Speech in Privateer1 CD

rainy

Rear Admiral
I'm glad I've happened to find your forum because Privateer is one of my favourite games.There is, however, a small problem which bothers me: the digitized speech is slurred and within seconds stops completely.The music track on the contrary sounds good.
My specs:
AthlonXP 2400+ running on old MSI mobo(KT266A), 512MB Ram, Audigy1
Win98SE DirectX 9.0c , drivers and software from Audigy2 ZS CD (plus DOS drivers from my Audigy CD)
I run Privateer directly from Windows using MyJEMM.
I hope for some help.

Try to limit the ammount of EMM memory to 16 MB or less.

PS: Any idea if there are also DOS drivers for the Audigy2 (or would the ones from the Audigy 1 work?

Thanks a lot, cff, for response.
I've tried various amounts of EMM memory (from 4 up to 16) without success.
I'm afraid there no DOS drivers for Audigy2.The Audigy1 drivers may work depending on your OS(DOS drivers cooperate only with Windows VxD model drivers).
Look also page:
hxxp://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t23233.html

Thanks Moonsword for response.I've tried various options: Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster Pro, Sound Blaster 16.In vain. Here's my autoexec and config:

Autoexec.bat
rem mode con codepage prepare=((852) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
rem mode con codepage select=852
rem keyb pl,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keybrd4.sys
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
rem lh C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\ATITEC~1\ATICON~1

Config.sys
rem DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe
rem Device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=048,852,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 16384 RAM
DOS=HIGH,UMB
BUFFERSHIGH=30
FILESHIGH=50
STACKSHIGH=9,256

Maybe this Privateer is a specific case because most of my old games work smoothly (both sound and music ).

Looks ok. But yo uare running this in a dos window, right? In that case you should also verify that the ammount of EMM memory is set to 16 MB in the settings of the DOS window - not only in the config.sys. I dunno if that makes the difference, but worth a try.
If that doesn't help as well I'd try DOSBOX. On your PC it should be able to play P1 I guess.

Tango, what`s your setup?
the official release of DosBOX demands a LOT of power to run priv. The versions that Gulikoza compiled and posted in this forun (other thread) are a lot faster.

You could try running the game from a Dos bootdisk. Since it is easier to troubleshoot, you will then know if your sound card drivers are ok.
Otherwise, try experimenting with different settings for Speech/SFX in the Install Menu. Lots of possible combinations, but it worked for me.

Edfilho said:
Tango, what`s your setup?
the official release of DosBOX demands a LOT of power to run priv. The versions that Gulikoza compiled and posted in this forun (other thread) are a lot faster.

Pentium 1.8 Mhz with 64mb video card... is not enough?
I don't know the right cicles setup yet... some help?

TanGO

I wish to thank all who tried to solve my issue which after all is not such a big problem. It's rather my stubborn striving to have the game working with full effect.
I'll have to cope with it as it is.Thanks again, everybody.

Strange as it may seem, I've at last solved the problem:first of all, I've installed the latest Audigy2/ZS drivers(WDM), then I've uninstalled the Audigy DOS drivers, and finally I've installed unofficial Service Pack for Win98SE (I'm not sure however if it has
had any real effect).
Now, the sound works perfectly and I think I had been mislead by the author of myjemm who recommended the use of VxD drivers.

Well if you plan on using myjemm you need VXD drivers. I don't know if any WDM ones that would provide legacy sound emulation in a DOS window. Dosbox is a completely different topic.

As a matter of fact, I use myjemm with WDM drivers and it works perfectly while it doesn't work properly with VxD drivers (sound problem).

One moment... You want to tell me you run any kind of WC in a normal '98 DOS window (non dosbox) with an Audigy 2ZS and you get sound? HOW?!?!?! I don't hear a thing.

Yes, my Privateer runs smoothly in Windows98 DOS window.As you remember, I use Audigy1 with Audigy2/ZS drivers thru compatibility patch.

I am still amazed that this patch would work together with WDM based drivers. Do you happen to know a place where I could download the Audigy 1 DOS drivers (the patch you mentioned needs them in order to work and I wonder if it would also work on a native Audigy2)

I happen to know such a place: I have just uploaded the Audigy1 DOS drivers plus patch for Audigy2 card using these drivers! How to find it:
http://portal.hot.ee
Click on Sisene then fill out twice Creative01 and confirm with Sisene(sorry but this is Estonian site).If you encounter any difficulties get in touch.

Back