition having that tech? The Alliance should have had tens, or even hundreds of fighters around. Though I did like the ground battle.

2) The Coalition ships has cloaking system while Alliance one dont (at least at the beginning...exactly as in WC games).
Couldnt have they done the opposite?
They could...maybe not allowing u to use them from the beginning but showing u that others Alliance squadron do...(Vipers for example).
Actually, the Alliance does have cloacking from the beginning. The Shroud always had it, though no one in the 45th has a high enough rank to fly one.

3) Same technologies. Again...there is not much choice in this...but...well...it is so similar. They have taken ALL of the WC technologies and added some more (even the chargable weapon like the Mass Cannon in WC Prophecy= Nova Cannon)[/QUOTE[You mean the Charging Mass Driver? Yes, the charging, and the power of the guns are similar (just a note, a charging gun like that was already in WC4, the Fission cannon).

What about the Blind Fire?
The EXCALIBUR from WC3 and DRAGON from WC4 had it too.
Don’t forget the Bearcat.
smile.gif

They have just put it from the beginning 'cause they realized ppl liked it a lot because it allows u to fligh better without having to care too much at where u are aiming.
Personally, I don’t care about the Blind Fire. My favorite ship (the Nagitana) doesn’t have it, and it certainly doesn’t need one.
biggrin.gif

4) THE BRIEFING ROOM DEISGN. They could have made it in a thousand different ways....but they havent.
Yeah, it’s similar to the WC1/WC2 briefing rooms. Though those rooms are similar in most games, so that’s not surprising.

5) The fighters controls...(but that couldn’t have been different...WC controls were the best)
The way your fighter handles is definitely different in some ways.

6) The thing u are in an old wreck like the Reliant (remember the base ships in WC4???)
Yeah, I do. The TCS Lexington, and Concordia class fleet carrier.
smile.gif

I know it changes after some missions in Starlancer...but the feeling of being on a bad ship is the same at the beginning of Starlancer as in WC4.
Yeah, though in SL it’s reversed, you start out on a good ship in WC4, and end up in an old one.

7) The warpgate system. Again...Coalition has it while Alliance dont. Remember those bastard bugs in WC Prophecy and WCSO???
The Alliance gets it soon enough. And Confed (or rather Pilgrims) have the hopper drives that allow them to create artificial gravtiy wells. The idea behind it is the same.
AND U HAVE TO TAKE IT DOWN AS IN WC PROPHECY TAKING DOWN THE GENERATOR!!!
(the difference is there is no need of Hero Blair to get inside and take down the shield generator that portected it
wink.gif
)
But you don’t take it out at the end of the game.
smile.gif

7) THE BIG GUN U FIND IN MISSION 18!!!
The Ion Cannon? You find it earlier actualy.
That is a great clue of how much Starlancer is a clone of WC.
Not really. Most games have a *big* gun that can destroy everything.
WHY PUTTING THAT THING IN STARLANCER TOO???
See above.

They could have invented a thousand of others things...but they re-used the same idea that, BTW, it is CLASSIC in WC (WC3 - remember the Tolwin secret supercannon??
There are many differences between the Behemoth and the Ion cannon
- and 5 - the bugs capital ships had it...
This also, isn’t that similar to the Ion.

and then they manage to build it on Blair's capital ship too
I dind’t know Blair had a capship
smile.gif

"and then they manage to build it on Blair's capital ship too"
You talking about the Midway? He helped design it and supposedly it was his idea, but it wasn't "his".

Eartworm, what u say confirms my theory.
If u wanted to say I am right u could have wrote it clearly
wink.gif

No matter if some things are before or after the point they were put in WC games, her in SL u find all the main things they put in WC too.

U cant deny this.

No matter if those things are in others games too, the important thing is that they were in the WC series
smile.gif

If I am not worng I have written "......and then they manage to build it on Blair's capital ship too - sorry I am bad at names..".

That means I didnt remember the name and surely I dont think it is HIS ship, it was just a way to indicate it. LOL!!!
biggrin.gif

Now, wait a second. Now you're just being silly, Enoxigeo.
No matter if those things are in others games too, the important thing is that they were in the WC series.
But if they were in other games too, then who says they copied it from WC? The fact is, WC was hardly very original. All that stuff has been heard of before, and in fact is generally present in most SF universes. To say that SL is a WC clone just because it has the same technology as WC did is just plain silly. IF it is a clone, that's because of the gameplay, not the storyline. As for the gameplay, I will refrain from making any comments until I have my own copy of SL to play through.

Simply because Worthdog, DA and the Roberts took those things from WC and not others games
smile.gif

How do I know?
Because they worked at WC not at others games.
smile.gif

And...if u havent played SL yet...dont get offended, but please play it...then maybe u could change your mind
wink.gif

Oh...AND I REPEAT I DONT CONSIDER SL A BAD GAME BECAUSE IT IS A WC CLONE.
I like it...a lot.

It is just the FIRST of a long series (I hope)
smile.gif
..it is quite obvious it cant be good, involving and great as the WC series.

You haven't been listening. Those things are everywhere. Therefore, to use them will not make anything a clone of anything. There are plenty of games out there which contain the same technology, and the people making them moved back and forth between various companies. But I haven't heard anybody saying anything about WWII games being clones of other WWII games because in those games, people shoot other people using guns. Oh, and almost every WWII game (based in the Pacific, at least) ends with the use of a super-weapon. Hmm... yeah, they must all be clones of... something.
tongue.gif

Incidentally, it's Warthog, not Worthdog.

OK...I've understood we are considering all this from 2 points of view completely different...yours is more wide, but I think u are loosing something that is related only to WC and SL.

No matter...what is important is that SL is a good game and if it will get enough success we will have something similar (for a reason or for another) to the WC series...that is my favourite game over all.

KOOL!!!!
biggrin.gif

(Warthdog..ok..thanks for the lesson
wink.gif
)

[This message has been edited by Enoxigeo (edited May 11, 2000).]

No, it's WARTHOG. There's no D in there
smile.gif

Yes, I am looking from a wider perspective. But the point is, I'm not losing something which is related to SL and WC only. What you're doing, however, is unnecesarily trying to prove the existence of links where there is none (storyline-wise, that is). Had Roberts worked on SW instead of WC, SL would still be the same as it is.

Sure...because SW would have been like WC!!!!
biggrin.gif

[WARTHOG...yeah...I noticed the mistake!!! (the second one too
wink.gif
)]

BTW...I hope u are not getting anoyed by our discussion because I am enjoying it.
Ppl can have different points of view...and if u think I am stupid...thats too bad...'cause I could think the same of u (but I dont).

[This message has been edited by Enoxigeo (edited May 12, 2000).]

Oh, I don't mind at all that you have a different point of view
smile.gif
. What would this place be like if everybody agreed?

I guess it would be much more peaceful...
No need for war...
But also....no space fight sims?
smile.gif

MUHAHAHA!!!
wink.gif

Back