Spiculum IR - why I can't launch it?

OSH

Rear Admiral
Situation: Ghorah Khar 2 D. I'm facing against 4 Gothri. I've locked Spiculum IR from large distance. Why I can't launch it?? It's very frustrating. This mission is damn hard and eliminating at least one Gothri on dogfight begin will be very helpful. I can't simply understand it!

Have you tried using the dedicated "launch missile" button (which I believe is enter)? Sometimes the joystick button combination can be finnicky.

Ok. Do you play on a vintage PC or on a modern one via DOSBox? If the latter is the case, which DOSBox version do you have?

Hmmm.... have you tried playing SO1 on a standard DOSBox build to test if the missile button works in that enviroment?

Btw those YKHWong builds are fantastic, especially because of Munt Reloaded. I use them myself but I haven tried WC2 on that build yet. :)

Hmmm.... have you tried playing SO1 on a standard DOSBox build to test if the missile button works in that enviroment?

Btw those YKHWong builds are fantastic, especially because of Munt Reloaded. I use them myself but I haven tried WC2 on that build yet. :)
No, not yet. But You give me the reason to try. I will report! :)

Well... I've tested it on original DOSBOX 0.74, DOSBOX 0,.74 with 3DFX emulation and even on Kilrathi Saga version. Problem exists on each version... can someone confirm?

dont know if this will help but, I play the GOG version and I noticed if there are too many enemies on the screen missiles will not fire, after you clear a couple out thing return to normal with the missiles.

dont know if this will help but, I play the GOG version and I noticed if there are too many enemies on the screen missiles will not fire, after you clear a couple out thing return to normal with the missiles.

He said it happened on Kilrathi Saga as well so it may not be an issue with GOG's version. Still, there are moments where the action is so hectic it took a few presses of the button before it fired.

Have you tried not mapping your controller and firing with the old fashioned method of pressing button 1 (your trigger) and 2 at the same time?

P.S.
I'm the same Whistler on the RSI forums.

i'm in the exact same position. I've replayed this mission 50 times or so and can't seem to beat it. It would be nice if my missiles fired when I asked them to.

edit:

Jesus. After several hours I finally beat this beast of a missions. I believe there's some truth not being able to fire missiles when there are too many enemies on screen. It's far more dependable to fire rockets when you're down to the last few fighters.

Also, If you equip the chaff pods, then target the Fraltha's, you can then fly much further away while maintaining a lock. Then switch to the torpedoes while safely out of range and fire away.

Whew.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned above that the missile will launch once you've taken out an enemy or two. I don't remember if this is indeed the case, but it does sound plausible - WC2 did have a much lower limit on the number of ships, so the presence of that many other objects may interfere with missiles. Unfortunately, I can't think of any other reason you'd be having this problem - and from what I can see above, when the topic came up two years ago, nobody did either.

Back