Speed?

Just multiply the speed in k/s by 3600... so a 400k/s ship would travel at 1440000 k/h

I don´t think it was wasted, it gave me info that I didn´t know. It was just short. Wasted threads are those who have 100 posts, 10 of them interesting and 90 about religion, flames, etc...

I do, it´s just that I hope that there will be further discussion on WC speed, which seems a little off-scale at times...

The speed scale always bothered me... going 300k/s, but I can still SEE the enemy fighter (probably 300k/s too) fly by me. Felt more like k/h than k/s...

Originally posted by t.c.cgi
The speed scale always bothered me... going 300k/s, but I can still SEE the enemy fighter (probably 300k/s too) fly by me. Felt more like k/h than k/s...

It was especially silly in WCP. How long does it take to fly from one end of the Midway to the other? About ten or twenty seconds, right? Wouldn't that make the Midway roughly the size of, oh, say, North America?

Just keep saying to yourself, "It's only a game." ;)

Originally posted by milo
Just keep saying to yourself, "It's only a game." ;)

I know. I suppose it was a compromise between the depth of space, and being able to dogfight. But that doesn't make it any less distracting when you're waiting for something in-game. And then theres the fact you can hear the enemy completly. I actualy played through once with SFX off in WC3, and it wasn't that bad.

I'm loath to explain the speed craziness again -- there's a recent thread up at SpaceBattles where I do a fine job of all that. If you can't find it I'll do a we-can-paste-this-anywhere type explanation later today...

As for sound: modern aircraft have systems that simulate for the pilot the sound of the environment... spacecraft would presumably have far *more* of a use for such a thing.

i agree with the fact that it's just a game however milo's comment about the size of the midway did make me laugh... i never really noticed the speed of the ships... it is a little odd but i htink i'll still get to sleep tonight.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I'm loath to explain the speed craziness again -- there's a recent thread up at SpaceBattles where I do a fine job of all that.

Indeed... we had pictures and everything.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I'm loath to explain the speed craziness again -- there's a recent thread up at SpaceBattles where I do a fine job of all that. If you can't find it I'll do a we-can-paste-this-anywhere type explanation later today...

Ahh.... I see where our priorities are now....;)

On thing about speed that always made me wonder was, if the capships are supossedly 'slow' , why do we always see them flying through jump points as fast as fighters!?!:confused:

Originally posted by vax

On thing about speed that always made me wonder was, if the capships are supossedly 'slow' , why do we always see them flying through jump points as fast as fighters!?!:confused:

Because flying into jump points at anywhere near maximum is only done when you're in a damned hurry. Jumps at fast speeds can result in the ship not all being in the point on jump and half the ship or so not making it through.

You must also rememebr that, if you provide enough thrust, you can theoretically move at the speed of light. Remeber in space, there is nothing natural to stop you, other than the obviouses.

Why we sometimes see cap ships move as fast, or faster, than fighters is explained in just about every book. They close the scoops so that there is no drag, and cap ships carry enough fuel to move at rediculous speeds. There reason why they don't seem to move in combat is that it would be impractical to fly at those speeds. It would also be impractable for fighters. While I'll let LOAF provide the full detailed answer to your question (as he proclaimed), your questions can be answered with a little knowledge space flight physics.

I was just wondering because when you compare the numbers from the books (such as top speed), the capships numbers seem so slow compared to fighters. Maybe I'm just too obsessed. It's just a game....it's just a game....

Originally posted by TC

Because flying into jump points at anywhere near maximum is only done when you're in a damned hurry. Jumps at fast speeds can result in the ship not all being in the point on jump and half the ship or so not making it through.

Has a ship ever entered a jump node and never come back out again, forever being trapped in jumpspace?

Originally posted by BlueClaw

Has a ship ever entered a jump node and never come back out again, forever being trapped in jumpspace?

Presumably yes. Some Jump Points do NOT lead to other Jump Points, instead leading to "nowhere". Probes sent through such Jump Points are never heard from again. However, I do not recall any of the games mentioning any specific cases of ships jumping to nowhere.

Back