Spec Ops Full English Download

Killer Wolf

Spaceman
Apologies if this is buried somewhere already - i've had a quick scan and i can't see anything obvious tho...

I've just downloaded the "Full English" spec ops pack, installed it, but when i click the Play button, i get an error message saying "IFF::IFF open file 'menu\register.iff' not found and not optional"

Am i missing something blindingly obvious?

TIA,
KW
//\oo/\\

Wait... Secret Ops or Special Ops? Former is the stand-alone sequel to Prophecy, the latter is an add-on to WC2.

But seeing as it's talking about IFFs, I assume you mean Secret Ops. Things like that will happen if there's a file missing. AFAIK, there is no 'full' version of WCSO available any longer - if you download the first episode from the CIC, it should run without any problems.

Secret...

Sorry, i meant Secret Ops, the "Black" missions for Prophecy.
If there's a file missing, has no one else had ths prob then? The thing was downloaded off this site, i would've thought someone would've spotted it before.

What do you mean by downloading the "first episode"?

cheers
KW

Ah, you probably mean 'full' version meaning that includes all the speech, etc. The first episode is the main ~120 MB download. The rest of the episodes come with Prophecy Gold.

I thought at one time they were available to be downloaded on Origin's website. They took them down a few months before I even got an internet connection. Man how time flies...

Well, i managed to snag a copy of WCP Gold off Amazon for under £10 :)
loaded it all, didn't work, swore at it, went back later, worked fine for no apparent reason. uses the WIn95 emulater option. Ship switcher also works in SO, not tried it in WCP itself yet tho. downloaded the video skipping fix but when i tried to run it said something about a missing file :-(
KW

Yeah, WCP and SO need Win95 combatibility modes set under WinXP.

Give a little more detail on the missing file, we may be able to help you.

Vid Fixer

Cheers Wedge.

Ok - i unzipped it into the Prophecy directory and ran the game. Still skipped. When i looked in the directory, i had a file called "prophecy_video_fix", and in that were a "prophecy" thingy w/ a star icon, and a dll named "wcphr". clicking on the dll does nothing but give me a standard warning about opening dlls, and when i clicked on the "prophecy" whosit, i got the message "please rerun the instal program. (GL::load dll failed 5)" >:-/
WHAT install program?? i thought this was what was missing cos surely it can't mean the Prophecy install itself....??

i suck at downloads of the net, nothing ever seems to work right :-(

KW
//\oo/\\

you have to copy these files to the WCP directory, but make a backupcopy of the original ones first. This was probably in the instructions somewhere.

The video skipping fix is a part of HCl's high-resolution patch, whether you choose to use the skip fix with or without it. IIRC, there should be a modified prophecy.exe and an upgraded wcphr.dll. You might as well use the high-resolution patch too, it's well worth it.

Well, i got the hi-res patch installed - it's squashed up the videos into a small window so the "hot" zones of the rec room are all outta whack, and while my guns fire to the centre of my monitor (the game screen is full size) , the crosshairs are about an inch off, to the upper left. i set it to 800x600 and my normal screen res is 1024x768 or whatever - is that what's conflicting? i originally installed it at the 1024etc size, but the window was even smaller.

goddamn, i'm itching to play - no vid skipping and the graphics look stunning!
KW
//\oo/\\

You need to run the actual patch, not just copy the files over. Or... you could look for a text file is generated by the patch and alter the resolution directly. AFAIK, the text file is used by the patch to correctly size the window.

Yeah, that's what i meant - i've copied everythng and run it from the little WC icon that's provided in the High-res folder; if i use the one on my desktop i get the normal, unmodified game.
the text doc just says "800 600 driver.d3d"
i've been looking the game over, and the vids are in a small window like i said, but the game itself is odd - it's full screen and i fire to the centre as expected, but my gauges and sights appear to be in the video-size window, hence them being out of alignment. is that making any sense? i took a screen print, but i dunno how to post it here.

KW
//\oo/\\

If I understand you right, gauges, videos, etc remain at the same size as the original 640x480 resolution.

oh. bugger.
oh wel, i'll just make a gunsight out of transparent plastic to stick in the right place then :-D

cheers for the help Wedge.

KW
//\oo/\\

Goddammit. why does my hi-res version keep picking up the wrong save game? i created the thing in the middle of another game (normal res version) then didn't play it further due to trying to get the screen size thingy sorted. now i've started playing it, from the icon in the WCPHR folder, and the first time in it started up my last missing from the normal game (ie, the "attack the gate" mission"). i created a new pilot, have flown a couple missions, but whenever i start it picks up the gate mission again >:-(
i've tried deleting all the save/history data for the old pilot, still starts it up. tried changing to the new pilot but it doesn't seem to do anything - when i return to the rec room i'm still at the old-pilot position :-(

anyone tell me how i get this goddamn thing to just let me play the new campaign? ive successfully finished the old campaign but it keeps loading it up, as though it hasn't stored the fact that that game is completed.

KW
//\oo/\\

Back